Seantrel Henderson

he's only 16! the only way i like our chances is if he really wants to play basketball, otherwise i see this as another #1 minnesota highschool talent getting away.

If I were to guess the 100 ping pong balls in the Seantrel Henderson lotto, I would say:

USC- 40 balls
Ohio State- 30
Notre Dame- 29
Minnesota- 1

I could be wrong but my guess for his final 3 are Minnesota, Notre Dame, and USC with OSU being #4. Minnesota is in his top 5 and nobody knows anything more than that. He'll give us a chance to recruit him but it will be an uphill battle.

His dad said a long time ago that they liked USC and were waiting on an offer from them. The wild card now is whether coach Davis will make a difference.

I have a feeling we will end up in his top three, once he narrows it down to that point. In order to actually land him will come down to our performance on the field in 2009. To this point our major selling points have been based on potential (i.e. you'll be able to play early on, we have this new stadium, we're have a young coaching staff). Now I think all of those promises need to start producing results. I think we took a step forward in 2008, but 2009 will really be the barometer for what kind of program we are. We can't lose to teams that we should be able to beat (like the '08 Michigan squad), or get pounded by our rivals (like the '08 Iowa game). I think we have been able to explain those types of loses away by leaning on the inexperience of our players and getting used to the new systems and such. Brewster's been here long enough now that those types of excuses should not hold any more weight. I'm not saying Rose Bowl or bust this year, but I think anything less than 9 wins next year would be disappointing.

I agree. I think 2009 is the Barometer for where this program is going under Brewster. I think he'll still get to coach in 2010 regardless of what happens but if we take a step back in 2009 he will be on the hotseat and it will make it more difficult to recruit. Minnesota has an outside shot of recruiting a top 10-15 class next year if we can bring in the top talent of Minnesota and bring some more Dallas area recruits in (Dallas is stacked next year) but to do so we will need to show the results on the field and make it clear what direction this program is heading. If we put together an 8-10 win season and a top 15 recruiting class I don't think very many people will be doubting the direction of the program or Brewster.

... I think anything less than 9 wins next year would be disappointing.

Are you kidding? With next year's schedule, 7 wins will show an improvement with 8 wins being a big improvement. We get 9 wins next year and no one will be questioning an extension for Brewster.

I'm shocked.....

If I were to guess the 100 ping pong balls in the Seantrel Henderson lotto, I would say:

USC- 40 balls
Ohio State- 30
Notre Dame- 29
Minnesota- 1

...a negative post from Handsome Pete....I never would've guessed.

Henderson has a %50 chance at being a Gopher. He either will or he won't.

handsome pete is a negative jerk who might actually be Reusse.

It doesn't matter if he comes here or not, Brewster has done a tremendous job recruiting the state of Minnesota. Obviously, this would be a huge get for the U and Brewster, but just look at the ESPN Top 100 recruits, nearly 60% I think it was signed with a school outside of their home state.

Are you kidding? With next year's schedule, 7 wins will show an improvement with 8 wins being a big improvement. We get 9 wins next year and no one will be questioning an extension for Brewster.

Maybe 9 wins next year might be a little much, seeing as the 2009 schedule is more difficult than the 2008 schedule. Regardless I am expecting a lot more from the team next year. In 2008 I was looking for signs of improvement. From now on I'm expecting results from our team.

USC- 40 balls
Ohio State- 30
Notre Dame- 29
Minnesota- 1

I can't argue with this. I mean, come on. We just don't get top tier private school metro area talent. We just don't. Especially when it's a kid who just might be the top player in the nation for his class. I'm just curious what makes people think Seantrel will be any different? Looking back, here is how we've done on recruiting private schools in Minnesota...

Got:
08 - Shady Salamon
08 - John Nance
05 - Ned Tavale
02 - Scott Stephenson
00 - McElroy, Mark
00 - Melander, Rian
00 - Prudden, Peter
00 - Sims, Dominique *

Missed:
09 - Bryce McNeal *
08 - Mike Floyd *
08 - Joe Schafer
08 - Brendan Kelly
07 - Broderick Binns *
06 - Alexander Robinson
06 - Isaac Anderson
06 - Jordon McMichael *
06 - Matt Carufel *
06 - Kim Royston
05 - Rafael Eubanks *
04 - Brandon Robinson *
03 - Ryan Harris *
02 - John Stocco
02 - Dominique Byrd *
02 - Marcus Freeman
02 - Brandon Archer
02 - Anthony Longe
01 - Larry Fitzgerald *
01 - Mark LeVoir*
01 - Joe Mauer*
01 - Rashon Powers-Neal *
00 - T.J. Prunty *
00 - Derreck Robinson
99 - Regis Eller

This is just based on a quick glace that I just did, but this is what I came up with. I counted about 15 guys that had an impressive offer list, and only one of them, Sims, came here. And that was 9 years ago now. History is just not on our side here folks. Personally, I see no point in getting my hopes up. I've accepted the fact that he's gone, and if by some miracle Brew can keep him here, then hey, it will be a pleasant surprise.

...This is just based on a quick glace that I just did, but this is what I came up with. I counted about 15 guys that had an impressive offer list, and only one of them, Sims, came here. And that was 9 years ago now. History is just not on our side here folks. Personally, I see no point in getting my hopes up. I've accepted the fact that he's gone, and if by some miracle Brew can keep him here, then hey, it will be a pleasant surprise.

All true information but most of that analysis is under Mason so it isn't a fair analysis for our current recruiting. Any knowledgeable Gopher fan will tell you that Brewster is a better recruiter than Mason. The performance of keeping the top in-state players in Minnesota this year was much better than at any time under Mason. Our chances of keeping Henderson in state with Brewster doing the recruiting are much better than with Mason's staff and are much better than implied by your information. I'm not saying to get your hopes up because he will stay, I'm just playing devil's advocate to your information because it is not apples-to-apples with the situation.

I think it does matter if he comes here. It would be nice to have a dominating force at LT and it would instantly improve our line. Yes, Brewster has done a nice job of recruiting in-state and that is important to the future of our program but Henderson would be the cornerstone of the 2009 class if he is golden.

I can't argue with this. I mean, come on. We just don't get top tier private school metro area talent. We just don't. Especially when it's a kid who just might be the top player in the nation for his class. I'm just curious what makes people think Seantrel will be any different? Looking back, here is how we've done on recruiting private schools in Minnesota...

Got:
08 - Shady Salamon
08 - John Nance
05 - Ned Tavale
02 - Scott Stephenson
00 - McElroy, Mark
00 - Melander, Rian
00 - Prudden, Peter
00 - Sims, Dominique *

Missed:
09 - Bryce McNeal *
08 - Mike Floyd *
08 - Joe Schafer
08 - Brendan Kelly
07 - Broderick Binns *
06 - Alexander Robinson
06 - Isaac Anderson
06 - Jordon McMichael *
06 - Matt Carufel *
06 - Kim Royston
05 - Rafael Eubanks *
04 - Brandon Robinson *
03 - Ryan Harris *
02 - John Stocco
02 - Dominique Byrd *
02 - Marcus Freeman
02 - Brandon Archer
02 - Anthony Longe
01 - Larry Fitzgerald *
01 - Mark LeVoir*
01 - Joe Mauer*
01 - Rashon Powers-Neal *
00 - T.J. Prunty *
00 - Derreck Robinson
99 - Regis Eller

This is just based on a quick glace that I just did, but this is what I came up with. I counted about 15 guys that had an impressive offer list, and only one of them, Sims, came here. And that was 9 years ago now. History is just not on our side here folks. Personally, I see no point in getting my hopes up. I've accepted the fact that he's gone, and if by some miracle Brew can keep him here, then hey, it will be a pleasant surprise.

That's a nice list....by my count, that means Brew has missed on 2 players that he was seriously recruiting (McNeal and Floyd). He got a very late start on Floyd and McNeal had us in his final 2-3 teams. Why not be positive that Brewster can get hiim?

P.S. the list includes a lot of guys we didn't even heavily pursue (Eller, Prunty, Fitzgerald, Longe, Stocco, etc.)

Brewster having three years to attempt to get in there and lock Seantrel up helps, but I guess I'm under the "not getting my hopes up" group when it comes to him. Brew came in too late for Floyd. McNeal, the dude just wanted to leave, it was blatantly obvious. Getting in his top 2 or 3 was actually quite impressive. Seantrel will be Brewster's best shot in his years of getting the top Minny prospect. The competition will be tough, and it should be very interesting the next year or so.

I think Brewster got the top MN recruit this year...

Moses. I know he's a public school kid and not regarded as nation's best, but Bryce's rating vary wildly.
just what I think.

Top Bottom