Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1

    Default WOW! Cal-Berkeley drops baseball, other sports

    Berkeley drops baseball, men's and women's gymnastics, women's lacrosse, and reduces their championship rugby team to a "varsity sport" without school financial support.

    Link

    Baseball alumns react
    I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch.

    Gilda Radner


  2. #2

    Default

    I think we are going to see a lot more of this at a lot of places with top-drawer traditions.

  3. #3

    Default Sometimes it's "penny wis and pound foolish..."

    to hold telethons to raise money to keep non-revenue sports funded for a few more years when you already have more non-revenue sports than you know what to do with. wisky dropped baseball and improved their football program and basketball program. Non-revenue sacrifice for the good of revenue producing sports for the good of the rest of the non-revenue and Title IX sports, I guess...funny how that worked out. The College Baseball World Series isn't very nice to the Big Ten is it? It's hard to compete with the warm-weather places. So, we "pretend..."

  4. #4

    Default

    Got to love the sound of grinding axes.

    The state of California does have some extremely severe budget problems...

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imthewalrus View Post
    to hold telethons to raise money to keep non-revenue sports funded for a few more years when you already have more non-revenue sports than you know what to do with. wisky dropped baseball and improved their football program and basketball program. Non-revenue sacrifice for the good of revenue producing sports for the good of the rest of the non-revenue and Title IX sports, I guess...funny how that worked out. The College Baseball World Series isn't very nice to the Big Ten is it? It's hard to compete with the warm-weather places. So, we "pretend..."
    Become a Badger fan. Problem solved.

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imthewalrus View Post
    The Gopher Athletic Department isn't very nice to the Revenue Sports is it? It's hard to compete with the women's underwater basketweaving team. So, we "pretend..."

    fixed that for you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,772

    Default

    Studwell: Just eliminate all athletic scholarships.

    Chorus: !@)#*@#*@#)(*#@$

    Studwell: 70k people will still show up to see students from Iowa play students from Wisconsin.

    Chorus: @(*@#*@#(&@#(&@#(&$

    Studwell: It would still be fun, and the game would be played at the 1-AA level, with genuine student-athletes. There would be a talent drop off, but not catastrophically.

    Chorus: @#(*&#@($*@#(&@#(&$@#

    Studwell: But it would mean that Iowa and Wisconsin and Nebraska and Minnesota would actually be playing each other.

    Chorus: &*@#$(&*@#(&@#$

    Studwell: It would also help restore genuine credibility to higher education, which has been corrupted by athletics.

    Chorus: @#&@#&$(@#&

    Studwell: Whatever.
    Last edited by Studwell55; 09-29-2010 at 12:00 PM.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Studwell55 View Post
    Whatever.
    ¨¨¨¨¨

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Studwell55 View Post
    Studwell: Just eliminate all athletic scholarships.

    Chorus: !@)#*@#*@#)(*#@$

    Studwell: 70k people will still show up to see students from Iowa play students from Wisconsin.

    Chorus: @(*@#*@#(&@#(&@#(&$

    Studwell: It would still be fun, and the game would be played at the 1-AA level, with genuine student-athletes. There would be a talent drop off, but not catastrophically.

    Chorus: @#(*&#@($*@#(&@#(&$@#

    Studwell: But it would mean that Iowa and Wisconsin and Nebraska and Minnesota would actually be playing each other.

    Chorus: &*@#$(&*@#(&@#$

    Studwell: It would also help restore genuine credibility to higher education, which has been corrupted by athletics.

    Chorus: @#&@#&$(@#&

    Studwell: Whatever.
    I could get behind this. Emphasis on the student-athlete, rather than quasi-pro institutions.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swede View Post
    I could get behind this. Emphasis on the student-athlete, rather than quasi-pro institutions.
    Then go watch MIAC sports.

  11. Default

    if i wanted student athletes playing id go out and play a game myself with my friends. theres a reason the sports exist. we dont want to watch you lugging a ball up and down the field on TV. we want to watch people with actual athletic ability. anyone who harps on the "student"athlete is either daft or part of the gophers fan relations. daft for thinking student actually matters, or should matter, and part of the gopher fan relations because thats all most of our football team has.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopherphan View Post
    if i wanted student athletes playing id go out and play a game myself with my friends. theres a reason the sports exist. we dont want to watch you lugging a ball up and down the field on TV. we want to watch people with actual athletic ability. anyone who harps on the "student"athlete is either daft or part of the gophers fan relations. daft for thinking student actually matters, or should matter, and part of the gopher fan relations because thats all most of our football team has.
    Go watch the NFL, then you can avoid all this crazy business of a sport being an extracurricular activity.

  13. #13

    Default

    The talent level would in fact plummet. Without scholarships, D-I schools would be at no advantage over the D-III schools. You say that talent level would drop to the I-AA level, but I-AA has 63 scholarships. There is non-scholarship I-AA, but it is an extremely low level of play. With no advantage over the other schools, 70,000 people would not show up. Iowa football would become the equal of Upper Iowa.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopherphan View Post
    Studwell, we dont want to watch you lugging a ball up and down the field on TV.
    Actually, there's a chance you already have.

    Nice try though.


  15. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swede View Post
    I could get behind this. Emphasis on the student-athlete, rather than quasi-pro institutions.
    Way too much money involved now for that to happen.

    I'm actually a bit surprised that some of the really big time football schools haven't banded together and told the NCAA and their rules to stick it. They'd form their own league, and bring out in the open what everyone knows already - that a lot of these guys are there to play football, and nothing else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •