Flip Saunders at TCF for USC game

station19

Reaction score
From David Shama

Flip Saunders was at the Gophers-USC game last Saturday to see twin daughters Rachel and Kim who perform for the Minnesota Dance Team. Saunders, the Washington Wizards coach and former Gophers player, told Sports Headliners he has occasionally thought about the coaching opening at his alma mater in 2007. He was then coaching a Detroit Pistons playoff team and the timing wasn’t right to pursue the Gophers job that went to Tubby Smith.

When Saunders played for Bill Musselman in the 1970s the Gophers performed a pre-game ball handling routine set to music that filled the seats and electrified fans. Saunders said if he ever coaches collegiately he will use the pre-game show.

Saunders, who still has a home in this Minneapolis area, said John Wall was in town earlier this summer to spend time together and that the 2010 NBA first overall selection will start for the Wizards.

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

If / when Tubby does leave. I would not be opposed to a Flip coached basketball team. Tubby was definitley the right hire in 2007 and should be allowed to leave MN on his own terms, but when the time comes to replace him. I would be very much in favor of hiring Flip.

Worth noting -

He stood next to me during the Victory Walk while taking pictures of his daughters. His daughters are hot as hell, I think I might tap that.

If / when Tubby does leave. I would not be opposed to a Flip coached basketball team. Tubby was definitley the right hire in 2007 and should be allowed to leave MN on his own terms, but when the time comes to replace him. I would be very much in favor of hiring Flip.

I remember (along with everyone and their brother) posting on the hole about Flip coaching at MN. I was also in favor of this, and would love to see Flip come back and coach at the UofM.

I remember talking to a fellow Gopher fan about it in '07 and seeing a shooting star while fantasizing about a Saunders led Gopher team. So, in my mind, it's already a done deal. It's a matter of when, not if.

I remember (along with everyone and their brother) posting on the hole about Flip coaching at MN. I was also in favor of this, and would love to see Flip come back and coach at the UofM.

I remember talking to a fellow Gopher fan about it in '07 and seeing a shooting star while fantasizing about a Saunders led Gopher team. So, in my mind, it's already a done deal. It's a matter of when, not if.

Flip is an old aquantance of mine, not a close friend, but in talking to mutual friends, he was definately interested when Tubby got hired, just bad timing. By the time Tubby retires here at Minnesota, assuming he does, Flip will be over 60 years old. Not sure he would still do it then. I know I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Gopher bench.

Flip did more than occasionally think about the job back then, there we're alot of very plugged in MN basketball people and media members who we're absolutely convinced he was going to take this job after the season but then the Detroit owner put the sqeeze on Flip and made him make a decision that would of cost him alot of money. There we're also very strong indications recently that Flip was ready to jump at the Gopher job if Tubby had left last summer. I talked to one person who knows him who said he was really tired of the NBA, especially after having to deal with the Wizard players last year and the whole Arenas mess, and was really looking forward to getting back to college. I guess it will always come down to timing to see if it can work out. if Wall is as good as advertised and they clean out Arenas and other headcases, and they start winning, maybe it becomes fun again for him. alot will depend on Tubby as well. I know Flip views MN as the last job he takes and retires from so he needs to be sure he's over the NBA. From talking to Zierdon this summer, without going into details, it sounds like the situation in Washington was a complete nightmare and there was plenty going on that never made it to the public.

Worth noting -

He stood next to me during the Victory Walk while taking pictures of his daughters. His daughters are hot as hell, I think I might tap that.

As someone with a daughter, I would be remiss if I didn't call you out as an idiot.

As someone with a daughter, I would be remiss if I didn't call you out as an idiot.

It's natural man, calm down :p When you get the time, PM your daughters email to me !

It's natural man, calm down :p When you get the time, PM your daughters email to me !

Karma - expect you to ultimately have 3 beautiful daughters and a with that a bunch of crude boys chasing them. Enjoy!

thestl....sorry man, but no man's daughters are interested in a short, fat, pimply faced jerk with a small one.

Top Bottom