Weber to the fans

Why? Because I have a different opinion than yours? Because I am not blindly supporting a team that has been an embarrassment to the school and state for the last fifty years? I want this program to turn around, but I refuse to fall in lockstep with the rose colored glasses perspectives.

It is because you recommended kicking the team captain off of the team, which makes you an idiot. Sorry, but there isn't any other conclusion to come up with. I advise try taking a deep breath before making such stupid statements. This isn't that hard.

It is because you recommended kicking the team captain off of the team, which makes you an idiot. Sorry, but there isn't any other conclusion to come up with. I advise try taking a deep breath before making such stupid statements. This isn't that hard.

Sorry, I didn't realize that Team Captain = Sacred Cow. I think your comments underscore just how bad off this team is. The Team Captain is a guy who doesn't lead and lets criticism get to him. Moo.

Sorry, I didn't realize that Team Captain = Sacred Cow. I think your comments underscore just how bad off this team is. The Team Captain is a guy who doesn't lead and lets criticism get to him. Moo.

Just stop!

Okay, Mr. Weber.

It's not about Weber. I'm all for starting over with Gray at qb. It is about making idiotic statements and not taking responsibility for them. You made one of the dumbest statements I've ever read on this site when you recommended kicking Weber off of the team. I realize you don't like someone calling you out on it, but buck up and deal with it.

Maybe like... Florida can kick a kid off the team for struggling, but I don't think kicking a guy who has by all accounts worked his ass off to try to succeed to the curb sends a good message to the team or recruits. If it's time to sit him then fine, sit him, but you don't overreact and kick him off the team unless he's violated team rules in a severe way. There's no way he gets kicked off the team and I'm not sure there's a better immediate option at QB on the roster anyways.

and I'm not sure there's a better immediate option at QB on the roster anyways.

There isn't or the coaches would have done it long ago - loyalty doesn't get you far at this level.

It's not about Weber. I'm all for starting over with Gray at qb. It is about making idiotic statements and not taking responsibility for them. You made one of the dumbest statements I've ever read on this site when you recommended kicking Weber off of the team. I realize you don't like someone calling you out on it, but buck up and deal with it.

No. I strongly feel that he is not a good leader or QB. He is better off at a D2 school. We have wasted three years on him, but he needs to be defended because he is the state's golden boy QB. He is some kind of sacred cow and no one wants to hear that he is inferior. I have to defend this team to my in-laws who are Hawkeye and Cornhusker fans and there is no defense for his mediocrity. In fact, I think his mediocrity borders on the criminal. I feel that he has defrauded the U out of a scholarship. He has not made the improvements that he was lauded as being able to make. and as much as it is Brewsters fault, the true responsibility lies on his shoulders because he goes out on the field and makes (or not) the plays in the game.

At the end of last season, he was still overthrowing or throwing behind his receivers. Sadly I can't comment on this season so far since The Gophers have yet to appear on TV.

I don't find it idiotic to want him off the team. It makes room for a back up for Gray. Weber is the Tavaris Jackson of the Golden Gophers.

At the end of last season, he was still overthrowing or throwing behind his receivers. Sadly I can't comment on this season so far since The Gophers have yet to appear on TV.
So you haven't even watched him play this season and you're dictating whether he deserves to be on the team based on his play? That's curious.

So you haven't even watched him play this season and you're dictating whether he deserves to be on the team based on his play? That's curious.

More like idiotic, but who's keeping score?

Well, let's see. We have the highlights on the news. Those are a pretty good snapshot of what he is or is not doing. They don't show him doing anything new, outstanding or revolutionary to his game. The emperor still has no clothes. If he did, it would be the talk of the town. He didn't deserve to be on the team last year, so why haven't we heard of or seen his drastic improvements.

I have lived the Gopher-Maintain-the-status-quo lie for too long. As rapidly as this team is going backward, no player is making an effort to reverse the course and the leaders of the team stand out in their failure to put on the brakes.

No. I strongly feel that he is not a good leader or QB. He is better off at a D2 school. We have wasted three years on him, but he needs to be defended because he is the state's golden boy QB. He is some kind of sacred cow and no one wants to hear that he is inferior. I have to defend this team to my in-laws who are Hawkeye and Cornhusker fans and there is no defense for his mediocrity. In fact, I think his mediocrity borders on the criminal. I feel that he has defrauded the U out of a scholarship. He has not made the improvements that he was lauded as being able to make. and as much as it is Brewsters fault, the true responsibility lies on his shoulders because he goes out on the field and makes (or not) the plays in the game.

I don't find it idiotic to want him off the team. It makes room for a back up for Gray. Weber is the Tavaris Jackson of the Golden Gophers.

Weber is a criminal for his play. You really can't make this up. Thanks for this by the way, good way to go to bed.

Well, let's see. We have the highlights on the news. Those are a pretty good snapshot of what he is or is not doing. They don't show him doing anything new, outstanding or revolutionary to his game. The emperor still has no clothes. If he did, it would be the talk of the town. He didn't deserve to be on the team last year, so why haven't we heard of or seen his drastic improvements.

I have lived the Gopher-Maintain-the-status-quo lie for too long. As rapidly as this team is going backward, no player is making an effort to reverse the course and the leaders of the team stand out in their failure to put on the brakes.
The highlights give you tunnel vision and are prone to some selection bias. In a good game they'll show you all the good, in a disappointing game they'll show you most of the bad. Furthermore you don't tend to see everything that unfolds around the play: how the drive set up, how the pocket formed, how the passing lanes held up, where the receivers were, what the opportunities were, what the coaches were trying to accomplish on that drive, etc. You just see bits and pieces out of context. I'm not arguing Weber is a great QB, but that you're not getting the entire picture.

Change for its own sake can be enticing, but I don't think anyone on this staff is driven by loyalty. They are in total desperation, save their ass mode at this point and they just don't think there's anyone on the roster who can hold the offense together as well as Weber can.

Be careful what you ask for. Weber's performance has been poor but different is not necessarily better and we may see an even bigger drop with a shift to another player. If an experienced, veteran QB is playing this poorly in this offense with this supporting cast what is a younger QB going to accomplish?

Apparently the guys aren't even showing enough in practice to grab a series or two.

And, as I said, Weber has put his work in. If he gets beat out and has to sit that's fine but booting the guy off the team because you're frustrated is childish and isn't going to happen.

At the end of last season, he was still overthrowing or throwing behind his receivers. Sadly I can't comment on this season so far since The Gophers have yet to appear on TV. .

See, the bolded elements here make it tough on those of us who don't believe Weber eats babies and kills puppies, but still don't want him to QB the team. Why, you ask?

1. The coaches can gank a player's scholarship at any time. They can also bench him. Suggesting his behavior borders on criminal or he's somehow defrauding the U is just absurd. I think he's a mediocre-at-best QB who isn't going to take the team anywhere. There are a lot of college athletes that plateau and never achieve greatness. Should we lock all of them up? Or better yet, let's just shoot them, like broken-down racehorses.

2. You haven't even watched a game this year. Pretty tough to defend your position when you don't have any first-hand evidence of what happened.

Consequently, when I then make a fairly innocuous statement like "Weber concerns me. I don't think he's consistent enough to win a game if our running game is stopped" I'm met with: "WHY DO YOU HATE WEBER??1? DO YOU EVEN WATCH THE GAM3S?" So instead of a reasonable discussion on the merits of Weber, I have to deal with people asking why I think he should be euthanized. That's vexing.

The highlights give you tunnel vision and are prone to some selection bias. In a good game they'll show you all the good, in a disappointing game they'll show you most of the bad. Furthermore you don't tend to see everything that unfolds around the play: how the drive set up, how the pocket formed, how the passing lanes held up, where the receivers were, what the opportunities were, what the coaches were trying to accomplish on that drive, etc. You just see bits and pieces out of context. I'm not arguing Weber is a great QB, but that you're not getting the entire picture.

Change for its own sake can be enticing, but I don't think anyone on this staff is driven by loyalty. They are in total desperation, save their ass mode at this point and they just don't think there's anyone on the roster who can hold the offense together as well as Weber can.

Be careful what you ask for. Weber's performance has been poor but different is not necessarily better and we may see an even bigger drop with a shift to another player. If an experienced, veteran QB is playing this poorly in this offense with this supporting cast what is a younger QB going to accomplish?

Apparently the guys aren't even showing enough in practice to grab a series or two.

And, as I said, Weber has put his work in. If he gets beat out and has to sit that's fine but booting the guy off the team because you're frustrated is childish and isn't going to happen.

I give you much credit for being so nice to this dolt. I can't do it. I will try harder with the next one though-I really will.

No. It is time to scrap this season. The exasperation on Brewster's face said it all. This season needs to be sacrificed to start ramping up for the "new look" Big Ten. Do we really want to defend players and coaches who will put this team further behind the competitive eight ball next year. People are talking about a 3 win season as being a victory. Really? Is that we feel we deserve? Do we really want another fifty years of football inferiority? Many fans feel that way by the no shows and unsold tickets to today's home opener. The impending embarrassment of next week only serves to magnify the urgency of turning around this football program. There will be recruits watching USC eat our lunch. Would that make you want to come here or go to USC where you can at least have the dignity of winning games?

Put in the context of what we have put up with and where we want to go and it is a practical and humane way of giving this program an upper hand.

No. It is time to scrap this season. The exasperation on Brewster's face said it all. This season needs to be sacrificed to start ramping up for the "new look" Big Ten. Do we really want to defend players and coaches who will put this team further behind the competitive eight ball next year. People are talking about a 3 win season as being a victory. Really? Is that we feel we deserve? Do we really want another fifty years of football inferiority? Many fans feel that way by the no shows and unsold tickets to today's home opener. The impending embarrassment of next week only serves to magnify the urgency of turning around this football program. There will be recruits watching USC eat our lunch. Would that make you want to come here or go to USC where you can at least have the dignity of winning games?

Put in the context of what we have put up with and where we want to go and it is a practical and humane way of giving this program an upper hand.
You're missing the point though. I don't believe booting Weber off the team makes a win against USC more likely. That's the crux of our disagreement here.

You're missing the point though. I don't believe booting Weber off the team makes a win against USC more likely. That's the crux of our disagreement here.

The only way we beat USC is for the NCAA to bring down sanctions on them that leave only the cheerleaders and equipment managers able to take the field.

It's about maintaining some modicum of integrity in the face of recruits.

The only way we beat USC is for the NCAA to bring down sanctions on them that leave only the cheerleaders and equipment managers able to take the field.
So if you've given up totally then why worry about what order the refuse gets stacked in?

So if you've given up totally then why worry about what order the refuse gets stacked in?

I want it to be fertilizer for the future. It needs to decompose rapidly. We need to show recruits we are serious about the future of our program and we want players who put forth their best efforts all the time.

I want it to be fertilizer for the future. It needs to decompose rapidly. We need to show recruits we are serious about the future of our program and we want players who put forth their best efforts all the time.

Nice try trying to deflect your insane comments. Thanks for the laughs.

Making a move out of spite and downgrading the most critical position on offense in the process does not show recruits you are serious about winning. It shows them you're emotional and that the staff will use you as a scapegoat should the need arise.

Making a move out of spite and downgrading the most critical position on offense in the process does not show recruits you are serious about winning. It shows them you're emotional and that the staff will use you as a scapegoat should the need arise.

This program is at a point where a scorched earth policy is the only way to go.

This program is at a point where a scorched earth policy is the only way to go.

Sure worked for Sherman in winning the hearts and minds of the South. They still speak fondly of him....

Sure worked for Sherman in winning the hearts and minds of the South. They still speak fondly of him....

If you put it in the context of being a sacrificial martyr to rally them, then sure it worked.

I don think he was saying F U i think it was more along the lines of c'mon guys. but seriously, when you throw that bad consistently, you have to expect it. he hit the cornerback in the back, eliciting first laughter at the ineptitude then the booing. He's looking at us, we didnt make that throw.

its not like the booing is new, he heard it all last year. he knew he had to shape himself up to get better, and he hasnt in the least. just watching from my vantage point id wager a good 75% of his completions yesterday were solely on the athleticism of our recievers.

itd be a scary scary good offense with a competent QB at the helm now that bennett is back up to speed. i like gray at WR bring in alipate.

DO NOT BRING IN ALIPATE^^ (he has no idea how to run a big ten offense)
weber is still our best option at qb. those clamoring for gray at QB must not know anything, because he can't throw the ball consistently even in practice against our scout D. Hopefully he worhs his ass off to be our next QB but for now he is a pretty damn good #1 wr.

Top Bottom