Default I'm Heading to China

Who knew? It was sure a surprise to me when I found out. I've been on sabbatical from the gopherhole for a few months now. No more posting and getting into political debates with bga1! I'm wondering if anyone here has been to China and knows the situation with watching sports? Are there American bars that are open at the wee hours of the morning for this? I'm mostly concerned that I won't be able to watch the Twins win the world series out there...

Oh, and btw, I'm heading to Nanjing (should be an hour from Shanghai after this summer) and will be teaching at the university out there. Any tips, connections, or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Default re: China Tip

Don't speak out against the government or human right abuses or you'll find youself in jail or shot.

Quote Originally Posted by kramer View Post
    Who knew? It was sure a surprise to me when I found out. I've been on sabbatical from the gopherhole for a few months now. No more posting and getting into political debates with bga1! I'm wondering if anyone here has been to China and knows the situation with watching sports? Are there American bars that are open at the wee hours of the morning for this? I'm mostly concerned that I won't be able to watch the Twins win the world series out there...

Oh, and btw, I'm heading to Nanjing (should be an hour from Shanghai after this summer) and will be teaching at the university out there. Any tips, connections, or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.
    Good for you! May God bless you and keep you safe during your time in China. It should be very interesting indeed.

I had a blast in China (two weeks). The people love to practice their English with you if you have the patience... Can't help you with the sports watching part, but I'm assuming there are many places that cater to sports fans of all kinds. Explore as much as you can is my advice. We hired a driver and a guide that wasn't attached to a tour. Cheap and very helpful. The guide was able to jump us ahead of all lines that people on tours had to wait in. The driver was able to go where we wanted him to go. In other words: Tours = bad. Driver = good. Have fun. China is a trip for sure.
    Aloha Mr. Hand