So who makes the calls with our new Co-D coordinators?

Stoodabaker

Reaction score
Ive never seen this in sports before and am confused how it can work. What if one wants to blitz and the other drop 8 men back in coverage....who has the final say?

not sure, but Oklahoma had co-coordinators on offense this year so I guess it can work.

I think I read somewhere that Cosgrove will call the games.

LSU had co-defensive coordinators this year.

From Kent's blog on the star tribune:

He should work well with Ronnie Lee; the two were on the same staff in Wisconsin in 2003. While they share co-coordinator duties, Brewster said Cosgrove will be calling the defense during games.

Brewster said major modifications will not be in the works for the defense. That means Cosgrove will tweak it to fit his ideas, not overhaul it in a way that would keep kids’ heads spinning over spring practice and fall camp.

Brewster said major modifications will not be in the works for the defense. That means Cosgrove will tweak it to fit his ideas, not overhaul it in a way that would keep kids’ heads spinning over spring practice and fall camp.

This is what I've been waiting to hear. Not in the sense that we gave up 37 points per game over the last five and we should continue down that path, but in the sense that less thinking about schemes means faster playing.

I think there are things to be concerned with about this hire, but having two coordinators shouldn't be one of them. Many teams have that setup. Florida had it when it won the national title two years ago. LSU has had it. Oklahoma has had it. I think even Ohio State had it for awhile.

The bigger concern is whether the two guys can actually do the job. I hope they can. We'll find out, obviously.

Continuity = Good

This bodes well for the continuity people have been clamoring for. If the above is true, the defensive system will stay essentially the same, with some minor tweaks and adjustments by Cosgrove. My guess is that Roof would have made some tweaks in year two, anyway, based on what worked (and what didn't) this year, and the strengths of the new players who will be likely contributors on D (Maresh, Reeves, Cooper, Paige, etc.).

Now, a certain number of people on this board mock the idea of co-coordinators. However, if consistently successful programs such as LSU and Oklahoma use co-coordinators, then I'm willing to give it a shot.

My guess is that Cosgrove and Lee will work together to come up with the game plan, and then share the teaching and coaching during practice. Cosgrove makes the calls during the game, with Lee watching and learning, and providing input on the sidelines and in the film room. This gives Lee a chance to be a major contributor to the defense, and get himself groomed to probably take over the DC job down the road.

Go Gophers!!!

Top Bottom