What about Marc Trestman

Trestman's career as an OC or QB Coach:

88-89: Under Schottenheimer and then Bud Carson, coached Bernie Kosar...let go after 9-6-1 season, Cleveland falls to 3-13 season after Trestman leaves
90-91: Came home to Minnesota, left when Burns retired.
95-96: QB coach at San Fran, left when Seifert left the Niners and Mariucci got the job.
97: Spent a year at Detroit as a QB Coach, playoff team, left to go to AZ to be the OC/QB coach
98-00: OC/QB at AZ, left after season when Vince Tobin was fired midway through '00 season.
01-03: Went to Oakland, left when Callahan was fired.
'04: Wannstedt was fired during season in Miami, left when year was over.
'05-'06: Left to take a job in the CFL after Chuck Amato was fired.

Those who rip on the "multiple jobs in a short tenure" need to look at the bosses he coached under...wasn't exactly a litany of coaching icons he worked for (Bud Carson, Bobby Ross, Vince Tobin, Bill Callahan, Chuck Amato)

I like Trestman but I wouldn't want him as a college head coach...

Those who rip on the "multiple jobs in a short tenure" need to look at the bosses he coached under...wasn't exactly a litany of coaching icons he worked for (Bud Carson, Bobby Ross, Vince Tobin, Bill Callahan, Chuck Amato)

I think that its hard to say how he would do as a college coach. We are all trying to predict here and predictions can be wrong. I also think that when saying that he has had "multiple jobs with a short tenure" on needs to consider that many, many coaches have multiple jobs with short tenures. There are exceptions, but the nature of big time coaching is itinerant.

Trestman's career as an OC or QB Coach:

88-89: Under Schottenheimer and then Bud Carson, coached Bernie Kosar...let go after 9-6-1 season, Cleveland falls to 3-13 season after Trestman leaves
90-91: Came home to Minnesota, left when Burns retired.
95-96: QB coach at San Fran, left when Seifert left the Niners and Mariucci got the job.
97: Spent a year at Detroit as a QB Coach, playoff team, left to go to AZ to be the OC/QB coach
98-00: OC/QB at AZ, left after season when Vince Tobin was fired midway through '00 season.
01-03: Went to Oakland, left when Callahan was fired.
'04: Wannstedt was fired during season in Miami, left when year was over.
'05-'06: Left to take a job in the CFL after Chuck Amato was fired.

I think the fact that he could only land jobs with unstable teams speaks volumes about who wanted to hire him.....(teams who couldn't get anyone else).

I think the fact that he could only land jobs with unstable teams speaks volumes about who wanted to hire him.....(teams who couldn't get anyone else).

I hope we're not there yet, but if we see multiple candidates "withdrawing from consideration" maybe we are.

if Trestman is the hire, he better be about the 8th choice.
If our first 7 choices say we are not good enough to have them, then we will be fortunate to have Trestman.

The only thing I think of when I read about his offensive genius in the pros is "Jedd Fisch". No thanks.

I would like to get a coach here, who wants to be here. One of the things I didn't like about Mason was that he would of jumped at the chance to go Ohio State(can't say I blame the guy). It would be nice to get a coach here that doesn't look at this as a stepping stone like Lou Holtz did.
I also don't think this program is all that desirable to come into. You might need to look at a up and coming coach or pony up and pay a premium for someone to come here.

The only thing I think of when I read about his offensive genius in the pros is "Jedd Fisch". No thanks.

Blanket statements are the best. Jedd Fisch idolized Jon Gruden so this means the U should not hire Gruden. You write someone off purely on the fact that the boy wonder did not work out. I can name 20 people who watched Brewster's first press conference and said that the guy was joke (which makes me wonder how he was hired in the first place) but now we have fans ruling candidates out because they happened to coach on the same side of the ball in the NFL? Have you ever heard Trestman speak? Have you met him?

Right....Fisch is no Trestman.

Trestman is fairly well thought of in coaching circles, and I think he'd
understand how to coach COLLEGE kids much better than Fisch.

I think it would be a solid hire, were it to come to that.

The key is to get an up an coming coordinator from a strong program. Look to how previously down programs in major conferences turned their programs around.

List:

Wisconsin - Alvarez
Nebraska - Pelini
Arizona - Stoops
Oklahoma - Stoops

I believe you need a specific type of coach to turn around a mid to lower level BCS conference school.
Also I believe most of the people on the list above are defensivee minded coaches.

Color me totally underwhelmed with the idea of "Marc Trestman, University of Minnesota football head coach."

The only reason Dungy, and Trestman supporters, want him for the job is that he is an M man who most closely resembles a qualified head coach, and actually might take the job.

If he was that great, why has he never been a head coach at the collegiate level? The Vikings struck gold with a CFL head coach, but he was 40 and had been coaching for 10 years. Trestman is 54 and is in his 30th year of coaching. If he were worthy, he would've had his shot by now.

(P.S. Does that last sentence remind you of anyone you know?)

Blanket statements are the best. Jedd Fisch idolized Jon Gruden so this means the U should not hire Gruden. You write someone off purely on the fact that the boy wonder did not work out. I can name 20 people who watched Brewster's first press conference and said that the guy was joke (which makes me wonder how he was hired in the first place) but now we have fans ruling candidates out because they happened to coach on the same side of the ball in the NFL? Have you ever heard Trestman speak? Have you met him?

It would be fantastic if he came here and proved me wrong. I'm just skittish about offensive gurus touting their pro success and its ability to translate to the collegiate level since we picked out a lemon in Jedd.

Granted, and as pointed out, Trestman does have experience coaching in college (although 19ppg, no games against FBS competition scoring more than 24 points in his two seasons as NC State's OC is troubling) which Jedd didn't have, so he has a leg up there.

Top Bottom