Gopher parking survey

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
I received a parking survey via email. Looks like they are doing some planning for both on/off campus parking and also bus/rapid transit parking areas. Busing from areas like Maplewood Mall is being considered. And also considering TCF pregame arrival and past game departure timing as well.

Not sure if it is relevant...

but I made sure to tell them that their tailgating situation for next year is less than appealing. I doubt it will make it to the right people, but I made sure to include it.

Great, now I can kill two birds with one stone. Maplewood Mall. WTF!

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little saturday, we're um, we're gonna go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed Bath And Beyond, I don't know. I Don't know if we'll have enough time."

Frank_the_Tank_Experience.jpg

I received a parking survey via email. Looks like they are doing some planning for both on/off campus parking and also bus/rapid transit parking areas. Busing from areas like Maplewood Mall is being considered. And also considering TCF pregame arrival and past game departure timing as well.

Who wouldn't want to pay 6 bucks for a round trip 30+ minute park and ride to the stadium?

Seriously. Everything is a money-maker for them.

Park and Ride should be free for all the money it is bringing in to campus.

They are thinking of charging to park somewhere like the Fairgrounds?

I'll find somewhere on campus first even if it costs a little more.

$6.00 seems a fair deal.I would very much use this convenience.

Who wouldn't want to pay 6 bucks for a round trip 30+ minute park and ride to the stadium?

Seriously. Everything is a money-maker for them.

Park and Ride should be free for all the money it is bringing in to campus.

Translation: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I wonder why a coach would leave Minnesota for Auburn. Maybe because they have 10 times the football budget as the U?

Translation: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I wonder why a coach would leave Minnesota for Auburn. Maybe because they have 10 times the football budget as the U?

YOUR RIGHT! It will buy us a better coordinator!

Since they are charging me to get a bus ride to the game, and charging me for my tickets, and my ticket location, and my soda and food.... and my clothing...

Maybe we need some more revenue streams to keep up with the Auburn's of the world. Charge for sidewalks is one I can think of. Can we charge people to drive down Washington? Put a little game day toll both as they drive to parking? I also think the parking fees on campus should be per person. Because if a family wants to take the bus, they will surely pay 6 per person. I would say parking on campus should be no less than 10 a head. Anyone else?

Everyone put there ideas for new revenue streams, and I will compile a list.

YOUR RIGHT! It will buy us a better coordinator!

Since they are charging me to get a bus ride to the game, and charging me for my tickets, and my ticket location, and my soda and food.... and my clothing...

Maybe we need some more revenue streams to keep up with the Auburn's of the world. Charge for sidewalks is one I can think of. Can we charge people to drive down Washington? Put a little game day toll both as they drive to parking? I also think the parking fees on campus should be per person. Because if a family wants to take the bus, they will surely pay 6 per person. I would say parking on campus should be no less than 10 a head. Anyone else?

Everyone put there ideas for new revenue streams, and I will compile a list.

Don't go to the game. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Same old, same old....we want to compete with Michigan and Ohio State, but want to do it with a fraction of their football budgets. Recipe for success right there.

The AD likely won't get the money from the $6 for park and ride. These buses won't be campus buses, and Metro Transit is not a charity organization. The $6 price is no different than taking the LRT to the Metrodome for a game. I believe they have already said free shuttle service (campus buses) will be used from the Fairgrounds to the stadium from parking over there, these park and rides are being organized for people who don't want to deal with gameday traffic/parking and the lots are probably not geared toward the tailgating crowd.

Don't go to the game. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Same old, same old....we want to compete with Michigan and Ohio State, but want to do it with a fraction of their football budgets. Recipe for success right there.

Just give me the top 5 reasons why those programs have the football budgets.

I am sure in that top 5 list it won't be because they charge their fans for more things.

1) Tradition
2) Tradition of winning
3) Talent base
4) Fan Base
5) Playing for Championships

I would not even put coaching in that list, because without the top 4, you don't get the coach.

If Minnesota had the ability to bring in 100,000 fans a game, we wouldn't have built a 50,000 seat stadium. But we can't. 100,000 fans brings in double the money that 50,000 fans do. Period. Why can't we bring in those fans? Because we can't win the big game at home. Is that a coaching issue? Is that a talent issue? What is it?

It is not a money issue. Money does not turn one program into Michigan, Ohio State, Auburn. You can have all the money in the world and that will get you to the level of Oregon and Ok State. Two teams that are still not Oklahoma, Texas, nor are they USC.

It starts with connecting to your community and fans, and bringing in up and coming coaches that are willing to work hard and recruit. We can build facilities that compete, but in the end we will never be those other programs.

Taxing your fans every chance you get is not the answer.

There is a reason Brewster is preaching tradition.

Just give me the top 5 reasons why those programs have the football budgets.

I am sure in that top 5 list it won't be because they charge their fans for more things.

1) Tradition
2) Tradition of winning
3) Talent base
4) Fan Base
5) Playing for Championships

I would not even put coaching in that list, because without the top 4, you don't get the coach.

If Minnesota had the ability to bring in 100,000 fans a game, we wouldn't have built a 50,000 seat stadium. But we can't. 100,000 fans brings in double the money that 50,000 fans do. Period. Why can't we bring in those fans? Because we can't win the big game at home. Is that a coaching issue? Is that a talent issue? What is it?

It is not a money issue. Money does not turn one program into Michigan, Ohio State, Auburn. You can have all the money in the world and that will get you to the level of Oregon and Ok State. Two teams that are still not Oklahoma, Texas, nor are they USC.

It starts with connecting to your community and fans, and bringing in up and coming coaches that are willing to work hard and recruit. We can build facilities that compete, but in the end we will never be those other programs.

Taxing your fans every chance you get is not the answer.

There is a reason Brewster is preaching tradition.

I'll have Maturi drive to your house on game days and pick you and your family up. Problem solved.

but I made sure to tell them that their tailgating situation for next year is less than appealing. I doubt it will make it to the right people, but I made sure to include it.

Mine response was a little more blunt. I told them a season ticket of 24 years and if there is no tailgaiting I would not be attending the games.

Mine response was a little more blunt. I told them a season ticket of 24 years and if there is no tailgaiting I would not be attending the games.

How will the U survive?

We should just stay in the Dome.

I don't get all the negative responses. They're just trying to be proactive about the parking problem. We don't know if they are even going to do this or not, they're just trying to see if it would be beneficial or not.

I gaurantee that if they don't set something like this up, people will complain that the U should have set up a park and ride because of the parking situation. People, if you don't want to bus to the game, then get up early and find a place to park or pony up to pay for a reserved spot.

Anyone who has been down to the U knows parking has always been a problem. Now add 30,000 people who normally don't park down there for a football game. The more options the better, in my opinion. Heck, if enough people take the park and ride, maybe those of us who are driving to campus can find better parking spots.

anticallihan.
Send me your $6 bus fee and I will gladly pay it for you. I will just add it to my gas bill to drive 500 miles round trip 5 or 6 times each Fall to attend football games. Plus my meals. I would guess the thousands of other loyal and faithful outstate Gopher fans would be willing to do the same for you.

On the other hand. Pay it yourself.

I took the survey and thought the $6 charge for an express bus was fine. Iowa runs a train to/from an off-site parking site and charged $10/adult. We used it last year and it was pretty slick ... the reduction in aggravation in waiting for traffic to thin out, etc was worth it, IMO.

A bus to/from the Fairgrounds would use the transit-way and be as close to non-stop as you could expect.

BTW, I wonder if the other east and north metro park and ride sites would have buses that would also get on the transit-way. If not, the hassle factor might not be as low as Fairground parking. If the dedicated transit-way isn't available (or if you're coming from the south or west) I think traffic congestion will be an issue for buses. Just look at the congestion that can occur with basketball games and a third (or so) of the cars that I'd expect for football games.

Out at Washington, King County Metro did a massive shuttle service to/from Husky Stadium on game days. Several park-and-rides around greater Seattle had service, including one a hundred yards from where I lived in Bellevue (Eastgate P&R).

Montlake Blvd. in front of HS and Hec Ed was closed to traffic from the end of the third quarter to approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of the game.

This didn't happen thisyear due to some goofy regulation from the Bush administration saying that a regional transit authority couldn't provide service like this if a private outfit was willing to, even if the private outfit wasn't physically able to.

If I miss my guess

There will be all kinds of rides to the game. I favor Jacks, but heck how many Applebees, or Majors, or Sensors, VFW's are there? And the idea of token fee to the games for a drink and a meal at said establishment has always seemed reasonable and civilized. As a member of the old school I used to favor Paul Place on Snelling? Great food, and I still remember the waitresses.

How will the U survive?

We should just stay in the Dome.

Thanks Maxiimus. I have been to almost every game since 1971. Missed two seasons. I tell the U what I think of them for not taking care of their loyal fans and you make a smart ass remark like that.

As a member of the old school I used to favor Paul Place on Snelling? Great food, and I still remember the waitresses.
Gawd, you're as ancient as dirt if you know Paul's Place. Did you have the membership?

The survey came from the U's parking admin.....
In talking with a couple of Goal line Club leaders they told me that there is a pretty good argument going around on campus as to who controls and gets the profits from gameday parking. The athletics office wants control but so does the U's parking admin. In the end I think athletics is going to be the loser and not get the revenue that they predicted and also groups like Goal Line Club are not going to be given any parking spots like they have been able to secure in previous years.

Who would have thunk that the Goal Line Club was able to negotiate parking spots downtown minneapolis with private owners of parking lots but cannot secure the same deals with actual U of M owned parking? The U of M is screwed up.

Secondly...this is a 50,000 seat stadium....these bus park and rides are going to have buses that are going to be half full at best. They are over thinking this....The state fair has more than enough parking. Are they honestly thinking that they are going to get people to pull off the road on 394 and park at a park and ride? The roads will hardly have a car on them for a 11am game....you could drive much, much closer and not have to wait for your bus.

The survey came from the U's parking admin.....
In talking with a couple of Goal line Club leaders they told me that there is a pretty good argument going around on campus as to who controls and gets the profits from gameday parking. The athletics office wants control but so does the U's parking admin. In the end I think athletics is going to be the loser and not get the revenue that they predicted and also groups like Goal Line Club are not going to be given any parking spots like they have been able to secure in previous years.

The sensible solution would be to let the Athletics Dept set the game day parking rates with the normal rate proceeds going to U Parking and Athletics keeping the difference. U Parking still runs the show and Athletics gets more revenue.

The sensible solution would be to let the Athletics Dept set the game day parking rates with the normal rate proceeds going to U Parking and Athletics keeping the difference. U Parking still runs the show and Athletics gets more revenue.

PTS will fight tooth and nail to get every drop of gameday parking. This is the same outfit that would rather make sure to get every dime out of hourly parkers on New Years Eve after the mSu game than to open the tollbooths in the half-hour after the game to get traffic moving. Too afraid that a few of the hourly parkers would sneak out.

I'm afraid the Goal Line Club will have to head for Dinkytown to get guaranteed parking spots.

Top Bottom