Craig Bohl

go4fan

Reaction score
If the gophers do not go for or get one of the few great options (Al Golden for example) I think Bohl would be a great hire. He has strong recruiting ties to the area and from what I've heard, the MN HS coaches love him. He was a very well run program in Fargo and I think he could do the same here. He would not be the big splash that we are going for but I think if we do not intend to make a splash, this is our next target.

Fail....

Bohl would be good here for about 3 years, but once he had to do his own recruiting he would suck. Look at what happened at NDSU....he had Babich's recruits, won 10 games a few times, neglected to recruit a QB after Walker, now they are an average 1AA team at BEST.

Why would we hire a guy who is going to start feeling the heat at NDSU of all places?

His teams have been lacking some major discipline problems. They have had some DUI arrests and NDSU also had a huge theft ring from a Fargo area Best Buy that involved some former players that Bohl brought in.

He has had some success at NDSU, but I think I could have walked into the Fargo Dome and coached some of those teams he was given to wins. They had unreal talent for 1aa in the mid 2000s.

If the gophers do not go for or get one of the few great options (Al Golden for example) I think Bohl would be a great hire. He has strong recruiting ties to the area and from what I've heard, the MN HS coaches love him. He was a very well run program in Fargo and I think he could do the same here. He would not be the big splash that we are going for but I think if we do not intend to make a splash, this is our next target.

Nice try Mr. Bohl! You are a loser. Go back to partying with obese farm girl NDSU co-eds!!

His teams have been lacking some major discipline problems. They have had some DUI arrests and NDSU also had a huge theft ring from a Fargo area Best Buy that involved some former players that Bohl brought in.

He has had some success at NDSU, but I think I could have walked into the Fargo Dome and coached some of those teams he was given to wins. They had unreal talent for 1aa in the mid 2000s.

Gus Bradley, D-Cord at Seattle, played a huge role in building those teams. He might be a guy the Gophers should look at strongly.

As for Bohl, he had an amazing first recruiting class at NDSU(the class had like four or five NFL players). Since he has had about four mediocre to horrible classes but recently he has had two very strong classes. That said I think he would need a strong season(at least take NDSU to the FCS playoffs) before any Big 10 level schools should give him a look.

FargoBison is on the money. Gus Bradley would be a solid candidate for the position. Negatives: Lack of HC experience, no DI coaching/recruiting experience. This guy knows defense…..coached for Bob Babich, Monte Kiffen, Jon Gruden, Jim Mora, and Pete Carroll. He might be able to finally build a Big 10 defense for the first time since the glory days. Unfortunately, I don’t know if either side would be interested. MN probably won’t go to the NFL again and Bradley believes that he could be an NFL HC after a couple of years under Carroll.

Bohl – He would need a serious attitude adjustment to get any DI job. Bohl does the minimum and nothing more to promote the program.

Let's stop this Bohl talk

MN doesn't need a 1-AA without a national recruiting track record, whose record of late is mediocre. We can only hire a proven 1-A Winner. Period, end of sentence.

Discipline issues have been pretty much par for the course at NDSU for many years.

Gus Bradley, D-Cord at Seattle, played a huge role in building those teams. He might be a guy the Gophers should look at strongly.

As for Bohl, he had an amazing first recruiting class at NDSU(the class had like four or five NFL players). Since he has had about four mediocre to horrible classes but recently he has had two very strong classes. That said I think he would need a strong season(at least take NDSU to the FCS playoffs) before any Big 10 level schools should give him a look.

That would be an interesting candidate. He is a native of Zumbrota, Minnesota, correct?

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

I have said it a dozen times on these boards. Craig Bohl is not the answer.

That would be an interesting candidate. He is a native of Zumbrota, Minnesota, correct?

Yep. I do know that he likes Seattle a lot but I think he is ready to be a head coach after being an assistant at the pro and college level since 1990.

Yes :clap:

I'm from Zumbrota and yes Gus is the complete package! Superb coach, awesome recruiter, and winning personality.

I think his skillset and personality would translate perfectly to our upcoming coaching vacancy.

I'll see if my Dad can get the scoop on his interest in the NFL vs. college but I would think he'd jump at the opportunity.

He does have more wins against 1-AA teams than Brew but nope.

NDSU won on last second dramatic 45 YR TD pass vs Youngstown St yesterday.

NDSU & Bohl has beaten Kansas, Minnesota, Ball St, Central Michigan in last 4 years.

Lost to Wyoming and Minnesota by 1, and Iowa State by 14 last year.

NDSU/BOHL routinely get excellent Minnesota/Metro talent that brewster wont offer.(NFL'ers Craig Dahl, Ramon Humber, Nick Schommer, Kole Heckendorf & Joe mays)

NDSU already has signed 2 Metro guys and 2 2-star kids from Arizona.:

Adam Brandt, 6-4, 225, Stevens Point WI, DE 9/23/2010 Bison Media Blog
Joe Horvath, 6-3, 245, Stevens Point, WI, DL, 9/22/2010 Bison Media Blog
Matt Jones, 5-10, 198, Scottsdale (Horizon), AZ, RB 9/30/2010 Bison Media
Alex Meier, 6-2, 200, Anoka, MN, S 7/14/2010 Bison Media Blog
Joey Sonnenfeld, 6-4, 200, Osseo, MN, ATH Bison Media Blog
Ryan Stanford, 6-2, 180, Scottsdale (Horizon), AZ, QB 9/30/2010 Bison Media

Bohl would be a helluva lot better than brewster, but I would be 50-50 on him coaching my #2 team, the gophers.

This is exactly they type of guy Joel Maturi would hire after Brewster

After a big swing and a miss, Bohl is exactly the type of coach that Joel Maturi would turn to and hire if the decision were left to him. Just say no to letting Maturi make the next coaching hire and just say no to Bohl. We do not need the NDSU coach, we need our own guy that is going to win here. Bohl would be a repeat of the Mason years, occasionally beat some good teams but mostly 3-5 conference records.

NDSU & Bohl has beaten Kansas, Minnesota, Ball St, Central Michigan in last 4 years.

NDSU/BOHL routinely get excellent Minnesota/Metro talent that brewster wont offer.(NFL'ers Craig Dahl, Ramon Humber, Nick Schommer, Kole Heckendorf & Joe mays)

Bohl would be a helluva lot better than brewster, but I would be 50-50 on him coaching my #2 team, the gophers.

I wasn't really into the Craig Bohl idea, but now that I heard he was able to lock down a couple players from Arizona....I still don't like the idea.

1.) NDSU won on last second dramatic 45 YR TD pass vs Youngstown St yesterday.

2.) NDSU & Bohl has beaten Kansas, Minnesota, Ball St, Central Michigan in last 4 years.

3.)Lost to Wyoming and Minnesota by 1, and Iowa State by 14 last year.

1.) Watched the game against Youngstown up in Fargo and the Bison looked pretty good. Sloppy ending makes for an exciting finish.
2.) All but the Kansas victory came with Bob Babich recruits
3.) Wyoming, Minnesota, and Iowa State are the whipping boys of their respected conferences. In other words, dozens of D1-AA schools would compete with them.
4.) Heckendorf a stud, but not signed in the NFL at the moment.
5.) You didn't mention it, but they have had dozen's of off the field issues with players.

Let Bohl stay in Fargo and win a national championship in D1-AA before we consider him a candidate for the Gopher job.

Yes :clap:

I'm from Zumbrota and yes Gus is the complete package! Superb coach, awesome recruiter, and winning personality.

I think his skillset and personality would translate perfectly to our upcoming coaching vacancy.

I'll see if my Dad can get the scoop on his interest in the NFL vs. college but I would think he'd jump at the opportunity.

If he were interested, I would hope that he could bring in Ken Norton Jr. with him as a d-coordinator/assistant head coach. He is a very well respected recruiter and has coached some very good LB's in the last 6 years. Look at all of the USC linebackers (Matthews, Cushing, Rivers, Maualuga, and Tatupu) that were high draft choices.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Why are you so wishy-washy?:D

I would take a chance on Bradley before Bohl. I would also take Bob Neilson from UMD before Bohl.

Bohl kind of reminds me of a slightly anorexic version of the principal from Back to the Future.

every ndsu fan i know which is like 10, all want bohl fired! the guy has yet to do anything in the fcs. they dont win in the mvc and from what i understand he cant recruit real well. the years ndsu lost and beat us bohl used the previous coach's recruits. i do not want bohl he would be a terrible hire

joe mays is from chicago, heckendorf is from wisconsin!

why didnt these guys go to iowa, wisky, or illinois? hell why didnt any of them go to the mac? you are not bright if you think brewster was the only guy that missed on these guys. there is a reason they went to ndsu and they developed well. if you are going to rip brew for not recruiting these guys then you better rip the rest of the big ten! lakesbison, i hope you enjoy the next home bizon event...oops, i forgot you had gotten your 19 year old gf so drunk she they called an ambulance and then you had to be an ass and cock off and now you are not welcome on your own turf(no pun intended) hahahaha get a life

MN doesn't need a 1-AA without a national recruiting track record, whose record of late is mediocre. We can only hire a proven 1-A Winner. Period, end of sentence.

That seems like a really limited pool, but maybe I'm wrong. Please list all the proven, 1-A winners who will consider coaching at Minnesota.

Guess I am surprised by the negativity towards Bohl. As a follower of the NDSU football program I have to point out a few "myths" that I see on this thread.

myth #1 - NDSU has problems with players for years. This maybe is true for the last two to three years but I don't recall a lot of problems from 2000 to 2007. I blame this on bringing in a few kids that were good talent but maybe had a few character issues that were hard to spot. He or his assistants may not have had time to do a good background check as most of the signees were in the late spring/early summer from JUCO programs and he and his staff were reacting quickly to "emergencies".

A coach can not be responsible for his players 100% of the time as it is not logistically possible. You have to trust the guys a bit. To me the Gophers had the same kind of trouble with three players in 2006 & 2007 with a rape case. This is a bit worse (IMO) then the Best Buy ring theft that involved two NDSU players.

Bohl and Gene Taylor (AD) have instituted a "zero tolerance policy" that he has lost solid players over. It appears that he is back on track and has a better program and players for it.

Myth #2 Bohl is a poor recruiter. At the end of the 2008 season, Bohl was interviewed by Steve Hallstrom of WDAY and admitted that he made mistakes in recruiting and has changed his philosphies. (They were presented on a website per WDAY, not sure if they are around anymore). The 2009 and 2010 classes have been highly touted and are starting to show positive results on the field. Give him two more years of good classes and he could have a top 5 program again.

Myth#3 He hasn't performed well in the conference, this is partly true however in my mind there is some major items with this. When NDSU switched from the Great West to the Missouri Valley Conference in 2008 NDSU needed a completely different style of team. He had built and recruited for the Great West and now needed to switch the style of player for the MVFC. Couple this with the recruiting down turns in 2006-2008 and it lead to two bad years in the MVFC.
This year we are starting to see those recruits make some noise. You might ask the difference, Great West needed speed, MVFC needs both speed and size. Our LB's are bit small right now but they were recruited for the Great West not MVFC...

SIDE NOTE - Bohl spent a number of years coaching under Tom Osborne with Nebraska and has a lot of friends in the D-I A ranks. In his first few years with NDSU, he brought in a lot of his buddies that are now coaching in D-IA programs (some are even in the NFL). I have heard him make references to speaking with Jim Tressel about coaching strategies before. He was run out of Nebraska by Frank Solich however he has spoken about that and admits that he didn't even know some of his own players names as he was wrapped up in the "planning" portion of the position. I personally believe that he has changed his approach but have not facts to prove it.

I do think that Bohl could be a serious candidate for the Gophers. Why?

-He has proven he can win with reasonable talent
-He has been a HC for 7 years and has experienced up and downs and how to react/rebuild/improve upon when things aren't going his way...
-With his D-1 contacts he could possibly bring in some talented coaches that understand "big time" programs. Heck even some of these guys played in the Big Ten.

I do think there are some good coaches in the MVFC that could make a case for the job. Mark Farley (UNI) and Dale Lennon (SIU) both have had strong solid programs in their respective positions and show they can consistently recruit top players and produce winning season after winnign season...

Top Bottom