Default Are MN bars open on Sunday, 7/4?

My brother just moved up to Richfield earlier this month, and a group of us are staying up there all weekend, hitting a game @ Target Field on the 3rd, and catching The Hold Steady @ First Ave on the 4th. I'm just wondering if we're going to be able drink at the show, or pregame at any bars downtown. I know that Minnesota has surprisingly puritanical liquor laws, given the State's generally progressive political outlook, and that sales of anything over 3.2 beer is outlawed on Sunday. Is this off-sale only? Will we be able to hit the bars prior to the show on Sunday, or will we have to stock up on booze on saturday to be properly smashed for THS's show? We're looking to hit Matt's Bar, amongst other South side watering holes. Thanks again.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    My brother just moved up to Richfield earlier this month, and a group of us are staying up there all weekend, hitting a game @ Target Field on the 3rd, and catching The Hold Steady @ First Ave on the 4th. I'm just wondering if we're going to be able drink at the show, or pregame at any bars downtown. I know that Minnesota has surprisingly puritanical liquor laws, given the State's generally progressive political outlook, and that sales of anything over 3.2 beer is outlawed on Sunday. Is this off-sale only? Will we be able to hit the bars prior to the show on Sunday, or will we have to stock up on booze on saturday to be properly smashed for THS's show? We're looking to hit Matt's Bar, amongst other South side watering holes. Thanks again.
    Bars are open till two but it being the wknd of the 4th and a Sunday its tough to say if they will be very busy. Also Liquor stores close at 10 each night but Sunday, a WI trip is always doable too.
    Last edited by betterdeadthanred; 06-28-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betterdeadthanred View Post
    Bars are open till two but it being the wknd of the 4th and a Sunday its tough to say if they will be very busy. Also Liquor stores close at 10 each night but Sunday, a WI trip is always doable too.
    So they will be open on Sunday, right? I don't really give a rip if they're busy, as long as they're open. I just want to get drunk in some interesting places pre-show.

4. Default

There will be a few that are closed because they are not open Sundays, but Brothers, Sneaky Pete's, and other bars should be.

There will be a few that are closed because they are not open Sundays, but Brothers, Sneaky Pete's, and other bars should be.
    Are those downtown?

6. Default

Yep those Kiernan's and Huberts are all about a block from First Ave (venue) and on 1st Ave.

Yep those Kiernan's and Huberts are all about a block from First Ave (venue) and on 1st Ave.
    Good to know. Last time I went to a show in that area, and got there early enough to pregame, I was still underaged, so I pounded beer in the back seat of a car in a parking garage.

Looking forward to exploring the Twin Cities this weekend.

8. Default

Nice. Shamrocks and the Blue Door have better burgers than Matt's but they are in St Paul.

Yeah, I just wanna try one of those damn burgers with the cheese on the inside. Apparently Matt's invented it.

10. Default

Yeah, I just wanna try one of those damn burgers with the cheese on the inside. Apparently Matt's invented it.
    Don't say that at the 5-8 Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakin' The Plane View Post
    Don't say that at the 5-8 Club.

So I'm told. Which one is actually better?

12. Default

So I'm told. Which one is actually better?
    Don't ask me, I've never had one. Not a big fan of cheese.

13. Default

Matt's is better than 5-8 but both are inferior to the other 2 I listed.

Matt's is better than 5-8 but both are inferior to the other 2 I listed.
    Nice. We probably won't make it into St. Paul though. My brother lives in Richfield, so the others are much closer.