New OC

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
unless there is some last second change of heart, hearing that Josh Huepel will be MN new Offensive Coordinator

I liked this article from the Dallas News circa 2000 re: Heupel

COPYRIGHT 2000 The Dallas Morning News

Byline: Sean Horgan

ABERDEEN, S.D. _ The football coach and his 6-year-old son were in the car, on their way home. The bitterness of a last-second defeat sat with them like an unwelcome passenger. As he drove, Ken Heupel found himself replaying the game in his head, fast-forwarding and rewinding, stopping and starting the images as if watching film in his darkened high school coaching office.

Night had fallen over the great northern plains and the South Dakota landscape, almost lunar in its eerie expanse, slipped by on either side of the car as Heupel and his son rode on.

"We had lost in the last second against a team that ran the `radar' style of defense," Heupel recalls, mentioning a term not used outside coaching circles.

As the journey unfolded, the little boy turned to his father.

"Dad, you know they were playing the radar," he said.

"I know they were playing radar, Josh," Coach Heupel said, knowing exactly where the conversation was headed.

A few minutes passed.

"Dad, you know the flats are open on radar," Josh said.

"Yeah, I know the flats are open on radar," Ken said.

A few more minutes passed, the father waiting for the other cleat to fall.

"Then you probably understand you only threw to the flats twice," Josh said.

Almost two decades later, Ken Heupel and his wife, Cindy, can't help but smile at the telling of the tale, can't help but laugh at the thought of their little boy offering his gentle critique.

There is a pause, and their living room slips into silence. Outside, the blue-black of dusk envelopes the neighborhood of neat, middle-class homes. The only sound is that of car tires crunching over ice patches in the street.

The Heupels have been answering questions about their now-famous son, Josh, for some time, retracing their steps over the timeline of his life.

As they sit there, perhaps they are momentarily lost in the wonder of how it has all come to this, how their boy has rocketed from this little speck on the map to quarterbacking Oklahoma within reach of the national college football championship, not to mention possibly capturing the Heisman Trophy for himself.

It appears Brewster has now made his absolute killer hires. I hope the Heupel/Davis coco's can resurrect the enemic Gopher offense.

It's our head coach and his shoot for the moon and hope for half philosophy.

I know he's trying to build excitement in our program but I think at times he needs to tone down his comments. I actually thought he was pretty good this preseason and season until we were 7-1.

If this turns out true it seems like the kind of hire we should want. I don't know what else you'd expect but my guess if you're unhappy with this your expectations were maybe a little unrealistic.

This is a GREAT hire with all the experiance

The four years as an assistant coach that Josh Heupel will bring this program is invaluable.

Way to go Brew!!!!

awesome hire!!!! the guy is a winner and hopefully he brings some of that OU offense to MN. I think the OU offense is exactly what Brew is looking to mirror. They play in the spread and under center, a good mix. hopefull we get him!!

The four years as an assistant coach that Josh Heupel will bring this program is invaluable.

Way to go Brew!!!!

I thought you were done here. I thought you said you would never post again...

Please leave and never come back you lying sack of sh*t.

what more do you clowns want? You're not going to hire some OC away from the top programs around the country. Norm Chow was never going to come here. Neither was Mike Shanahan or any of the other "BIG" names thrown around in the last few days. We we got is one of the top up and coming coaches, the guy that coached this years Heisman Trophy winner...Shut your pie holes and let the guys coach. What kind of fan rips the team on every single occasion they get? Get behind the squad or get otta here.

Heupel is on campus and when I saw him

I had a major change of heart.

This is a tremendous hire by Brew. Cut a guy some slack for making a mistake yesterday.

Can't wait to see the recruits he will bring with him that he has been recruiting. February can't come fast enough. We are going to start getting the kids that Oklahoma gets and I can't wait to see it.

The sarcasm alert alarm has been activated once again. This time the trap sensor went off along with it.

I have no considered thoughts, except that he might be a good recruiter in Minnesota living rooms.

Is he really indeed on campus? IF so I would think it's in the bag, what a homerun for Brewster, now bring in Shanahan to be consultant and we are then set, for a year at least.

Look for Shanahan to be here as well as an unpaid consultant. He's got some pro experience.

Brewster-Huepel-Davis-Shanahan

I may have preferred Major Applewhite, but this would also be a homerun hire. It might even make up for the complete disaster of the Cosgrove hire.

Don't be surprised to hear Mike Shanhan will be acting as an unpaid "Consultant" for the Gophers next season. He's got some Pro experience.

*I'm serious

Coaching is a fraternity and Shanahan has the time. So no doubt Shanahan will be involved to some degree. I'm expecting an offensive transformation if this hire turns out for real, although I'm sure not as quickly as many would expect.

Heupel has been offered the job so we're just waiting on his decision. He would be a great hire as he has already mentored two Heisman winning quarterbacks at Oklahoma.

Oklahoma's passing game is a hybrid of the Spread and West Coast so expect Heupel to bring a version of the Spread Coast offense to Minnesota if he comes. Considering Dunbar was running his own version of a Spread Coast offense it should be a relatively easy transition for the players with similar terminology and reads. We have already been recruiting the players to play in this type of a system for the last two years so the adjustment won't be as difficult as 2007.

Davis was announced as the running game coordinator when he joined and he and Brewster favor a power running game. This is not too different than power running wrinkle Oklahoma has within their offense so my guess is Heupel should be very familiar with the philosophies and it won't be hard to implement the overall game plan with Davis/Heupel.

I'd be very happy with a Huepel hire. Shanahan helping out wouldn't hurt matters either.

Where is this Shanahan speculation coming from? What did i miss?

thanks

GO Gophers!!

I can't remember either, but I did see it in a couple of spots of jounalistic origin. Plus it makes sense, he has the time, Brew brought him in last year during spring to address the team. I don't think anyone's saying he's joining the staff or anything.

I Hope It's Heupel

Heupel has been offered the job so we're just waiting on his decision. He would be a great hire as he has already mentored two Heisman winning quarterbacks at Oklahoma.

If Heupel accepts the job, this is definitely a "killer shot" of a hiring by Brew. Although Heupel has not yet been an OC, he has been the QB coach at Oklahoma and directly coached the current Heisman winner (Sam Bradford). He has been part of a program that wins regularly in one of the toughest conferences in the country, so he knows what it takes to win. We need proven winners as coaches, and Heupel fits that description well.

The OU program also recruits VERY well, so he knows what it takes to bring in big time prospects. According to Rivals, here are the rankings of each recruiting class since Heupel has been at OU:

2005 - 3rd (5*- 2, 4*- 14, 3*- 10) = 26
2006 - 9th (5*- 1, 4*- 13, 3*- 14) = 28
2007 - 14th (5*- 1, 4*- 9, 3*- 8) = 18 (given credit for 1 4* commit)
2008 - 6th (5*- 3, 4*- 12, 3*- 5) = 21 (given credit for 2 4* commits)
2009 - 10th (5*- 1, 4*- 8, 3*-13) = 22 (given credit for 1 4* and 2 3* commits)

I don't know what kind of recruiter Heupel would be as OC for the MN. However, since 2007 he's been able to convince 4 4* athletes to commit to OU as their QB coach (including one LB prospect). I know that MN isn't OU, but Brew & Co have shown that they can bring in good talent to MN, so there's no reason to think that Heupel couldn't continue to do the same here.

Also, as GrunkieJr stated, the offense that Oklahoma runs is similar to what it seems that Brew wants to employ -- Spread Coast with power running wrinkles. Heupel has experience teaching the QB position in that style of offense, which could only help Weber, Gray, Alipate, etc. learn and grow. He also was a successful QB in his own right, which means he can mentor as well as coach the QBs.

Add to that the possibility that Mike Shannahan may be hanging out lending both added expertise and credibility to our program (whatever role he might take on), and I'm excited about the possibilities.

Josh Heupel --- COME TO MINNESOTA! :)

Go Gophers!!!

<Josh Heupel --- COME TO MINNESOTA! >

I think it's pretty close to done deal.

Where is this Shanahan speculation coming from? What did i miss?

thanks

GO Gophers!!

It has been stated over on GI that Shanahan is going to serve as an advisor/consultant to Brewster. The arrangement is a little unclear but it seems likely that he will be here for spring practice.

Top Bottom