Something Interesting

Boondoggle

Reaction score
I found out something yesterday I never knew before. I didn't know that Bob Stoops was seriously considering Minnesota. There was something else that he came up here and would have been hired, but there wasn't someone in charge at the time. He apparently would have taken the job, but he turned it down because he felt there was a lack of organization.

Also, I heard that Hayden Fry had told him that you can't cheat at Minnesota like you can at most other universities.

From what I remember, Stoops was probably the U's first choice to replace Wacker. However, given how much disarray our program was in 1996, there was never a chance Stoops was going to take the job. He probably only interviewed with us so he could gain experience for when a better job came his way, which it did only a couple years later.

Stoops did not take the Minnesota job because he thought he would be a prime candidate for the Iowa job, which he knew would come open a year or two later. He knew Hayden was getting close to retirement. Stoops wanted the Iowa job. Oklahoma came calling instead and Iowa waited around too long and ended up with Ferentz. If Hayden Fry would have been 58 instead of 68, there's a good chance we would have gotten Stoops (had we chosen to offer it to him).

The Sports Reporters

I found out something yesterday I never knew before. I didn't know that Bob Stoops was seriously considering Minnesota. There was something else that he came up here and would have been hired, but there wasn't someone in charge at the time. He apparently would have taken the job, but he turned it down because he felt there was a lack of organization.

Also, I heard that Hayden Fry had told him that you can't cheat at Minnesota like you can at most other universities.

I'm assuming you heard that from Sid on the Sports Reporters last night. Based on the Hayden Fry comment, you know Sid was making it up - mich like a lot of stuff he says. He also called James Laurenitis an "OK" player and also said the Big Ten is down in basketball this year.

Laurenitis is an "ok" player. If we are honest, the rest of the OSU defense has something to do with his accolades. If he's playing at Temple his career looks a lot different.

Sid also failed to mention that Stoops dropped his wife off at the Mall Of America to shop and according to some University Officials, didn't seem to be very "focused" or even interested in those taxing /I] interviews he was put through.

Spurrier was quoted as saying that Stoops should hold out for a better job. It turned out to be no more then a paid shopping trip for Mrs. Stoops...

Sid also failed to mention that Stoops dropped his wife off at the Mall Of America to shop and according to some University Officials, didn't seem to be very "focused" or even interested in those taxing /I] interviews he was put through.

Spurrier was quoted as saying that Stoops should hold out for a better job. It turned out to be no more then a paid shooping trip for Mrs. Stoops...

I had also heard that during the interview Stoops was asked why the University of Minnesota should hire him and he immediately responded with something to the effect of "the question should be why should I consider the University of Minnesota."

Laurenitis is an "ok" player. If we are honest, the rest of the OSU defense has something to do with his accolades. If he's playing at Temple his career looks a lot different.

and so does your namesake/moniker if he had played at Temple behind their o-line. Couldn't you say that about everyone? What if Sam Bradford played for Indiana?

I had also heard that during the interview Stoops was asked why the University of Minnesota should hire him and he immediately responded with something to the effect of "the question should be why should I consider the University of Minnesota."

The story Iceland12 mentioned about Stoops not being interested and mostly coming so his wife could shop at MOA is something I've heard several times in the media, including from Sid. I have heard the "why should I consider the University of Minnesota" quote attributed to Glen Mason several times after he interviewed here the first time (to replace Gutey).

The story Iceland12 mentioned about Stoops not being interested and mostly coming so his wife could shop at MOA is something I've heard several times in the media, including from Sid. I have heard the "why should I consider the University of Minnesota" quote attributed to Glen Mason several times after he interviewed here the first time (to replace Gutey).

Mason was upset when he found out that there was a search committee and he couldn't be told that he could have the job if he wanted it . He then pulled his name out of consideration.

When he did get the job it was simply offered to him.

Stoops left early...

He was supposed to attend an event at the Governor's Mansion in the evening, but, with wife and Mall of the America purchases, skipped town.

Stoops was not interested in the Iowa job. It was a big deal when Fry retired and the Hawk fans were hoping Stoops would come back as he was currently the hot assistant coach at UF, but he was not interested in the position. There was a lot of hand wringing when they ended up with Ferentz and even more when his first couple years did not go well.

Top Bottom