2010-2011 Recruiting Season

#2Gopher

Reaction score
Due to the fact that the offense had it share of problems last year, it obviously was a reflection of our season. As a result we lost some recruits due to the results. This year with our new coordinator, stronger players, confidence among the players, it is my belief that the program will be stronger as a whole. Due to that the recruiting will jell as the season moves along and will pick up players that perhaps were committed elsewhere early on in the recruiting process.
I don't think we can predict nor should we how the recruiting season will go. I believe in Brewster and he will get the most out of his players in the long run who will take the time to work out hard. Ratings don't always mean that much. Patience folks. We've been in a "hole" for a long time, and rebuilding a team doesn't happen over night. Go Gophers!

You are right, you can't really predict how recruiting will go.

However, the current recruiting season began this past February......and we're not doing that well so far. Remember, once the season begins, the amount of time spent on recruiting is reduced greatly.

I agree with parts of your post:

1.Whether by accident or design, Brewster has finally stumbled upon an offensive coordinator who isn't either a malcontent or a tool.

2.We've been in a hole for a long, long time.

3.Patience is a virtue

The rest of your post, not so much. I've yet to see Brewster develop any of his recruits to the potential he hyped them to on signing day. Who was that midget Brewster recruited early on as the fastest guy he'd ever seen? One could argue that Marquies Gray is another example. Someone posted a "where are they now" of many of the recruits from Brewster's vaunted 2008 class. Most of the noteworthy players have either:

A.Run out of eligibility (darn JUCOS only get 2 years)
B.Flunked out of school
C.Been run off campus for varying degrees of thuggery.

I agree with others that Brewster by and large has brought in better athletes than Mason. That's shown up in our improved defense. But you're committing one of the cardinal sins of looking at data, which is to extrapolate past your last point. To make a pollyanna statement that the future is bright ignores much of reality (I know someone will give me a lecture on optimism). But bottom line, blue chip recruits want to play for a winner. Its a chicken/egg dilemma. If we only win 4 or 5 games this year I don't see how this recruiting class will be significantly better than the preceding two, if not worse. One can always hope, though.

You are right, you can't really predict how recruiting will go.

However, the current recruiting season began this past February......and we're not doing that well so far. Remember, once the season begins, the amount of time spent on recruiting is reduced greatly.

Wait until Brew's football camp is over before deciding on how things are going. We have a lot of offers out there and many of them will be here for camp. If camp is over and we're still sitting at one commitment, then I would start to worry.

Wait until Brew's football camp is over before deciding on how things are going. We have a lot of offers out there and many of them will be here for camp. If camp is over and we're still sitting at one commitment, then I would start to worry.

ummmmmm, if a big-time prospect has a stack of offers in hand, he typically does NOT attend summer camp. And if he would be at camp, it would be in street clothes...to watch.;)

ummmmmm, if a big-time prospect has a stack of offers in hand, he typically does NOT attend summer camp. And if he would be at camp, it would be in street clothes...to watch.;)

True, but big-time prospects don't typically commit in summer either. Many kids with "stacks of offers" visit unofficially during summer camps, not to workout, but to see the campus, facilities and meet with the coaches. Anyway, I never implied 'big-time' recruits would be commiting at camp. Another non sequitur from Conference Chump.

True, but big-time prospects don't typically commit in summer either. Many kids with "stacks of offers" visit unofficially during summer camps, not to workout, but to see the campus, facilities and meet with the coaches. Anyway, I never implied 'big-time' recruits would be commiting at camp. Another non sequitur from Conference Chump.

There you go again, gophmeister...layin' the Latin on me...;)

You say you never implied big-time recruits would be committing at camp.:confused:

Well...what exactly were you implying a few posts ago (above)?

Who were you thinking might commit at camp time to prevent you from worrying about this recruiting class? :p

Is there a confirmed or atleast a tentative summer camp visitor list that you have seen?

Yup, but we don't show it to trolls.

Or maybe it might show that very few of the top guys are considering Minnesota. When this is factored in along with the continued decline of Brewster's classes it might show that he isn't as great of a recruiter as you believe.

Or maybe it might show that very few of the top guys are considering Minnesota. When this is factored in along with the continued decline of Brewster's classes it might show that he isn't as great of a recruiter as you believe.

Good job admitting that you are a troll.

Good job admitting that you are a troll.

Come on Mr. Academic, I would expect better reading comprehension from you. Not a troll, just think that if Brewster cannot be the star recruiter he was billed as then the gophers are in trouble because he brings little else to the table. Granted it is still early but the recruiting does not look good so far, even Indiana has multiple commits with atleast one on the Rivals 250 list.

Come on Mr. Academic, I would expect better reading comprehension from you. Not a troll, just think that if Brewster cannot be the star recruiter he was billed as then the gophers are in trouble because he brings little else to the table. Granted it is still early but the recruiting does not look good so far, even Indiana has multiple commits with atleast one on the Rivals 250 list.

It has nothing to do with the content of your post. Just the fact that SG said "we don't show it to trolls", and then you were (defensively) the first one to respond. Interesting.

It has nothing to do with the content of your post. Just the fact that SG said "we don't show it to trolls", and then you were (defensively) the first one to respond. Interesting.

Is it possible I responded because I was th only one that asked for the list so he was clearly responding to me.

I admit I'm a bit confused as to camps. Don't all players interested in a further advancing their football career go to camps to not only to show coaches that they are interested in the program perhaps, but also to learn something to become a better player regardless of the "star ranking" player they are?

I admit I'm a bit confused as to camps. Don't all players interested in a further advancing their football career go to camps to not only to show coaches that they are interested in the program perhaps, but also to learn something to become a better player regardless of the "star ranking" player they are?

No, they don't do either of these things

There you go again, gophmeister...layin' the Latin on me...;)

You say you never implied big-time recruits would be committing at camp.:confused:

Well...what exactly were you implying a few posts ago (above)?

Who were you thinking might commit at camp time to prevent you from worrying about this recruiting class? :p

Exactly what I said, which was don't decide recruiting is off to a bad start until the benchmark of summer camp is passed and we don't have any new commitments. I did not imply anything beyong that, you merely inferred that I did. I guess you're too stupid to understand a basic sentence in English without completely misinterpreting it, so I will refrain from using Latin words or any that may confuse a halfwit such as yourself.

Exactly what I said, which was don't decide recruiting is off to a bad start until the benchmark of summer camp is passed and we don't have any new commitments. I did not imply anything beyong that, you merely inferred that I did. I guess you're too stupid to understand a basic sentence in English without completely misinterpreting it, so I will refrain from using Latin words or any that may confuse a halfwit such as yourself.

+1 oh snap

You are both a troll and a tool and your hatred for the Gophers blinds you to reality. Why are you even here?

You are both a troll and a tool and your hatred for the Gophers blinds you to reality. Why are you even here?

You want to talk to me about reality, the same guy that guarantees players to come here only to be wrong. I am here to talk the gophers and unlike you I don't feel like wasting another 5 years waiting for the train wreck of the Brewster and Maturi regime to come to a close. After all, I think that 40 years is long enough and why waste time waiting for the inevitable to happen, imo. You can say that I am too harsh or in your opinion unfair to Brewster but the one thing that I am not is unfair towards the players. I don't take regular shots at them unlike you, whose opinions are strictly guided by how many stars some analyst in Florida assigns to them. My feelings are that Brewster was billed as this great recruiter but learning how to be a coach, well if his recruiting well has dried up then what is left? From my perspective, the gophers got one good recruiting class out of Brewster and several of the players from the class never made it here or were dismissed and now his recruiting appears to be in a downward slide.

Due to the fact that the offense had it share of problems last year, it obviously was a reflection of our season. As a result we lost some recruits due to the results. This year with our new coordinator, stronger players, confidence among the players, it is my belief that the program will be stronger as a whole. Due to that the recruiting will jell as the season moves along and will pick up players that perhaps were committed elsewhere early on in the recruiting process.
I don't think we can predict nor should we how the recruiting season will go. I believe in Brewster and he will get the most out of his players in the long run who will take the time to work out hard. Ratings don't always mean that much. Patience folks. We've been in a "hole" for a long time, and rebuilding a team doesn't happen over night. Go Gophers!

Rating don't mean much when you aren't rated. Very convenient....

+1

I always assumed it was like hockey camp when you're a kid. You go there to improve you skills in between seasons. If not, how do players develop? I don't mean to sound naive but I don't have kids and graduated fom high school in '87 so I honestly don't know.

Top Bottom