Myron discusses pro prospects of RS3, Devoe, Trevor and Rodney

BleedGopher

Reaction score
from Myron's latest blog:

For the first time in Tubby Smith's tenure at Minnesota, the Gophers might have a few players who will consider their pro options before graduation.

Ralph Sampson III has the height, the skill set and pedigree to play at the next level. We're all waiting, however, for him to put it all together and add a little aggressiveness to his game so he can fulfill his potential. A big year by Sampson will certainly get the scouts talking even more than they are now. Plus, consider guys like Hassan Whiteside, Jerome Jordan and even, Cole Aldrich. The year before they hit the NBA radar, few knew much about them. It doesn't take much for a big man to raise his draft stock.

If Devoe Joseph adds some muscle to his frame and builds on his All-Tournament worthy performance in March's Big Ten tournament, he'll have a shot at the next level. Down the stretch, Joseph ran the team. I think he's a point at the next level, if he gets there. And I think the Gophers will play him at point guard next season, too. He needs to be consistent. But he has raw skills that were on display during that magical run in the Big Ten tourney. He's not there yet, but he could be the next Big Ten guard to land on the NBA map.

Rodney Williams should be a different player next season. During a short stretch his freshman year, he lived up to the premature hype about his pro potential. He was a top-5 pick on nbadraft.net's 2011 mock draft at the start of the season. But he struggled throughout the year and didn't play much during the Big Ten season. He should've redshirted. But when he was on the floor, he pulled off some above-the-rim maneuvers that are hard to describe. He needs to prove that he can handle the ball, hit a 15-foot jump shot and defend on the perimeter. But he has all the makings of a poor man's Wesley Johnson. If he cracks the starting rotation, a possibility with Minnesota's lack of depth at small forward, and plays well during the Big Ten season, Williams will move up on a lot of real NBA draft boards.

Different people say different things about Trevor Mbakwe. A few days after he signed with the Gophers in 2009, he told me that he'd already talked to Tubby Smith about going pro after his junior season. Legal issues prevented him from playing last year and they might keep him off the floor next season, too, depending on the outcome of his trial in June. One person close to the program told me that he doesn't think Mbakwe will start for the team. Others think he'll lead the Gophers to big victories over their toughest opponents. The 6-8, 240-pound forward certainly has an NBA frame. If he showcases pro-level skills next year, he'll get NBA looks, too.

Save the emails. I'm not saying that Williams, Joseph, Sampson and Mbakwe will all go pro after next season. But they might have a shot at the next level, depending on their performances next season. They have the building blocks for pro careers like a lot of young prospects.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Go Gophers!!

It's not about just getting stronger for Devoe. He's got to become a point guard (not an easy thing to do) and prove that he can get to the rim against Big Ten competition. Until Devoe shows that he can blow by guys at this level for layups, he's not an NBA prospect.

Cold Aldrich has been on the NBA radar for a long time, so I am not sure where Myron was going with that reference.

I thought Ralph really improve they way he ran the court as a Sophomore, but he's got to get so much stronger to even be considered for the NBA. Trevor has only played a full season once in the past 3 years and that was JUCO ball, I am not sure anybody has a real idea of where he stands right now.

Rodney's a great athlete, but he's got to become a basketball player: shooting, ballhandling, and passing all have to improve significantly.

Myron needs to be reassigned in the off season. Article could just as well have been about me: "Swede has the potential to play at the next level, all he needs to do is add 10", bulk, and skill. If he can add those features and put it all together, he could get looks."

Myron needs to be reassigned in the off season. Article could just as well have been about me: "Swede has the potential to play at the next level, all he needs to do is add 10", bulk, and skill. If he can add those features and put it all together, he could get looks."
x2.

"A big year by Sampson will certainly get the scouts talking even more than they are now." That implies that scouts are talking a lot about Sampson. I find that hard to believe.

I don't understand why Rodney should've redshirted. Players need game experience. With his world class athleticism and good length, do we really think that he would stick around for 5 years?

Doesn't sound too crazy to me.

Kevin Burleson and John Thomas played in the NBA. By that standard, Devoe and Ralph playing in the NMA (National Marketing Association) doesn't sound that odd. When I lived in Florida there was a player who played for Okaloosa Walton Community College named Kedrick Brown. Very Similar to Rodney, freakishly athletic but raw. He was a first round pick (top 15 I think) of the Boston Celtics straight out of JUCO.

Man, you guys are harsh. I think the "discussion" by Myron was reasonable. Seen a lot worse on this message board, that's for sure. "Save the emails"; I know Myron gets paid.

Top Bottom