What about Marc Trestman

Doc1001

Reaction score
He is hot as a pistol head coach of the Montreal Alouettes and went to school as a gopher. It was mentioned on the Sports Show last night. Would he want to come here? My one concern is that he doesnt seem to have a fiery personality but a fiery personality hasnt done much for us at the present time. Has lots of pro experience. When he was with the Oakland Raiders of all teams --as offensive coordinator --they led the league in offense. Been quarterbacks coach for tons of NFL teams.

I wonder that as well. He has lots of experience, and I can't imagine that a Big Ten job, even this one, wouldn't be a step up from the CFL.

I'm not sure how his knowledge transfers to the college game though.
Well who the heck knows? He might as well get a look, I'd imagine he'd have some interesting schemes to try, not sure how CFL coaches have done in transitioning to D1 ball.

He interviewed here twice if I recall. He says that he would do anything to help the U, but he's pretty happy living in Montreal.

It would all depend if he could make the adjustment away from CFL football, which I'm sure is not as difficult as I think it is.

That would be a really good story. Something the fans could get behind, one of our own coaching our own team.

But I want our next coach to have some real substance to his coaching. Not just talk, and empty promises.

The only thing I worry about is that a college head coach is as much an administrator and X-and-O guy. Trestman clearly has the X-and-O thing down. Administrative part of the job? That would be the question.

Take it for what it is worth but Sid said last night that Trestman loves Montreal and would not take this job. Sid also says that no one will take this job because interested candidates call former coaches and him and they tell the interested candidates what a tough job it is.

Trestman has worked for 12 different teams in the last 29 years. He has never spent more than 3 seasons in the same place. Lasted only 2 years at the collegiate level and got canned in 2006. Unemployed in 2007.

Take it for what it is worth but Sid said last night that Trestman loves Montreal and would not take this job. Sid also says that no one will take this job because interested candidates call former coaches and him and they tell the interested candidates what a tough job it is.
Which means Trestman would take the job and that many coaches would be interested.

It would all depend if he could make the adjustment away from CFL football, which I'm sure is not as difficult as I think it is.

That would be a really good story. Something the fans could get behind, one of our own coaching our own team.

But I want our next coach to have some real substance to his coaching. Not just talk, and empty promises.

He spent most of his career in the NFL, so it's not like he's been in Canada his whole life.
He certainly has the coaching substance and experience. I can see though why someone wouldn't want to deal with the recruiting BS of the college game.

Which means Trestman would take the job and that many coaches would be interested.

Sure Sid. People are really calling a 90 year-old semi-senile jerk for employment advice. Yep.

What Sid says is usually 180 degrees removed from fact. What he writes is not Sid at all...he has others do that for him.

I see him at the U of M for coaching clinics and such...he shows up conveniently around lunch time. He is always the first in line for a free meal. Thats the extent of his "insider" knowledge.

What Sid says is usually 180 degrees removed from fact. What he writes is not Sid at all...he has others do that for him.

I see him at the U of M for coaching clinics and such...he shows up conveniently around lunch time. He is always the first in line for a free meal. Thats the extent of his "insider" knowledge.

Plus he probably got second hand knowledge that Trestman liked Montreal which "blank or white" Sid equated to Trestman not wanting to come here.

Trestman probably loves Montreal- who doesn't? That said, he is making, at most, 250 000 and I think would jump at an NFL or NCAA opportunity. It should be noted that Trestman took over the most successful franchise in the CFL and has kept it as such. Not so hard when the rest of your division (Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg) have sucked for most of the 21st century. Really given their success they have won shockingly few Grey Cups and should have lost last year.

He did not build anything in Montreal.

The only CFL head coach who has had recent success in the US is Mike Riley of Orgeon State. Another interesting former CFL coach is Kent Austin, former head coach of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, fomer OC at Mississippi, and current Cornell head coach. I am still not sure why Ausitn took Cornell instead of waiting.

Head coaches tend to be people who believe in themselves, they aren't likely to think "that's too tough". This IS a BCS coaching job at a school with good facilities. You could say "well, Duke is a BCS job too", but the pit that Duke football is in is deeper than anything we are in. Duke hasn't had a winning record since 1994 and has gone winless 4 times since then. Our last winning season was 2 years ago.

I'm not comparing our situation to Duke to say that everything - or even anything - is OK, but the way some talk, you would think that the Minnesota job is as undesirable as is the Duke job.

But he probably gets free health care in Canada.

From the San Francisco Chronicle:

SPORTS
Trestman Decides To Stay With 49ers / Aide withdraws as Minnesota candidate

By Gary Swan, Chronicle Staff Writer | December 13, 1996

49ers offensive coordinator Marc Trestman reportedly withdrew last night from consideration in the search for a new head coach at Minnesota. Trestman who had appeared to be the front-runner told WCCO- TV in Minneapolis he was withdrawing but would not elaborate on his decision. Trestman and 49ers officials were unavailable for comment. With Trestman out of the picture in Minnesota where he is a favorite son in the Minneapolis area the 49ers again have to come to grips with an offensive coordinator who is not the favorite of players and assistant coaches.

I don't think there are a lot of top-flight coaches that would take this job right now. Trestman may very-well end up being the best candidate.

And there is probably a home for him, administartively, at the U even if he doesn't spend the next decade as HC.

I briefly spoke with Trestman when he was the OC for the Arizona Cardinals while at training camp in Flagstaff (I know that it was 10 years ago). I think that he had young children and said college positions are very time consuming. During the pro offseason he said that he could be home at 5 p.m. and spend time with his family, etc. College head coaches are on duty pretty much year round (recruiting and speaking at the Elks Club...) and at least 10 years ago that life did not sound appealing to him. But who knows, the kids are older and he might be looking for a new challenge.

The U could do a lot worse than Marc Trestman.

Trestman

Just opinions....Trestman is a bright guy. He is an attorney if memory serves. He certainly could handle the administrative aspects of being a head coach.

He was a quarterback. He has been a successful NFL offensive coordinator. (not a tight ends coach) He has been successful CFL head coach. His whole life has been USA football prior to the CFL. The question of whether he can adapt to the college game is pretty silly. How much more evidence does one need that he is able to adjust?

He was the quarterback coach for Kosar, who isn't exactly a text book quarterback, and Miami won the national title and Kosar was superb. Would seem he has an idea about the college game.

Again, he's bright...he withdrew from Minnesota as a candidate because he knew he wasn't going to get the job.

I don't know if he's the best candidate but he certainly is one of the best candidates. If he was offered the job, he'd accept it. He grew up in Minnesota. He's a competitor. Nobody with his background runs away from that opportunity or that challenge.

Trestman is an idiot. He can't hold an OC job in 11 man football for more than 3 years. He was sent to the russian front of major football (canada). There he will stay. If he is the best the program can get, may as well just take the .450 winning % and fastforward to 2015 to start looking again.

He is hot as a pistol head coach of the Montreal Alouettes and went to school as a gopher. It was mentioned on the Sports Show last night. Would he want to come here? My one concern is that he doesnt seem to have a fiery personality but a fiery personality hasnt done much for us at the present time. Has lots of pro experience. When he was with the Oakland Raiders of all teams --as offensive coordinator --they led the league in offense. Been quarterbacks coach for tons of NFL teams.

I understand Trestman was dying to get the job after Mason was fired. He even had a staff ready to go, including a current NFL D-coordinator at the time (to come in as D-coordinator). The scales tipped in favor of Brewster when a prominent alumni and currently high profile pro coach (a former boss of Brewster's, not hard to figure out who) swung their support to convincing Maturi Brew was the way to go. At least this is my understanding of things. I would hope Trestman would be willing to consider the job again, but who knows. He created Steve Walsh, Vinny Testaverde, Gino Torretta, and most recently Tim Tebow into NFL-caliber talent and I'd like to see what he can do with Alipate (considering Gray will be a WR).

I'd like to see Alipate remain the 4th string QB because the new regime brings someone in who is worth a damn. Dude was AWFUL at Jefferson.

Does anyone have any idea why he seemingly couldn't/didn't hold a job for more than a year or two? To me this is a red flag along the lines of Brewster never getting promoted to more than tight ends coach. If I was making any hiring decisions (which clearly I'm not) I would want some pretty good reasons for it. On the flip side I like some of his rhetoric on this page:

http://www.allcoachnetwork.com/trestman/philosophy.html

For those not wanting to read it he basically says his philosophy is to instill respect and accountability both on and off the field by stressing a team concept and clearly defining every player and coaches role on the team. He claims to make himself available to all players and coaches to help further their development and to put into place a system that will maximize the talent that is available.

He certainly has had good experiences under a lot of highly regarded coaches and from his website seems to say the right things but I still think the AD would want to take a LONG and HARD look at why he only stayed for a year or two.

He's not the worst candidate in the world, but he's only been a HC in Canada, we have no idea if his offense will translate to the Big 10, and we have no idea if he can recruit. And the fact that he's moved around so much is a red flag. He wouldn't be in my top 20 candidates and I hope we don't get that far down the list.

Looking at Trestman's coaching staff in Montreal, his RB & Asst. O Line coach is Andy Bischoff. Coach Bischoff was a very popular teacher and coach at CDH when I was there in the late 90s. Now I don't know why he left, if there is any ill will, but at first glance he would be a nice tag-a-long to a possible Gopher staff that would want to get into one of the best prep programs in the state.

Look at some of the statistics for the offenses he coached in the NFL. Some pretty serious numbers there. He does have the reputation as a bit of a job-hopper, and I'm not sure why, though considering he worked under Denny Green and for Al Davis and Art Modell, I can't say I wouldn't be looking to get out quickly as well.

Top Bottom