Some Honesty Here

Reaction score
You have got to ask yourself is Iowa 55 points better than Minnesota? The last time a team beat Minnesota this badly was 1991 when John Gutekunst coached the Gophers and that was against a great Colorado team. Gutey was fired at season's end. No one beat a Wacker or Mason team this badly. Mason lost to a great tOSU that played for the national title 44-0 in 2006. He was fired at the end of the season. When Mason took over for Wacker, he had less talent on the roster than Mason handed off to Brewster. Check the rostershttp://ericthrall.com/gophers/. The second year Mason coached an emerging Golden Gopher team in 1998, he beat Iowa 49-7 the last game of the season and played the last half of the Big Ten season tough against good teams. There was momentum. The offensive scheme was getting better. This team is going in the opposite direction and it is a reason for legitimate concern.

55-0 is stunning for a team supposedly on the rise.

Tim Brewster has an 8-16 record for his first 2 years. Look who he has beaten:

Montana State
Miami of Ohio
Northern Illinois
Bowling Green
Florida Atlantic
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue

Glen Mason had an 8-15 record his first two seasons, but then his team went 8-4 and was ranked 17th and 18th in the final national polls. Will Brewster do the same? Not based on the momentum he has at the end of the season. This team is going backward....no Mason momentum here. If Brewster were not just in his second year, he would be fired after the bowl game....like Mason.

We don't know what will happen next year, but we sure know the final regular season game is not a good omen.....and that is coming from someone with a screen name BrewsterBooster.

cut it out Glen

How did you have time to post so soon? The dynamics and culture in college football is vastly different from when you started with Minnesota. The cream puffs 12 years ago are better and parity is quickly on the rise. You had a decent run but you really should stick to TV.

I disagree on the talent handoff

Brewster sure didn't get any future all americans. Just looking at Tyrone Carter and Ben Hamilton, that's two significant impact player missing from 2007. Sauter was not too shabby as a QB either. Hamner was very successful. Actually, the more I look at the 1997 roster the more it becomes clear it wasn't close. Mason inherited better players than Brewster did.

Yes, the 55-0 whipping is very difficult to understand and accept. At the beginning of the season, I said we could expect 4 or 5 wins this year. That was based on talent level and the youth we had playing in critical positions. We are the youngest team in the Big Ten with little depth at almost every position. Young teams are up and down. Tim Brewster will get a couple more recruiting classes in here and then we can make a judgement about him. Next year will likely be no better than this year in terms of wins and losses. The following year, look out. This team will be in the hunt.

It looks like we'll have the talent.

will we have the coaching to contend?

Judging by the "coaching" we've seen so far, the answer is no. We might get an Illinois type season from last year somewhere in the mix, but most likely, with this coaching staff, we'll have a lot of talent and a lot of people asking why we didn't do more with it.

We are. Ron Zook lite.

Glen "Anti BrewsterBooster" Mason

You have got to ask yourself is Iowa 55 points better than Minnesota? The last time a team beat Minnesota this badly was 1991 when John Gutekunst coached the Gophers and that was against a great Colorado team. Gutey was fired at season's end. No one beat a Wacker or Mason team this badly. Mason lost to a great tOSU that played for the national title 44-0 in 2006. He was fired at the end of the season. When Mason took over for Wacker, he had less talent on the roster than Mason handed off to Brewster. Check the rostershttp://ericthrall.com/gophers/. The second year Mason coached an emerging Golden Gopher team in 1998, he beat Iowa 49-7 the last game of the season and played the last half of the Big Ten season tough against good teams. There was momentum. The offensive scheme was getting better. This team is going in the opposite direction and it is a reason for legitimate concern.

55-0 is stunning for a team supposedly on the rise.

Tim Brewster has an 8-16 record for his first 2 years. Look who he has beaten:

Montana State
Miami of Ohio
Northern Illinois
Bowling Green
Florida Atlantic
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue

Glen Mason had an 8-15 record his first two seasons, but then his team went 8-4 and was ranked 17th and 18th in the final national polls. Will Brewster do the same? Not based on the momentum he has at the end of the season. This team is going backward....no Mason momentum here. If Brewster were not just in his second year, he would be fired after the bowl game....like Mason.

We don't know what will happen next year, but we sure know the final regular season game is not a good omen.....and that is coming from someone with a screen name BrewsterBooster.

No offense, but you are full of BS. Mason inherited a much better offensive nucleus than Brewster and didn't lose is best defensive returning starter to stupidity like Brewster did. Also, Mason never had momentum...ever! We lost every big post big win game we ever faced. Collapsed regularly in the fourth quarter and never had a top 3 big ten defense. Can't win big games without a big defense.

I look forward to the next three years and the rise of a dominant gopher defense!

Will Brewster do the same? Not based on the momentum he has at the end of the season. This team is going backward....no Mason momentum here.
Backwards??? I'm as disappointed as anyone over that showing yesterday but they were 1-11 last year. A reality check may be in order for some of you.

Backwards??? I'm as disappointed as anyone over that showing yesterday but they were 1-11 last year. A reality check may be in order for some of you.
Well, I think he's speaking of the unfortunate way the season ended. Taken as a whole the team took a step forward, but they definitely backed their way out of this season with progressively worse performances down the stretch.

I'm not a believer in momentum really, not as its commonly used in sports discussion, but it is a troubling sign.

8-16 overall
0-6 in trophy games
3-13 in B10 games
1-7 at home vs. B10 teams
0 wins vs. "decent" teams
A QB that is regressing

How is this moving forward???

8-16 overall
0-6 in trophy games
3-13 in B10 games
1-7 at home vs. B10 teams
0 wins vs. "decent" teams
A QB that is regressing

How is this moving forward???
Well, lumping an admittedly disastrous campaign from 2007 in with this years is going to skew things. Ultimately I don't know if the program is on the proper path, but by any objective measure 2008 was a better year than 2007. Though the quality of the teams they beat this year is absolutely in question, they weren't even beating the questionable teams last year.

And saying that Weber is regressing is, I think, a bit of a complex cause fallacy. There were a lot of things wrong with the offense down the stretch from protection breakdowns to play calling to poor HB and receiver play. Weber struggled, but I don't think you can lay it all on his shoulders. He was presented with difficult circumstances and wasn't really put in a position to succeed.

It would have been a Herculean task to drag this offense down the field with how it was playing at the end of the year.

I don't think all is lost but I somewhat agree with Art. Last week I posted a thread about holding off crowning this coaching staff and I was flamed for it. There's an old saying that goes, "you're either getting better or getting worse."

Again, I don't think all is lost but the gophers need to transition their apparent recruiting success into wins on the field. Hopefully it will come over the next couple of years.

I don't think all is lost but I somewhat agree with Art. Last week I posted a thread about holding off crowning this coaching staff and I was flamed for it. There's an old saying that goes, "you're either getting better or getting worse."

Again, I don't think all is lost but the gophers need to transition their apparent recruiting success into wins on the field. Hopefully it will come over the next couple of years.
I think anyone expecting this team to be competitive so quickly was setting themselves up for disappointment. Whenever a program goes through wholesale change like this and institutes what amounts to shock reform at all levels it's going to be painful. We've seen much more storied programs than Minnesota struggle with moves to new schemes (Nebraska, Auburn et al) so just having the talent obviously isn't the whole problem.

The frustrating thing is not knowing whether the program is on the right path, but outside of the extremes it generally takes at least 3 years to really gauge a move like this. Enough time to find the right mix of coaches, implement offensive and defensive schemes completely and to swap out a significant number of players.

Honesty? We played with 10 seniors, Coach Brewster has had one true recruiting class. Freshmen played. The starting running back went down. The offensive line was never settled. Injuries, preformance, and confidence was shattered. Given three years in the program, Davis, Orton, and Wynn will all be at, near or over 300 pound. The recruiting is targeting offense line as we did with defense last year. Olson, Campion, Michel. They are pursuing Lewan. Carufel will start as a Junior, he of 6-5 and 300. And mark my word, Ra shede Hageman will be a Big plus to the offensive line

Coach Brewster needs a power back. Eskridge needs to bulk up or we need to truely give Tate a shot. The back standing next to Weber needs to be a threat. The offense needs more under center snaps. With Weber, the offense screams option. But we have no threat up the gut. And the one play I don't think they ran was a reverse to Decker throwing to Weber. Just think how Dave Lee would describe that.

The biggest problem maybe the spread itself. Maybe we went to it just as it was being defensed.

I think it's pretty unlikely that it's a systemic problem, unless it's a problem specific to Dunbar's implementation of it. And even then that really just comes down to execution.

Whether to try to shoehorn existing talent into a system or adapt a system to the talent is an eternal debate for college programs. Outside of adding wrinkles specific to your personnel most programs favor the former. Weber is a nice player, but I don't think he's a special player that you scrap an entire offensive system for. It's up to Brewster and his coaches to assemble the personnel around him to be successful and then it's incumbent upon Weber to mature and learn to execute that system. And if he can't Gray or someone else will.

55-0 is a terrible loss, but look at who we have on the field. Realistically, you're not going to win with true freshmen plugging all of the holes in your starting team. These young guys will be good down the road in a year or two, but this is the Big Ten and they're 19 years old. True freshmen running backs, true freshmen seeing time on the D-Line, redshirt freshmen and sophomores on the offensive line, a sophomore quarterback, true freshmen receivers on the field three-at-a-time...what do you expect? Well, maybe not a 55 point shutout...but I didn't even expect this team to beat Illinois, Purdue, or Indiana at the beginning of the year.

Mason didn't recruit jack in his last few years other than Dom Jones and Alex Daniels. He collected his paycheck and rested on his laurels. Decker, VanDeSteeg, and Jack Simmons will go NFL, but no one thought that they would out of high school. It's not like Mason competed with Ohio State to land those guys.

The jury is still out on how Brewster's staff will coach if they continue to rebuild the talent level on the team. In 2007 they inherited a team depleted of talent that was basically manned with mostly intramural-level players. Roof has done a great job with the defense, but where would the team be without bringing in Brock, Lawrence, and Traye Simmons? Probably 1-11 again.

At least give them the chance to see what they can do once the team has talent on the field.

Top Bottom