Big Ten BB Ticket Prices

Southpaw

Reaction score
Have you ever wondered what other B10 basketball fans have to pay for tickets? Here's an informal survey based on visiting the official websites for each of the teams in the B10. I apologize in advance for the data gaps - some of the sites required registration for season ticket info - I didn't do that, but rather, just took the info that was readily available. Here goes:

Minnesota
Season: $594 (excludes premium fees of $700/$1,025 for seats on the main level between the baselines)
Single Game: $35 for all games except 2 exhibitions ($20)

Michigan
Season: Couldn't find (this is one of the data gaps I warned you about)
Go Blue Pack: (Purdue, Kansas, Ohio St, Wisconsin) $60 ($12.50 per game)
Weekend Pack: (Five B10 weekend games) $90 ($12.50 per game)
Non-Conf: Most games are $5-$15 depending on seating area
B10 + Utah: $10-$22 depending on seating area

Michigan State
Season: Upper bench $221; upper chair $374
Note: lower deck devoted to student and premium seating. This is the first year MSU is charging premium seat fees -they range from $400 for center court (roughly same area that Minnesota charges $1,025); $250 for sections either side of center court (Minn charges $700); and $125 for rest of lower deck.
Non-Conf: $15-$32
B10: Not yet on sale

Ohio State
Season: Couldn't find
Non-Conf: $20 upper; $32 lower
B10: $20/ $32 (includes fees)

Wisconsin
Season: $396 upper; $432 lower (premium seat fees ranging from $50-$150 for lower level and center sections of upper level)
Non-Conf: $24-$26
B10: $24-$26

Purdue
Season: $394 upper
Single game: only 2 games listed (IPFW $24; NW $28)

Illinois
Season: A Level $604; B Level $550; C Level $406 (didn't see any evidence of premium seat fees)
Non-Conf: $22-$40
B10: $34-$40

Northwestern
Season: $224
Non-Conf: $22
B10: $27

Penn State
Season: $220
Single: $15 upper; $18 lower

Indiana
Season: $460 upper; $674 lower
Single: couldn't find

Iowa
Season: $266
Non-Conf: $25 for Iowa St; $20 for UNI; $12 for the rest
B10: $25 for weekend; $20 for weekday

Conclusions? Draw your own, but it seems to me that the premium seating expannsion slated for the 2012 seaon is totally unwarranted - we already pay top dollar compared to our B10 brethren. Illinois seems comparable price-wise but keep in mind that their prices do not include a premium seat fee.

My favorite pricing structure is that offered by Michigan - you can order the best 9 games on the schedule (Eight B10 + Kansas) for $12.50 per ticket - Wow!

$35 for any non-conf game is insane. The U should be giving them free to football season ticket holders so than can see a Gopher victory before 2011.

I am wondering

Why are our ticket prices for the "big 3" sports so much higher than compared to other Big Ten schools? I wonder if maybe our big 3 support more sports in out athletic department? Maybe these other big ten schools have less sports to cover. I can see Michigan offering cheaper seats since they cram 100K into a single football game, but still it just doesn't seem to add up. We really do bleed our season ticket holders in our 3 main sports.

I wonder what the student prices are. I bet some are waaaay more pricey.

Arena Sizes:

Illinois: 16,618
Indiana:17,456
MSU: 15,085
PSU:15,261
Iowa: 15,500
Michigan: 13,751
Becky: 17,230
Purdue: 14,123
OSU:19,200
Northwestern: 8,117
Nebraska: 13,595
Barn:14,625

$35 for any non-conf game is insane. The U should be giving them free to football season ticket holders so than can see a Gopher victory before 2011.

Been that price for years more or less.

What is not on this list is the required donation for all schools. That is where you really find out the true price.

Why are our ticket prices for the "big 3" sports so much higher than compared to other Big Ten schools? I wonder if maybe our big 3 support more sports in out athletic department? Maybe these other big ten schools have less sports to cover. I can see Michigan offering cheaper seats since they cram 100K into a single football game, but still it just doesn't seem to add up. We really do bleed our season ticket holders in our 3 main sports.

Because there are donations at each school that may not show up on these lists to get the better seats.

I think if you could some how compare ticket for ticket (our 50 vs michigans best 50) plus donations it would all be the same.

We do have some of the higher ticket prices in the Big Ten, as well as the country, but in fairness to the U I must say the (per game) ticket prices have gone up only marginally over the last few years. No complaints here.

I'd guess with the seating re-allocation & premium seating $$$ increase in 2012-13 that we'll get hit pretty hard again at that point. ... but at least we have some time to prepare for it. Just hope that with the $$$ increase Tubby starts giving season-ticket holders more bang for their buck (an occasional BCS and/or name opponent or two, in addition to the ACC Challenge) in November & December.

Been that price for years more or less.

What is not on this list is the required donation for all schools. That is where you really find out the true price.

I realize this but I don't understand why it is that way. The U might get a few more people in the upper deck if they charged $20 instead of $35 to watch the Gophers play Brown college.

I wonder what the student prices are. I bet some are waaaay more pricey.

Not necessarily - here's a few quick examples of student ticket prices:

Ohio State: 10-game package (Nine B10 + NC AT&T) = $132
Penn State: $59 season
Wisconsin: 2 half-season packages (9 games) = $90
Purdue: $140 BB only or $250 for VIP All Sports Pass (including FB) - limited to first 5,000 students

Minnesota has by far the largest pool of fans to draw from for which buying season tickets and going to 80%+ of the games is actually feasible. This is due to campus being located in a major metropolitan area. My guess is demand for Gopher bball season tickets is higher than all other big ten schools for this reason alone. It'd be tough to pony up for 18-20 games if I lived an hour or more from the arena. I imagine other schools have huge fans that are only able to attend maybe 3 games a year just because of the distance.

I realize this but I don't understand why it is that way. The U might get a few more people in the upper deck if they charged $20 instead of $35 to watch the Gophers play Brown college.

That is not true. Are people not showing up because of the the team Brown or the price?

They could end up with more or less the same amount of people, and end up losing money.

That is not true. Are people not showing up because of the the team Brown or the price?

They could end up with more or less the same amount of people, and end up losing money.

It's a combination of both. Why are we the only Big Ten team to charge the same for conf and non-conf? Are they just lazy over at the U and can't figure out more than one price structure. I would like to go to the the Wofford game but I'm not spending $35 for a ticket. What does the U charge for obstructed view tickets?

Guys, don't you think if we would generate more revenue from football, this would ease the pressure of squeezing every last dime out of the b-ball program's fans? What are we, like 10th, in football *revenue*?

Fill the stupid football stadium, which would allow you to raise the prices for football, generating more revenue and then there wouldn't be so much pressure to totally maximize b-ball revenue. Am I wrong?

You're off on your prices for Minny

The per-seat fees (considered donations) are actually $700 and $1025 each depending on where you sit. Between the baselines are mostly $1025 each for all chairbacks. I pay a $1025 donation each for my seats located 19 rows up at the free throw line and another $700 each for my seats 10 rows up in the corner. They are going to re-seat next season because there are a lot of seats near half court that people have had forever and carry no donation fees.

The per-seat fees (considered donations) are actually $700 and $1025 each depending on where you sit. Between the baselines are mostly $1025 each for all chairbacks. I pay a $1025 donation each for my seats located 19 rows up at the free throw line and another $700 each for my seats 10 rows up in the corner. They are going to re-seat next season because there are a lot of seats near half court that people have had forever and carry no donation fees.

So you pay $1025+594 for each seat you have in row 19?

It's a combination of both. Why are we the only Big Ten team to charge the same for conf and non-conf? Are they just lazy over at the U and can't figure out more than one price structure. I would like to go to the the Wofford game but I'm not spending $35 for a ticket. What does the U charge for obstructed view tickets?

Don't pay it. Scalp. Or buy an obstructed view ticket, and move up. I know tons of people that pay less by just scalping.

I honestly think dropping the price will only cost them money.

Don't pay it. Scalp. Or buy an obstructed view ticket, and move up. I know tons of people that pay less by just scalping.

Obstructed view is the same price. I've used the secondary market plenty of times but it can be a hassle and I wish I my ten bucks would go to the U. Why can't an obstructed view ticket only cost ten bucks during non conf?

Two factors to add into the Purdue price is the cost of being a John Purdue Club member($200 minimum-goes for scholarships) and Purdue will also institute a "preferred seating" fees starting next year. $100 per seat for lowers and $50 for uppers, I believe.

Guys, don't you think if we would generate more revenue from football, this would ease the pressure of squeezing every last dime out of the b-ball program's fans? What are we, like 10th, in football *revenue*?

Fill the stupid football stadium, which would allow you to raise the prices for football, generating more revenue and then there wouldn't be so much pressure to totally maximize b-ball revenue. Am I wrong?

Not totally. The EADA numbers quoted earlier in the fall are hard to use because not every school counts expenses or revenue the same. For instance, the U doesn't keep parking revenue in the athletic dept and doesn't count facilities costs into the per sport costs.

That said, MV on the FBT blog has been alluding to the fact that the new EADA numbers put MN squarely in the middle of the Big Ten for football and total dept revenues. He plans on doing a post soon that lays out the details.

Football definitely plays a roll in this (if the FB team were selling out a 80-100K stadium every home game they'd obviously be pulling in more revenue for the dept) but its not like they are bottom of the Big Ten either.

They will, because all of the suckers like myself and many on this board pay the $35 a ticket, and that would just reduce our costs. For those of you without season tickets, you can get a ticket to every single game, for less than what us season ticket holders pay...and you'll probably get better seats. Just something you have to deal with being a Gopher season ticket holder.

At the end of the day I pay more for the non-conference than I'd like to. But I want my Big 10 seats in advance and I'm willing to pay for them.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the reallotment. If I have to pay more, I will. And if after the reallotment you aren't happy about what you're paying or where you are sitting you should go and buy Iowa season tickets.

Can we start calling them Nebraska East?

Yes, they are roughly $90 each per game with the donation. The donation is tax deductable.

Ouch! I'm guessing you don't make it to every game and selling them for $35 is not easy during non-conf and some big ten games. Do you get any benefit other than seat location for the donation? I know if I didn't get a parking/tailgating spot by TCF Stadium, I would be hard pressed to pony up the extra $1000 for my football tix.

Maybe it is just a Minnesota thing to ignore STH:
NBA Team Season-Ticket Benefits

A team-by-team look at the features teams give their season-ticket holders.

Atlanta Hawks
Among the benefits Hawks season-ticket holders receive are a Meet theTeam event, access to a Restaurant of the Month program, the ability to exchange unused tickets for a future game and complimentary Atlanta Thrashers tickets.

Boston Celtics
This is the second year of the Celtics Season Ticket Holder Tenure Program, which boasts 120 holders who have been with the team for 40-plus seasons. Here are benefits for each tier of STHs:
-Hall of Famers (39-plus consecutive seasons) have a private lunch with Celtics Hall of Fame player and current broadcaster Tommy Heinsohn.
-MVPs (32-39 seasons) get a meet-and-greet with Celtics greats Bob Cousy, Satch Sanders and M.L. Carr.
-Legends (20-31 seasons) and All-Stars (10-19 seasons) embark on a Chalk Talk meeting with Celtics ownership and past legendary players.
-Veterans (5-9 seasons) receive a Celtics-branded gift pack.
-Pride (2-4 seasons) are given access to a special event while Rookies are given a gift pack.

Charlotte Bobcats
Call it a perk of the team’s owner. Premium season-ticket holders who renew early nab a guaranteed spot in the Bobcats Fantasy Camp each July, which features majority team owner Michael Jordan. The premium tag comes from someone who owns a courtside seat, one in the first ten rows or club suite, among others.

Chicago Bulls
Bulls season-ticket holders receive the following benefits, among others: free tickets to the pre-season team autograph session and open practice; “Backstage Tours” of the United Center and Bulls locker room; a copy of the official team yearbook; ticket management at Bulls.com which include tickets e-mailed for free and the ability to sell tickets above face value to other fans.

Cleveland Cavaliers
The Benchwarmers program, in its fifth year, gives season-ticket holders the chance to sit on the Cavs home bench to watch pre-game warm-ups. Twelve spots are available for each game and the spots are chosen at random.

Denver Nuggets
Playing off the U.S. economy’s struggles, the Nuggets Stimulus Offer gives season-ticket holders who purchase two seats at full price the option to add two additional seats at the Lower or Club level for $800 apiece. That comes out to $19 per seat per game, including pre-season action.

Detroit Pistons
A Build My Game Plan feature is available to Pistons season-ticket holders. They can customize their experience by choosing their seats, price range, the 11 regular season games and one pre-season game they want to attend and one additional item of their choice. That includes going to a pre-season Tipoff party, pre-game Chalk Talk, a tour of the Pistons locker room or a post-game photo opportunity on the court.

Golden State Warriors
A food and wine extravaganza is given to Warriors season-ticket holders. The Nibbles, Dribbles and Sips event, slated this year for Oct. 4 at Oracle Arena, brings together the season-ticket holders with the finest restaurants and wineries in the Bay Area. Over 40 high-end restaurants and wineries will offer samples of their best food and wine at the event, which is also attended by all the team’s players.

Houston Rockets
The newest perk is the Catered Experiences Program. Season-ticket holders can choose from a Business, Super Fan or Family experience for the upcoming season. Business offers free membership into a year-round schedule of networking events and speaker series during the season on non-event days. Super Fan has access to one post-game autograph session and three opportunities to upgrade their tickets. Family permits a One Kids Experience with the team mascot, Clutch, and four concession discount coupons.

Indiana Pacers
Roy Hibbert, who wears No. 55, has already bought 55 season tickets that he will give away to 55 rabid fans in the Area 55 section of Indiana’s Conseco Fieldhouse. Hibbert wants fans who will be loud and energetic in all the socially-acceptable ways. So, no U.S. Open-like cursing and fighting. Hibbert has already begun auditioning fans, who can find the big man on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.

Los Angeles Clippers
Among the free benefits season-ticket holders receive are tours and an open gym at the Clippers training center; a private movie screening of a summer blockbuster; admission to the official team draft party; and a trip to an MLB game that includes food and drinks.

Los Angeles Lakers
Season-ticket holders receive exclusive gifts as well as discounts on ticket prices. Past exclusive gifts have included championship ring replica paper weights, a 50th anniversary commemorative coffee table book and championship hats and t-shirts.

Memphis Grizzlies
The Griz have three tiers of True Benefits for their tenured season ticket holders:
-Legends (eight-plus seasons) receive the following: NBA League Pass subscription, a spot in the annual team photo, team store discounts, access to the courtside Legends Lounge at FedEx Forum, an invitation to the annual Grizzlies BBQ Fest Tent, FedEx Forum events pre-sale priority, early entrance, MVP express concession lines, guaranteed giveaways and more.
-All-Stars (5-7 sesaons) get the same benefits as Legends except access to the Legends Lounge, inclusion in the team photo and a League Pass subscription.
-Veterans (2-4 seasons) receive all the benefits of All-Stars sans guaranteed giveaways and an invite to the BBQ Fest Tent.

Miami Heat
Season-ticket holders in Miami are offered a dedicated service center and recognition wall for tenured customers called 2MyHEAT House. Located outside Section 115 at AmericanAirlines Arena, the area includes the following: dedication walls recognizing 10-plus and 20-plus year STHs, a business center for assistance with online account management, cherry wood millwork throughout the area, mosaic tile finish, marble baseboards, authentic wood flooring with the same center logo as the game court, prominent light boxes for creative graphics or promotional and advertisement messages, sleek and modern style furniture for consultation and a 42″ flat screen Sony HDTV.

Milwaukee Bucks
Buy one lower level season ticket, get one free. Buying a 21- or 43-game plan brings with it up to $400 in free food and beverage, a Ticket Bank for up to $400 in free additional tickets, an MVP Loyalty Rewards program (Upgrade Vouchers and Arena Store merchandise discounts are included) and interest-free payment plans.

Minnesota Timberwolves
Non-basketball interests of season-ticket holders is where the ‘Wolves are focusing their attention. They hosted a ‘Sex and the City’ launch party for their female season-ticket holders. They also held a family picnic at a local park which included appearances from rookies Wes Johnson and Lazar Hayward.

New Jersey Nets
Become a Nets season-ticket holder and enter the NETS Chamber of Commerce, which is presented by Rymax Marketing Services. It offers STHs and sponsors with extensive networking opportunities to drive their businesses ahead. Members receive access to a protected website which includes contact information to other STHs and corporate partners apart of the Chamber. Additional benefits include monthly networking receptions, which offer prominent speakers from various Nets corporate partners.

New Orleans Hornets
Free beer is floated to all season-ticket holders at Hornets games. Their Season Ticket Holder Beer Garden permits up to two beers as early as an hour and a half before every game at the pre-game Buzzfest outside New Orleans Arena.

New York Knicks
The Knicks have a tiered benefits program according to tenure. Among the highlights are a pre-game photo on the court for Legends (41-plus years) and Hall of Famers (31-40 years), breakfast with head coach Mike D’Antoni for those tiers plus All-Stars (20-30 years) and breakfast with general manager Donnie Walsh for those three tiers plus Veterans (10-plus years)

Oklahoma City Thunder
Love’s Loud City is a $10/game section for season-ticket holders which allows entry into one of the League’s loudest arenas. Thunder PR made a point of e-mailing a quote from Kobe Bryant, who said the Thunder fans are “one of the loudest crowds I have ever played before.” Fans in the section get extra attention from the Thunder Girls and Rumble the Mascot. There’s even a Love’s Loud City Prize wheel where fans can win Thunder merchandise.

Philadelphia 76ers
Benefits from the Sixers season-ticket packages include a dedicated customer service manager, priority to purchase playoff tickets, invitations to special STH events featuring players and coaches and opportunities to buy tickets for other events at Wells Fargo Center.

Phoenix Suns
Early game day entry in allowed. Season-ticket holders get to enter the concourse a half hour before the general public, which includes access to early team warm-ups. A gameday upgrade program gives season ticket holders the capacity to receive upgrade vouchers, based on their tenure, which leads to upgraded seat locations at games.

Sacramento Kings
Kings season-ticket holders get a benefit in the form of a lightened wallet. Ninety-nine percent of the seats in the lower bowl will feature reduced prices, up to $10 per game per seat. First-time season-ticket holders and renewals who signed up by April 23 also got free parking for 20 games. Never underestimate the joy a Californian can feel from free parking.

San Antonio Spurs
A Loyalty Access Program rewards season-ticket holders based on their tenure. Five tiers exist: 6th man (1-4 years), All-Stars (5-9 years), MVP (10-19 years), Hall of Fame (20-29 years) and Legend (30-plus years). Benefits of the program, based on tenure, include up to five exclusive events featuring player and front office staff, fan shop discounts, ticket credit, a season ticket holder pin, recognition on the Spurs’ Walls of Fame and commemorative gifts.

Toronto Raptors
All season-ticket holders are invited to one of two parties, separated between premium and non-premium holders. Live music, entertainment, games and food and beverages are provided at each event. The premium holders will go to the event at Real Sports, the new bar inside Air Canada Centre, and the event will feature red carpet and valet parking.

Utah Jazz
Loyalty rules in Salt Lake City. Season-ticket holders who’ve been with the team for 20-plus years hold their own team photo with the team at center court. All STHs also get upgrade coupons, which depend on tenure, that can be redeemed 30 minutes prior to each game in exchange for the best unsold tickets remaining in EnergySolutions Arena.

Washington Wizards
Capitalizing on the selection of John Wall with the first pick in June’s Draft, the Wizards have unveiled a FANily package worth $399 per seat. Features of the package include an invite to meet this year’s rookies at the Rookie Day Event during training camp, a John Wall autographed basketball and a Rookie Orientation Program. That’s not all. One lucky first-year STH will win a trip for two to the Wizards’ first road game, featuring fellow rookie Mr. Wall, of course.

The per-seat fees (considered donations) are actually $700 and $1025 each depending on where you sit. Between the baselines are mostly $1025 each for all chairbacks. I pay a $1025 donation each for my seats located 19 rows up at the free throw line and another $700 each for my seats 10 rows up in the corner.

Thanks for the update. When the per-seat fees were first initiated (1993?), I recall that the fees were $250 and $500 - it was foolish of me to assume that our athletic department would keep the fee at the same price after all those years. I don't believe there's any comparable fan-unfriendly fee structure in the Big Ten (at least for that relatively large number of seats).

Top Bottom