The Storied Rivalry

Ho-hum. Unless you're a Cardinal padre, I don't think you can wear that red collar with the Becky logo. You better repent!

It's true that if we had held on to win that game and all the games of the rest of the college football season had played out in the same way that they did, yes, we would have been Rose Bowl bound. There would have been a four way tie for the conference title at 6-2 and we would have won the "last team to go to the Rose Bowl" tiebreaker. This is also true of the 2003 Michigan game.

Oh, the agony! That was my senior year at the U; We biffed a 4th quarter field goal against bucky that could have made OT much less likely, if memory serves. That was a special year for a lot of reasons. It was our first bowl year in 13-14 years, I believe? As a trombone in the marching band during that time, it was almost unthinkable how close we were to Pasadena! When that God-forsaken ball left the badger kicker's foot in overtime, sailed through the uprights and hit the net directly in front of us, there aren't words to describe that feeling. El Paso was great, but to bring this post full circle, oh the agony of that defeat!

I'm still working through my Badger-loathing issues. Still pretty deep-seated however.

Go Gophers! Redemption Time!

Bump.

No reason to write the entire thing out again.

So, last year's victory made it 9 in a row by Wisconsin -- that means 5 or 6 senior classes for Minnesota have never touched the Axe -- and 16 of the last 18 for the Badgers. But it shows you how lopsided the series had been for Minnesota that even with this incredible string for the Badgers, the overall series still stands at 58-56-8 for the Gophers.

I'm glad to see Coach Kill is starting to right the ship. I hope his health issues don't interfere with that progress. He's doing it the right way, with a plan, and recruiting, and good assistants, not with some hot chili.

I still see a Badger win this weekend; I think the UW defense has become a beast in the second half of the season. It will be a good game, but I suspect the wise guys in Vegas have it pretty close to right.

I always enjoy my trip up to your fair cities for my favorite sports rivalry. See you Saturday, Gophers, and,

On, Wisconsin!

Monsignor,

Do you know whatever happened to the Slab of Bacon?

St. Peter will not make a fuss if you tell all.

Bump.

No reason to write the entire thing out again.

So, last year's victory made it 9 in a row by Wisconsin -- that means 5 or 6 senior classes for Minnesota have never touched the Axe -- and 16 of the last 18 for the Badgers. But it shows you how lopsided the series had been for Minnesota that even with this incredible string for the Badgers, the overall series still stands at 58-56-8 for the Gophers.

I'm glad to see Coach Kill is starting to right the ship. I hope his health issues don't interfere with that progress. He's doing it the right way, with a plan, and recruiting, and good assistants, not with some hot chili.

I still see a Badger win this weekend; I think the UW defense has become a beast in the second half of the season. It will be a good game, but I suspect the wise guys in Vegas have it pretty close to right.

I always enjoy my trip up to your fair cities for my favorite sports rivalry. See you Saturday, Gophers, and,

On, Wisconsin!

Good post. I expect the same. I wouldn't be shocked if we won, but I'm not sure how likely it is. I think we can stay close, especially considering with the scheduled weather and potential conditions of the field.

He's a wolf in sheep's clothing check out Buckyville and you can see what a jag- off he is. You guys are being hood winked. When I was on the site two years ago he was as big a perpetrator as the rest of them.

Good to hear from you again, Monsignor!

Welcome and hello again. Great rivalry. Great history.

I can't believe you let this clown pull the "rope a dope " on you. He's the historical version of "Bob Ford"

Always enjoy these posts during Badger week. Just hope the game lives up to most of the matchups we've had recently (specifically in Minneapolis, the ones in Madison haven't been so great for the most part lol)

Agreed. Posts like these from good-natured and well-mannered Badger fans are excellent. I enjoy the annual highlighting of this great rivalry. Too many Badger fans (usually the younger ones) seem to think that our Gopher have no history or pride in football tradition. Good to see that we have Badger fans like The Monsignor who appreciates the true nature of this rivalry. It is so much more than what has happened the last 20 years.

All I can ask for is a great, entertaining game that isn't decided by poor officiating. Let the chips fall where they may.

I can't believe you let this clown pull the "rope a dope " on you. He's the historical version of "Bob Ford"

Why do you put Bob Ford in quotes? And wouldn't Bob Ford be the historical version of Bob Ford?

He seems like a nice enough guy and I've now read several of past years' posts that I find informative and good natured. I've no problem with him coming around and posting.

Top Bottom