The OFFICIAL "I'll get behind Cosgrove" thread

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
What's done is done. Now is the time to get behind Cosgrove. I am offically a fan of Cosgrove as of today because he is the Co-Defensive Coordinator of my beloved Gophers. I will be a fan of his until any poor on-the-field playcalling requires me to reevaluate otherwise.

Kevin Cosgrove - Welcome to Minnesota. I'm glad you're here.

Go Gophers. RAH.

Make room on the ship for me. Obviously the guy has some talent to have made it to the level he has.

We've seen what he can do at other places. Now it's time to see what he can do here. I'm gonna give him a shot, as I think all folks deserve a shot.

I'm on board. I dont seem to understand why people hate this guy?

I'm on board. Everyone should take a wait and see approach. Good luck and welcome to the University of Minnesota. Go Gophers!!

I'll get on board. I like the mentor idea. (I'm resisting saying I'll get behind him, like all the other teams got behind his defense while scoring).

I second everyone on here. Lets roll with what we have! Congrats coach Lee! :D

While I'm not willing to simply say, "Brewster knows best," he knows a heck of a lot more about Cosgrove (and other potential candidates) than I do. It's his career on the line. I don't believe for one second he would hire a guy he knows is second-rate (or worse) just because they're friends. I think Brewster truly believes Cosgrove is the best he could get for this job, all things considered. He may be wrong. But none of us can be sure of that today.

Welcome to Minnesota, Kevin!

I'm in. This guy has a resume a mile-long. People are acting like we're USC and just lost Jesus Christ as a defensive coordinator...so we better get God to replace him. Our defenses have been atrocious for years and we haven't had a nationally known, legitimate coordinator other than Roof since I've been a fan. Roof was good, but his defense can't be considered "good"; "improved," certainly, but they constantly FEASTED on turnovers this year--some of which were luck.

Anyway, I wish coach Cosgrove luck in turning this thing around.

I'm on board

I'm on board! Cosgrove has enjoyed some great seasons as well as some disappointing years in the won-loss column. It's called coaching, which goes with the territory.

Some are pining for Ted Roof (a coach I also supported). However, his record, especially the last four games, was not spectacular (the Gophers gave up 29, 35, 55, and 42 points respectively). And for his efforts, Gene Chizik lured him away and doubled his salary. Life goes on.

I really don't care what the fan bases in Huskerland or Badgerland think of the hire. I want Cosgrove to be successful in recruiting, preparation, game day adustments and general Xs and Os. Again, he's been successful in the past and hopefully will again. As the financial advisors say, past performance is not a guarantee for future performances.

It's strange how fans can quickly forget the successes of a coach. Bernie Bierman, Minnesota's Hall of Fame coach and winner of five national championship seasons, had an overall record of 137-53-9 (Minnesota record 93-36-6). His last season was a disaster, however: 1-7-1 after going 7-2 the previous two seasons. All the fickled fans remembered was the 1-7-1 season, as they all-knowingly chanted "Good-bye Bernie."

Welcome aboard, Kevin and good luck!

Go Gophers!!

I'm not going to say it was a great hire or anything yet but I think we should give him a chance first. It amazes me how a few have just blasted him like he has had no success at all.

If this is Brew's guy, then I'll roll with it until Cosgrove shows himself to be incompetent. We'll have more talent and depth next year so there's no excuse not to play better D in 2009. If the two-head DC finds a way to get consistent pressure on the QB, I think we'll all be happy.

Congrat's to Lee, btw. I wonder what the reaction would have been if Lee was named the sole DC?

I'm skeptical

I think the reason he was hired is because he was readily available, won't leave for another job and would accept a co-coordinators position. I think Brewster was impatient in this hire. I want to hear some explanation for his last dismal year at Nebraska. Until then and until he proves he can build a defense at MN I will be very sceptical.

I like it. I think Cos is solid and should stabilize the D for a few years. I'm more concerned about the O right now and am glad they took the safe route on D with Cosgrove. If we were set on O I'd be looking for a more risky high reward hire, but that's not where we are at. Given that, I think Cosgrove is a great choice. Welcome aboard.

All we have to do is give him a chance. Give him some good recruits and have the offense hold onto the ball and watch him do a fine job. Let's go Gophers...

I support him. The guy has had what, 6 hours as our choice? I'm not jumping ship.

I feel like people are disappointed we didn't get Bill Belichick as our D-coordinator. I think we need to face the reality that right now, MN is a low tier Big Ten school. I think getting a guy who was a D-coordinator at successful programs in the Big 10 and Big 12 is actually half decent. Granted, he laid a big egg at the end of last year...but haven't our last two coordinators done the same thing?

I think Brew is turning this ship in the right direction. Maybe in a few years if Cosgrove wants to move on/retire, we can make a splashier hire. We simply don't have the appeal yet to make a big name hire.

Fans support the team. I am a fan. There is no question that I will support him.

I will support him AND Lee. Both will be equally important/detrimental to our D next year. Who gets the credit when we improve next year?

I am a Brewster fan...

every since he played at Illinois. However, anyone who knows Brewster knows that he is not an easy man to work for. Cosgrove was at Illinois when Brewster played, so he will know exactly what he is getting into. Don't get me wrong, I think Brewster is a good coach, but you will have assistant coaches come and go at a fairly high rate as long as he is there. imo

Of course, that is also part of the job. Illinois lost Locksley to a head coaching job, Simms was let go, and Wolford took a job with his best friend in South Carolina. The only thing you can do is try to get replacements who are better than the coaches who left.

I am on board as well. Brewster knows he needs to get the best man available for the job and I am 1000000% confident Brewster knows more than I do as to who that person is. So I will support this hire until I see evidence on the field to the contrary. Welcome to Kevin and Congrats to Ronnie. GO GOPHERS!!!!

Cosgrove has a tough job and shadows his boss in that category. Elevating Gopher football to a win big and often status will be a long and ardous task. Cosgrove's Badger squads averaged 21 ppg over 14 years. I will take that in a hearbeat in 09 although I don't expect it.

Lets check in with each other in a couple of years and see how Brewster, Cosgrove/Lee and the incoming OC/ Davis are progressing.

Move on over boys. I need to get my behind on board as well. With the increasing talent level it will be interesting to see how our defense progresses.

What's done is done. Now is the time to get behind Cosgrove. I am offically a fan of Cosgrove as of today because he is the Co-Defensive Coordinator of my beloved Gophers. I will be a fan of his until any poor on-the-field playcalling requires me to reevaluate otherwise.

Kevin Cosgrove - Welcome to Minnesota. I'm glad you're here.

Go Gophers. RAH.

Reporting for duty. Love the decision to promote Ronnie Lee- a man who has earned his stripes on the recruiting field. I wish there were coordinator positions for Cross, Hammock, McDonald and Lewis.

Wasn't too excited about Cosgrove at first but it's time to let the man reclaim his career. Those Nebraska teams were a complete F-ing disaster and Cosgrove was not the primary culprit.

It's time to put our heads down and charge forward people. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the coaching staff Coach Cosgrove!

Lets build this D

Remove his record at Nebraska, give no weight

When Barry left, and he named Brat the new head coach the assistants scrambled. And who wouldn't think coaching at Nebraska could be that bad? Heck they were 9-2. You are taking over the Blackshirts! One little problem The AD Peterson and Coach Callahan were blowing up Husker football. They didn't need the tradition, the pride in performance. Blackshirts, come on. How silly is that. They didn't need many of the people who built the program, they had all the answers. THE STRENGTH AND CONIDITONING Coach, the man who made it a profession, was the Power behing Huskerpower, and regarded as the best, Boyd Epply was let go in favor of a Callahan clone. The power running game was outdated, old fashion, with Callahan it was West Coast short passing game. Callahan furter alienated the state when he made the pronouncement that they would recruit nationally inferring the local talent the storied walkon program just couldn't get it done. And that they had not recruited nationally in the past. The transition was rough, the offense became inconsistent at best, ineffective at worst and put the defense back on the field. Where have we heard that before? Add to that the comming of the Big 12 as a passing, spread offense league. Stoops was now at Oklhoma and Texas Tech, Kansas, became powers seemingly overnight, while Texas had Vince Young. There were some bad memories of Husker beat downs in the Big 8 festering. And when those scoreboards started lighting up there was trouble in Lincoln. Callahan needed time, left Cosgrove swinging in the breeze, and West Coast never found traction.
I cannot fault Cosgrove, he didn't quit. It was a untenable job, and it was Callahan's fault.

Just a quick note. There was one coach Callahan let go that is doing pretty well. Turner Gill was the Offensive Coordinator. He didn't need him.

Count me in, I'm willing to give him a clean slate.

Missing the real point

I don't think it matters what disgruntled Nebraska fans thought of him after a terrible year. That is part of sports and part of coaching - especially in markets where there are high expectation. Everyone wants to do great every year - and in teams sports that is not likely. There are an equal number of W's and L's to go around.

What I would be more interested in is - how did former players like playing for him? Both at Nebraska and more importantly at Wisconsin. Is he a player's coach.

There has been very little discussion of that - and it is to me a much more important issue.

Top Bottom