I am back - sans stein. That means NO GOPHER VICTORY THIS WEEKEND!

Reaction score
Yes, it is I, Detlef Erlichmann, proprietor of the Essen Haus in Madison and staunch supporter of Badger football with my annual placitum for the return of the precious 5 Liter stein that was pilfered from my establishment on the evening of November 5, 2004 by a Gopher football fan. Why should you care as a Gopher fan? Well, you shouldn't if you are satisfied with the current state of your sorry program. But if you ever want to see the sun reflect off the San Gabriel Mountains through your maroon-and-gold colored sunglasses in early January ever again you will heed my demands. You may be wondering "Who the hell is this guy?" Well here is an intro:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=8852

http://thehole84398.yuku.com/topic/8423/t/I-am-back-to-bode-doom-and-gloom-to-all-Gopher-fans.html

For 5 years I have sought out the return of our family's heirloom and nary a note nor picture of said stein has found its way back to me. For those of you wondering I'll cut to the chase. Yes, my grandmother, an annointed witch, is still alive and filled with as much piss and vinegar as a nonagenarian can delve out. The spell that she put forth upon your football program is still in effect and as your record shows is working quite well. I have gone to extreme measures in an attempt to regain our antique stein recently. An attempt was made by my staff to contact officials within the University of Minnesota football program. We got as far as Coach Brewster's secretary who seemed very interested in ameliorating our plight. I recorded my conversation with her and was privvy to her brief conversation inside of Coach Brewster's office:

Coach Brewster: "Tremendous. Now you're trying to tell me that some old bitty over in Germany cast a spell over our football program while I was in Denver for something that smug-ass Glen Mason did."

Secretary: "No coach. Glen Mason didn't steal this stein. Some Gopher fan walked out of this bar and it made the owner mad and then the owner's grandmother doomed Gopher football for all of eternity. Or at least that is the jist of it."

Coach Brewster: "Jesus H. I got enough problems. I got John Clay about to run over us like Ron fricken' Dayne. My wife is on line 2 and she tells me the realtor says we should lower our house another $150,000 because it ain't selling. I'm supposed to do an interview with that 4-eyed dweeb from ESPN.com in 10 minutes. Dammit, I should just take a toke like half my players to lighten up. Can you just get me another coffee?"

Secretary: "Sorry to have bothered you Coach. I'll just let the gentlemen know you can't help him right now. "

Coach Brewster: "Listen. Trust me. If this stein thing is what we need to beat Wisconsin I'd use all my frequent flyer miles right now and fly off to Germany and seranade this grandma but I don't have time. On second thought I want to save those miles. I might need a long vacation come December."

This recent attempt at recovery has left me no other measures but to retaliate. I hate to do this to a fellow barkeep but I felt I had no other option. Last week I convened with some of my most trusted staff here at the Essen Haus. We devised a sinister plan to abscond from a famous Minneapolis landmark with their most valuable asset. This operation required cunning, as opposed to the cowardly Gopher fan who removed our stein by tucking it into a sweatshirt leaving through the back door.

Very few individuals outside the hospitality and brewery business know this but within the City of Minneapolis lies a most treasured artifact. An item of such humble origins yet capable of reviving the dead, or almost dead. One sip of the nectar-of-the-Gods from this amber hued chalice can restore the soul and bring the dead back to life. Simple to look at, this jug, a growler in today's parlance, bestows upon those that drink from it a life-changing transformation for the good.

This item has been kept in a storage room at the Town Hall Brewery of the Seven Corners area of Minneapolis since October 1997. Legend has it that this jug bottled the first batch of moonshined "whiskey" in the State of Minnesota the day the Volstead Act (aka National Prohibition Act) passed Congress in 1919. The aforementioned whiskey, not yet illegal as Prohibition did not officially start until January 1920, was being manufactured for speakeasys in now what is the Seven Corners area. A freak late fall thunderstorm ripped through Minneapolis the day the whiskey batch arrived. Apparently a thunderbolt out of the sky unleashed its electric maelstorm and blew apart the whole batch of whiskey save for this lone jug which lay unharmed amidst the ruins. It is said that this very act coined the phrase "lightning in a bottle."

Long story short, we escaped the clandestine operation unharmed and in possession of our goal which now resides in an undisclosed location near the Essen Haus. I am loathe to harbor the jug in my facility given the onslaught of Gopher fans about to descend upon Madison this upcoming weekend. We have attached a picture as a file to authenticate our loot.

Again, my sincere apologies to the good people that run the Town Hall Brewery for stealing the infamous Holy Growler. We had to resort to such measures since our family's precious 5 Liter stein has yet to be returned to the Essen Haus and the Erlichmann family after 5 plus years of unresponded requests. If it ever became public record that such a relic was residing near the University of Minnesota campus I fear that those that run the football program would be tempted sell their souls to the devil to drink from the magical Growler in an attempt to resurrect their pathetic football team. I could not let this happen as it may reverse my grandmother's curse.

All I am asking for on behalf of the Erlichmann clan is a return of the 5 Liter stein that was stolen by a Gopher football fan in November, 2004. Then and only then will the curse be reversed and the Gopher football program return to near mediocrity rather than where it now languishes.

P.S. It may be in the best interest of Gopher football if someone were to e-mail this storyline to your next coach.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 148

Give it back. Don't mess with Witches.

The story is so good but the stupid picture of a growler that anyone can buy, disappoints me greatly.

Anti-Quinsies

I now remove the "Becky" curse by using the old "Anti-Quinsies" line from Dumb and Dumber
All facets of the curse have been reversed and will now be turned on the Wisconsin Badgers and their horrific fans. Minnesota Football will prosper for the next 100 years. By the way, you can take your Stein and shove it up your ass you loser!!! I would love to meet the fan that took your mug and buy him a beer. GO GOPHERS!

Lloyd: You're it.
Harry: You're it.
Lloyd: You're it, quitsies!
Harry: Anti-quitsies, you're it, quitsies, no anti-quitsies, no startsies!
Lloyd: You can't do that!
Harry: Can too!
Lloyd: Cannot, stamp it!
Harry: Can too, double stamp it, no erasies!
Lloyd: Cannot, triple stamp, no erasies, Touch blue make it true.
Harry: No, you can't do that... you can't triple stamp a double stamp, you can't triple stamp a double stamp! Lloyd!
Lloyd: [hands over ears] LA LA LA LA LA LA!

Just give it back, the Gophers have had nothing but bad luck since this farce began.

Are we going to see the picute of the learned Gopher fan with male cameltoe posing with the stein again?

The story is so good but the stupid picture of a growler that anyone can buy, disappoints me greatly.

The author did write, "Simple to look at, this jug...."

2009-07_grail-hero.jpg

No Deal, Gophers are cannon fodder this week anyways

I say to all Self Respecting Gopher fans that are going to Madison this weekend.
Drink there beer, mooch as much as possible, screw the witch or as many wenches in Madison as possible, and show coach Bielema your a$$. Full moons are warranted while singing the Rouser.
If were going to be peasants paraded around for there amusment, we minus well pillage and eat drink and be merry and annoy as much as possible. Heck I'm going to stand in front of a frat and chant a$$hole at them and break out the cheeks. We will only trade back the stein if you will pay the buyout for one Tim "Doofamus maximus" Brewster and banish him to eternal TE coaching duties in the NFL.

Yeah that Jug looks like it came from the 1920's. Sure. Town Hall since 1920.

You wouldn't be so dissapointed if you had seen his 'family heirloom' flea market stein. All in all, great stuff.

I still maintain that we hold onto the Stein until the Slab of Bacon goes back into play.

NateDawg said it best

Bring back the stinking slab of bacon and we will consider your proposition.

The liberation of the Essenhaus Stein reminds us all of nobler times, when heroic Gophers could crusade to the unholy land and return with relics. Steins, Weapons of long-dead giants, the skeletal legs of Elroy Hirsch.

In this era of decline, I'm afraid our armies more resemble the children's crusade of 1212.

Take heart, Wisconsonite. Legends suggest that a halftime ceremony in which the regents of the University of Wisconsin relinquish the Slab of Bacon to Minnesota along with a very humble apology for their years of deceit would result in the return of the Essenhaus Stein. But it's only a legend... or is it?

I still maintain that we hold onto the Stein until the Slab of Bacon goes back into play.

Forget that noise, we stole it, fair and square. From the STrib, 10/3/2009:

The schools played for a trophy called the Slab of Bacon from 1930 through 1943. It was a piece of black walnut wood that had a football carved into it. The football was topped by a W or M, depending on which way you held it. Scores of the game were printed on the back. After the Gophers won in 1943 an exchange was supposed to take place on the field, but it never happened. Wisconsin sent the trophy to the Gophers locker room, but George Hauser, the Gophers coach, wouldn't accept it, saying he thought there shouldn't be trophies exchanged during wartime.

The trophy disappeared and was replaced by the Axe in 1948. But the Slab of Bacon reappeared in 1994, when it was found in a storage room at the Wisconsin athletic department during a renovation of Camp Randall Stadium. Though lost, it had been updated with scores through 1970. It currently resides at the Badgers football office.

"We took home the bacon," then-Badgers coach Barry Alvarez said then, "and kept it."

I like the touch about game updates being recorded on it through 1970. I wonder which low-level Athletic Department employee retired after the 1970 season?

Who cares about this stupid thing? Isn't it a bit?

Only the feeble minded would believe in witches & curses (i.e. becky fans); Be gone, ye of the blithering idiocy!!

Maybe get back to us when you win a national championship, or in other words, NEVER!!!!

well, we dont need a missing stein to tell us we are going to lose this weekend.

maybe we'll bring it out to gloat some year when we have a chance

Boring. Move along Detlef, you'll get no sympathy here.

If it it was such a valuable family heirloom, then why have it out for drunks to walk off with? And I use 'was' because its undoubtably smashed beyond recognition now, or on the bottom of Lake Mendota.

You should have put it away or keep it in your home where you can cherish it without boorish fans (Gophers or otherwise) messing with your stuff.

Somebody called?

Stein3.jpg

Dear Detlef,

The things I do with your kidnapped stein cannot be described on this family friendly website. Have you seen the basement scene in Silence of the Lambs? It is like that, only less pleasant. Why would I lie and tell you that I have given the stein a better life? I have done no such thing. Each day is worse than the next. Weep for your stein. Its despair is inconsolable, and yours should be too.

Great story. I agree with others, the Slab of Bacon needs to come home.. Now.

Also, I found a little 'chink' in Detlef's story. See, in this thread, he said the stein was taken in November, 2004. Now, a handful of years ago he said the following
The Friday night before the Badgers slaughtered (once again) the lowly Gophers in Madison in 2006 some unwitting Gopher fan stole one of my family's heirlooms from the Essen Haus

Hmmm.. Contradicting stories lead me to believe this Becky fan is a liar. You're stein and your grandmother can both perish, I don't care.

Isn't there some dead deer you need to copulate with?

Stein for a Growler, doesn't sound very convincing

Studwell are you the mysterious Gutter Helmet? Or do you just know him? Either way Studwell should pillage in Madison this weekend. Drink all of there beer, eat all of the cheese and sausage, befriend many lasses, wenches and even granny the witch alike for they will be besmitten with his Gopher good looks and amazing accent. In other words Detlaf, Studwell said Gutter helment say's, the bacon is back up for grabs or NO DEAL.

I hate the Badgers....I hate them so much I didnt even read the whole story in the first place. Lost me at...well...the first word really.

Yes, it is I, Detlef Erlichmann, proprietor of the Essen Haus in Madison and staunch supporter of Badger football with my annual placitum for the return of the precious 5 Liter stein that was pilfered from my establishment on the evening of November 5, 2004 by a Gopher football fan. Why should you care as a Gopher fan? Well, you shouldn't if you are satisfied with the current state of your sorry program. But if you ever want to see the sun reflect off the San Gabriel Mountains through your maroon-and-gold colored sunglasses in early January ever again you will heed my demands. You may be wondering "Who the hell is this guy?" Well here is an intro:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=8852

http://thehole84398.yuku.com/topic/8423/t/I-am-back-to-bode-doom-and-gloom-to-all-Gopher-fans.html

For 5 years I have sought out the return of our family's heirloom and nary a note nor picture of said stein has found its way back to me. For those of you wondering I'll cut to the chase. Yes, my grandmother, an annointed witch, is still alive and filled with as much piss and vinegar as a nonagenarian can delve out. The spell that she put forth upon your football program is still in effect and as your record shows is working quite well. I have gone to extreme measures in an attempt to regain our antique stein recently. An attempt was made by my staff to contact officials within the University of Minnesota football program. We got as far as Coach Brewster's secretary who seemed very interested in ameliorating our plight. I recorded my conversation with her and was privvy to her brief conversation inside of Coach Brewster's office:

Coach Brewster: "Tremendous. Now you're trying to tell me that some old bitty over in Germany cast a spell over our football program while I was in Denver for something that smug-ass Glen Mason did."

Secretary: "No coach. Glen Mason didn't steal this stein. Some Gopher fan walked out of this bar and it made the owner mad and then the owner's grandmother doomed Gopher football for all of eternity. Or at least that is the jist of it."

Coach Brewster: "Jesus H. I got enough problems. I got John Clay about to run over us like Ron fricken' Dayne. My wife is on line 2 and she tells me the realtor says we should lower our house another $150,000 because it ain't selling. I'm supposed to do an interview with that 4-eyed dweeb from ESPN.com in 10 minutes. Dammit, I should just take a toke like half my players to lighten up. Can you just get me another coffee?"

Secretary: "Sorry to have bothered you Coach. I'll just let the gentlemen know you can't help him right now. "

Coach Brewster: "Listen. Trust me. If this stein thing is what we need to beat Wisconsin I'd use all my frequent flyer miles right now and fly off to Germany and seranade this grandma but I don't have time. On second thought I want to save those miles. I might need a long vacation come December."

This recent attempt at recovery has left me no other measures but to retaliate. I hate to do this to a fellow barkeep but I felt I had no other option. Last week I convened with some of my most trusted staff here at the Essen Haus. We devised a sinister plan to abscond from a famous Minneapolis landmark with their most valuable asset. This operation required cunning, as opposed to the cowardly Gopher fan who removed our stein by tucking it into a sweatshirt leaving through the back door.

Very few individuals outside the hospitality and brewery business know this but within the City of Minneapolis lies a most treasured artifact. An item of such humble origins yet capable of reviving the dead, or almost dead. One sip of the nectar-of-the-Gods from this amber hued chalice can restore the soul and bring the dead back to life. Simple to look at, this jug, a growler in today's parlance, bestows upon those that drink from it a life-changing transformation for the good.

This item has been kept in a storage room at the Town Hall Brewery of the Seven Corners area of Minneapolis since October 1997. Legend has it that this jug bottled the first batch of moonshined "whiskey" in the State of Minnesota the day the Volstead Act (aka National Prohibition Act) passed Congress in 1919. The aforementioned whiskey, not yet illegal as Prohibition did not officially start until January 1920, was being manufactured for speakeasys in now what is the Seven Corners area. A freak late fall thunderstorm ripped through Minneapolis the day the whiskey batch arrived. Apparently a thunderbolt out of the sky unleashed its electric maelstorm and blew apart the whole batch of whiskey save for this lone jug which lay unharmed amidst the ruins. It is said that this very act coined the phrase "lightning in a bottle."

Long story short, we escaped the clandestine operation unharmed and in possession of our goal which now resides in an undisclosed location near the Essen Haus. I am loathe to harbor the jug in my facility given the onslaught of Gopher fans about to descend upon Madison this upcoming weekend. We have attached a picture as a file to authenticate our loot.

Again, my sincere apologies to the good people that run the Town Hall Brewery for stealing the infamous Holy Growler. We had to resort to such measures since our family's precious 5 Liter stein has yet to be returned to the Essen Haus and the Erlichmann family after 5 plus years of unresponded requests. If it ever became public record that such a relic was residing near the University of Minnesota campus I fear that those that run the football program would be tempted sell their souls to the devil to drink from the magical Growler in an attempt to resurrect their pathetic football team. I could not let this happen as it may reverse my grandmother's curse.

All I am asking for on behalf of the Erlichmann clan is a return of the 5 Liter stein that was stolen by a Gopher football fan in November, 2004. Then and only then will the curse be reversed and the Gopher football program return to near mediocrity rather than where it now languishes.

P.S. It may be in the best interest of Gopher football if someone were to e-mail this storyline to your next coach.

Never happened.:rolleyes:

I once threw up all over the Essenhaus men's bathroom after drinking too much beer from a stein beer drinking race.

Thankfully

the Twins will be getting my attention this weekend. Unless another Wisconsin serial killer strikes and the whole badger team is turned into a red dining room set the Gophers don't have a chance. Then again, maybe they do. I have learned to expect the unexpected.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom