2011 NFL lockout, theories on effects?

Ole

Reaction score
Going off of the reusse buzz article.
What happens in 2011 if the NFL is locked out and the Gophers for arguement's sake go 8-4 with a nice season lead by Gray?
Any long term effects?

If this happens, the U could have a crazy effective marketing campaign touting the fact that the Gophers are indeed truly THE home state football team and play for the pride of Minnesota, not just straight cash homey.

Theories on this possibility?

2011 could be a big year regardless, with a little bit of an easier schedule (depends on the conference slate, which will now change from what it was going to be), a lot of returning players, and, assuming the coaching staff is still here, more continuity there. If there's no NFL next season, there will be a lot more casual eyes on the Gophers just by default of having no other major football to look forward to on Saturdays. If the team is coming off a 6 win minimum campaign, there might actually be a small bit of buzz going into the next season, where I'm pretty sure you'll see far more positive outlooks from the national pundits during the preseason. It could have great affects.

But the team has to take advantage by making noise, create some "Storm the field" moments, stuff like that.

Why wait for next year? The Vikings could (hope not) be a train wreck this year. Injuries and a tougher schedule could lead to a big letdown.

Nothing is expected of the Gophers, so this year is crucial.

The NFL has some very heavy topics in negotiations this time around and I think a lockout is not going to be avoided.

I just hope the Vikings and Gophers never share a stadium again.

2011 could be a big year regardless, with a little bit of an easier schedule (depends on the conference slate, which will now change from what it was going to be), a lot of returning players, and, assuming the coaching staff is still here, more continuity there. If there's no NFL next season, there will be a lot more casual eyes on the Gophers just by default of having no other major football to look forward to on Saturdays. If the team is coming off a 6 win minimum campaign, there might actually be a small bit of buzz going into the next season, where I'm pretty sure you'll see far more positive outlooks from the national pundits during the preseason. It could have great affects.

But the team has to take advantage by making noise, create some "Storm the field" moments, stuff like that.

I'm waiting for this too, IMO a gold storm streaming from the student's section after beating USC would look amazing on sportscenter, Washington's USC victory last year has already payed huge dividends for their program. Texas Tech's victory against Texas awhile back was epic for their program too. That kind of a moment can be huge for recruiting and positive perception nationally.

I just hope the Vikings and Gophers never share a stadium again.

Until the world's greatest architects find a way to jam over 150 suites into TCF Bank Stadium, thankfully it aint gonna happen.

Until the world's greatest architects find a way to jam over 150 suites into TCF Bank Stadium, thankfully it aint gonna happen.

And magically build them their own locker room that lacks a big block M. And a set of visiting locker facilities that are NFL quality. And find a way to cover the thousands of block M's throughout the stadium. Etc, etc. :) Definitely not happening.

I would LOVE to see an NFL lockout, but any potential benefits the Gophers see from such a scenario are secondary to me. I'm just sick of the NFL in general.

If/when the Vikings get a new stadium, they will inevitably play 1-2 seasons at TCF. It's very doubtful they will renew their lease at the Metrodome, assuming they don't tear it down outright and build there.

If/when the Vikings get a new stadium, they will inevitably play 1-2 seasons at TCF. It's very doubtful they will renew their lease at the Metrodome, assuming they don't tear it down outright and build there.

That would only happen if they tear down the Metrodome and build the new stadium there. If they build elsewhere, they wouldn't need to rent TCF. I think the Vikings should build their new stadium in Saint Cloud. So long as the Gophers get good revenue out of it, and that any Vikings decorations are temporary and taken down after their games, I have no problem with a temporary arrangement.

That would only happen if they tear down the Metrodome and build the new stadium there. If they build elsewhere, they wouldn't need to rent TCF. I think the Vikings should build their new stadium in Saint Cloud. So long as the Gophers get good revenue out of it, and that any Vikings decorations are temporary and taken down after their games, I have no problem with a temporary arrangement.

Lester Bagley, VP of Stadium Development for the Vikings, has come out and said they will not renew at the Metrodome, and that they already have an agreement in place with the U of M.

I have often thought about a signature victory followed by a storming of the field by the fans. But, given all the red tape and 'no fun' attitude at the 'U', this attempt would probably be met with some sort of huge security show, ready to duplicate a Kent State scene to "save" the students from possible injury.

;)

I agree with you. But I hope the U forces the Vikes to bend over and grab their ankles for those 2 years to make up for the quarter century screw job we got from the Vikes and the dome on revenue. Zygi doesn't get a dime for parking or concessions for any Vikings game. And luxury suite sales. Fuggedibout it! As Khan said to Kirk "revenge is a dish best served cold".

The scenario someone described of what happens if the Vikes implode (crappy OL, no WR's, Favre playing his age) and the Gophers exceed expectations is interesting, but short of the Vikes going 3-13 and the Gophers contending for the Rose Bowl I don't see the needle moving much on the Fan-O-Meter.

Re: Potential NFL lockout:

In the short term, all of the effects for the Gophers would be beneficial. This is totally different than the supposed arguments of the Vikings moving, which I believe are moot because the NFL would still be #1, and there would just be more--cringe--Packer fans here. But in this instance there would be no NFL. At all.

Football is undoubtedly the favorite sport in this country, and people are still going to want to consume it, but they will simply have to embrace the college game. This bodes well for our Gophers. Much of that potential coverage and viewership the Vikings would have gotten: Gophers.

Selling out games won't be a problem. Mark my words.

Couple all of this with the fact that if the stars are aligning, and the predictions are accurate about 2011 being our real breakout season? That could create a HUGE buzz for the Gophers, perhaps just the jolt that's been missing for 4 decades.

In the long term, fans don't respond well to lockouts/strikes. It took baseball a while to recover, and I don't know that the NHL has ever recovered. You could really solidify a fan base if you run with the momentum that this could create.

Definitely food for thought.

When the lockout happens, and it will happen, it all comes down to how hard the U is willing market the program. If they aren't willing to undergo a massive marketing blitz like we have never seen from them, I guess I personally don't see the lockout helping long-term. But if they are willing to go all in, I see it helping long-term. As someone who works in advertising, that is my professional opinion...but then again, I don't think the U does enough to market the program as it is, so what do I know.

Maybe when the Vikings share TCF for 2 years they will finally get some cash registers!!! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom