Two OC names to keep an eye on

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Two names that were floated to GopherHole tonight to keep an eye on are Chicago Bears WR coach, Darryl Drake. He was the WR coach at the University of Texas and the associate head coach under Mack Brown.

We are also hearing of a position coach currently coaching in tonight's national championship game.

Sounds to me a birdie over at bierman building has had enough of us talking about the wrong guys and finally threw us a bone!! I know nothing of Drake, but I'm sure we will hear all about him. Would love any assistant that is coaching on either of these great teams.

Is it possible that the DC could come from this game as well?? Wasn't the Florida D-line coach mentioned as a candidate?

Who is the coach that is in the game tonight?

In another thread when someone asked why we were waiting to announce if Brew already knew who he was gonna hire I suggested that maybe they were waiting to announce the OC or DC because he was going to be coaching tonight and these 2 names were referenced in a reply.

Josh Heupels (Oklahoma) as OC and Dan McCarney (Florida) as DC have BOTH been tossed around as possibles.

I too would be happy with any coach from these 2 teams.

He is a Heisman trophy winning QB and has coached Heisman winner Josh White and now Sam Bradford. He would be a good hire

Is it ironic that as the champ game was coming to an end GH posts a thread like this?! Maybe its wishful thinking on my part.

DARRYL
DRAKE

Darryl Drake is in his fifth season as the Bears wide receivers coach. Drake was hired on February 6, 2004 after coaching 21 seasons at the collegiate level. He came to Chicago after six seasons (1998-2003) as the receivers coach at the University of Texas, adding the title of associate head coach on Mack Brown's Longhorns staff prior to the 2003 season.

Drake’s significant experience as a collegiate tutor of wide receivers has served him well during his time with the Bears as he worked with young receiving corps in each of his first four seasons in Chicago. Throughout his tenure, Muhsin Muhammad is the only receiver with more than four years experience that Drake has opened a season with. Through that time he has helped developed such young talent at the receiver position as Mark Bradley, Rashied Davis, Devin Hester and Bernard Berrian.

In 2007, the Bears passing attack finished with the third highest yardage total in team history (3,701 gross yards). Six different players finished with over 200 receiving yards, the most for the franchise since 2000. Chicago also had six contests with 250-plus gross passing yards, most in a single season since eight in 1999.

In 2007, Drake helped transform the Bears offense into one with big-play ability. Eight different players had receptions of 25-plus yards in 2007 with Chicago producing 25 of them in the last 13 games of the regular season, tied for third-most in the NFL. Drake helped develop Hester, who was in his first year as an NFL receiver into one of those big play threats. Hester had 20 receptions for 299 yards for a team-high 15.0 yards per reception. Hester’s two receiving touchdowns went for 81 and 55 yards. The 81-yard TD reception was the longest passing play for the franchise since 1994, as Hester became just the third player in franchise history whose first career TD reception was 80-plus yards.

During the Bears Super Bowl run in 2006 under Drake’s leadership, the Bears were the NFL leaders by hauling in 95.9-percent (282 of 294) of the catchable balls thrown their way. The 12 drops by Chicago’s receivers during the season equaled Buffalo for fewest in the League.

Under Drake’s guidance, Berrian led the Bears in 2007 with a career-high 951 receiving yards. That was the 13th-most receiving yards in Chicago single-season history.

At Texas, Drake guided three different Longhorn wide receivers to first-team all-Big 12 honors and directed three of the most productive receiving duos in UT history. While coaching the only 1,000-yard receivers in the school's history, the Longhorns averaged nearly 10 wins a season. Drake mentored first-round draft pick Roy Williams, who finished his UT career as the leading receiver in school history with 251 receptions for 4,017 yards (16.0 yards per receptions) and 37 touchdowns. He also coached Wayne McGarity, a fourth-round draft pick of the Dallas Cowboys in 1999.

Prior to that, Drake spent one season as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Baylor (1997) after five seasons coaching wide receivers at Georgia (1992-96). During his time with the Bulldogs, Drake tutored some of the top receivers in the SEC: Andre Hastings, Brice Hunter and NFL Pro Bowler Hines Ward.

Drake began his coaching career at Western Kentucky as a graduate assistant coach (1983-84) and spent nine seasons with the Hilltoppers, working with the wide receivers for four seasons (1985-88), the secondary for two years (1989-90) and serving as the passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach in 1991. He starred as a wide receiver for WKU in 1975 and during the 1977-78 seasons. He helped the Hilltoppers to an 8-2 record and the OVC Championship as a senior and was a member of their 11-2 OVC Championship squad that played in the NCAA Division II Championship game in 1975.

Following his collegiate career, Drake spent time in professional football with the Washington Redskins (1979), Ottawa Roughriders of the Canadian Football League (1981) and Cincinnati Bengals (1983). The Louisville, Ky., native earned his bachelor's (1980) and master's (1984) from Western Kentucky.

Drake was an all-state performer in football and an All-American in both track and field and basketball at Flaget High School in Louisville. He and his wife, Sheila, have three daughters, Shanice, Felisha and Marian.

Josh Heupel
Assistant Coach
Quarterbacks

Football Coaching Staff

Coaching Accomplishments
• Tutored Paul Thompson, who, after finding out just one day before fall camp that he would play quarterback, piloted OU to an 11-3 mark. He put up numbers on the season that rank among OU's top 10 for passing yards, touchdown passes and completion percentage.
• After spending one season as tight ends coach at Arizona, he returned to his alma mater late in the 2005 campaign and was on the staff to coach in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl victory over Oregon.
• Coached the tight ends at Arizona. The top two combined for 31 receptions for 346 yards and eight touchdowns.
• Arizona tight end Brad Wood led the Wildcats with six touchdowns. That figure represented the most receiving TDs in a single season since Bobby Wade hauled in eight for UA in 2002.
• Arizona handed then No. 7 UCLA its first loss of the season by a score of 52-14 at Tucson.
• Helped coach the Oklahoma Sooners to the 2004 national championship game (Sugar Bowl) as a graduate assistant.
• Founded The 14 Foundation, a non-profit organization that serves underprivileged children throughout the state of Oklahoma.

Prominent Pupils
• Jason White, Oklahoma
2003 Heisman Trophy Winner

Accomplishments as a Player
• 2000 Heisman Trophy runner-up.
• 2000 Walter Camp Award winner.
• Associated Press Player of the Year, 2000.
• CBS Player of the Year, 2000.
• Led Sooners to 2000 national championship over Florida State in Orange Bowl.
• OU's first consensus All-America quarterback, and first Oklahoma QB since 1971 to earn All-America honors.
• Eighty percent winning percentage as OU quarterback of record with a 20-5 mark.
• Passed for 7,456 yards and 53 touchdowns in career.
• Oklahoma career top three in passing yards, completions and touchdown passes.
• 2001 NFL draft, sixth round, Miami Dolphins.

The Heupel File
Birthdate March 22, 1978
Hometown Aberdeen, S.D.
High School Aberdeen Central, 1995
College Oklahoma, 2001
Family wife, Dawn

Coaching History
2005-present - Oklahoma
Quarterbacks
2005 - Arizona
Tight Ends
2004 - Oklahoma
Graduate Assistant

Bowl Games Coached (4)
2007 Fiesta Oklahoma
2005 Holiday Oklahoma
2005 Orange Oklahoma
2004 Sugar Oklahoma

Bowl Games Played (2)
2001 Orange Oklahoma
1999 Independence Oklahoma

Dan McCarney
Assistant Head Coach, Defense/ Defensive Line
Coaching Experience
2008 - Present Florida (Assistant Head Coach, Defense/Defensive Line)
2007 USF (Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line)
1995-2006 Iowa State (Head Coach)
1990-94 Wisconsin (Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line)
1979-89 Iowa (Defensive Line)
1977-78 Iowa (Offensive Line)
Coaching Accomplishments

Led a University of South Florida defense that ranked third nationally with 8.69 tackles for loss per game.
Became longest tenured head coach in the Big 12 at the completion of the 2006 season after coaching the Iowa State Cyclones from 1995-2006
Took the Cyclones to five bowl games and in the 116-year history of the ISU program he led five of the 16 teams that have won seven games or more.
Named the Big 12 Coach of the Year in 2004, when the Cyclones were the Big 12 North Co-Champions
His 2000 squad was the first Iowa State team to win nine games in 94 years. In addition, the win over Pittsburgh in the Insight.com Bowl was ISU’s first-ever bowl victory and the Cyclones’ first bowl appearance since 1978.
Remains the longest-serving (141 games) and winningest Cyclone head coach (56 victories) in school history. During his 12th season as Iowa State head coach in 2006, only eight head coaches among 119 NCAA Division I-A programs had been at their current school longer than him.
Responsible for the rebirth of the Iowa State defense as the unit ranked among the Big 12 Conference's leaders in total defense in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005. ISU's final 2004 total defense mark of 329.4 yards allowed per game was the school's best effort in nearly two decades. The Cyclones allowed 44.8 points per game in 1997; however, by 2005 the figure had dipped to 18.5, which ranked second in the Big 12.
Prior to his head coaching post at Iowa State, he served as defensive coordinator and defensive line coach at Wisconsin. In the four seasons prior to his arrival, the Badgers had a combined 9-36 record. In 1993, Wisconsin went 10-1-1, claimed its first Big 10 title in 31 years and scored a 21-16 win over UCLA in the Rose Bowl. During the Rose Bowl season, the Badgers ranked 19 nationally against the run (130.3 yards per game) and allowed just 16.3 points per game. The Badger defense intercepted an NCAA-best 23 passes and created 34 turnovers, including six against UCLA in the Rose Bowl.
Began his coaching career at his alma mater, the University of Iowa, where he served as offensive lines coach for two years and managed the defensive line for ten seasons. During his tenure at Iowa he coached the Hawkeyes in eight-consecutive bowl games, including the 1982 and 1986 Rose Bowls.
Prominent Players Coached
USF:

DE GEORGE SELVIE – Consensus All-American as a sophomore and finalist for the Bronko Nagurski and Ted Hendricks Awards. Led the nation in tackles for loss (31.5) and was second nationally in sacks (14.5).
IOWA STATE:

RB TROY DAVIS – Heisman Trophy finalist in 1995 and 1996. Rushed for over 2,000 yards both seasons.
QB SENECA WALLACE - Big 12 Conference’s Offensive Newcomer of the Year in 2001. Finished his Iowa State career in 2003 as the Cyclones’ all-time leader in total offense
DE JOSH BERRYMAN - Named the Big 12 Conference Defensive Newcomer of the Year in 2003.
WISCONSIN:

DB TROY VINCENT – First Team All-American selection in 1991. Was a semi-finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award given to the top defensive back in the nation and selected as the Big 10 Player of the Year in 1991. Was drafted in the first round by the Miami Dolphins in 1992. Has made five Pro Bowl appearances and was selected as the NFL’s Man of the Year in 2002.
IOWA:

DL DAVE HAIGHT – Named Big 10 Defensive Lineman of the Year in 1987 and was chosen as an All-American by the Walter Camp Foundation and Football News in 1998.
NFL Players (Round Drafted)
DE George Little (3rd) – Iowa ’85 – Miami Dolphins
DT Jeff Drost (8th) – Iowa ’87 – Green Bay Packers
DE Don Davey (3rd) – Wisconsin ’91 – Green Bay Packers
CB Troy Vincent (1st ) – Wisconsin ’92 – Miami Dolphins
DT Mike Thompson (4th) – Wisconsin ’95 – Jacksonville Jaguars
CB Kenny Gales (6th) – Wisconsin ’95 – Chicago Bears
G Tim Kohn (3rd) – Iowa State ’97 – Oakland Raiders
RB Troy Davis (3rd) – Iowa State ’97 – New Orleans Saints
T Oliver Ross (5th) – Iowa State ’98 – Dallas Cowboys
DT James Reed (7th) – Iowa State ’01 – New York Jets
QB Sage Rosenfels (4th) – Iowa State ’01 – Washington Redskins
DE Reggie Hayward (3rd) – Iowa State ’01 – Denver Broncos
TE Mike Banks (7th) – Iowa State ’02 – Arizona Cardinals
QB Seneca Wallace (4th) – Iowa State ’03 – Seattle Seahawks
CB Ellis Hobbs (3rd) – Iowa State ’05 – New England Patriots
LB Tim Dobbins (5th) – Iowa State ’06 – San Diego Chargers
T Aaron Brant (7th) – Iowa State ’07 – Chicago Bears

Playing Career

He was a three-year letterman on the offensive line for Iowa (1972-74) and was captain of the 1974 Hawkeye squad

Personal Information
Birthdate: July 28, 1953
Hometown: Iowa City, Iowa
Education: Iowa (1975)
Marital Status: Wife, Margy

Bowl Games as a Coach
1982: Rose
1982: Peach
1983: Gator
1984: Freedom
1986: Rose
1986: Holiday
1987: Holiday
1988: Peach
1994: Rose
2000: Insight.com
2001: Independence
2002: Humanitarian
2004: Independence
2005: EV1.NET Houston
2008: Brut Sun

There now I know who we are talking about here!

By the way I would be excited about any of these three unlike the clown they are going to hire for DC :(

Go Gophers!

Totally out of left field, but this is a guy that really has me interested that makes a lot of sense. Somehow the name Darryl Drake has come up. He is a WR coach as is this guy. Mentioned was that it could be an "assistant" on either of the teams playing tonite. As is this guy. Put the two together along with Brew's energetic recruiting style and you get Urban Meyer's best dating back to his days at Utah!

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2008&staff=gonzales

I think that in going after McCarney, we are basically shooting for the stars. I don't see any way that he leaves Florida to come to Minnesota. Wasn't he one of the many names to come up for the head coaching job here before we decided on Brewster?

Huepel is interesting. I really haven't heard much about his coaching abilities. It looks like he is doing a pretty good job with Bradford though. But he is at his alma mater and it will be interesting to see if he is willing to leave there already.

After watching our basketball team get Tubby from KU, I have learned not to discount anything. We should have a better idea friday afternoon

In another thread when someone asked why we were waiting to announce if Brew already knew who he was gonna hire I suggested that maybe they were waiting to announce the OC or DC because he was going to be coaching tonight and these 2 names were referenced in a reply.

Josh Heupels (Oklahoma) as OC and Dan McCarney (Florida) as DC have BOTH been tossed around as possibles.

I too would be happy with any coach from these 2 teams.

Those names were simply a cross reference between the coahing staffs of last nights game and names that were being bandied about in threads here.

No more, no less.

At one point in time someone referenced Brewster saying the candidate would have "professional" experience. I never saw the original quote, but if it is true, Drake would make more sense.

You are right in that McCarney would certainly qualify as a kill shot. Getting him would blow me away completely!

My guess is that "top guy" is Jay Norvell from OU. He has experience in the pros and might actually fit the definition of a "wow" hire as he has been interviewed for some head coaching positions and has been an OC at UCLA and Nebraska. His title at OU is Wide Receivers coach and co offensive coordinator and the salary info I found on him had him making 210K. I know the U was paying Dunbar 265K.

My guess is that "top guy" is Jay Norvell from OU. He has experience in the pros and might actually fit the definition of a "wow" hire as he has been interviewed for some head coaching positions and has been an OC at UCLA and Nebraska. His title at OU is Wide Receivers coach and co offensive coordinator and the salary info I found on him had him making 210K. I know the U was paying Dunbar 265K.

I think he is a pretty solid coach, when at Nebraska he was OC but Callahan still called all the plays and he wanted to do this so he left for UCLA. If I recall correctly at the time as well his wife had some medical issues which contributed to him going to UCLA as he wanted to be in a major city for medical access.

Jay Norvell was very highly thought of at Wisconsin and I have heard they tried to get him back many times.

It would be a very good hire.

Josh Heupel cost me $20 a few years ago. I didnt think that OU had it in em to beat FSU. So, unless he is going to pay me back for my wager..he can stay there...there's no way that i want an heisman runner up or a national champ coaching my team...no way.

On a serious note, as for the Bears WR coach, most of me wants to say that the Bears WR's are and have been terrible for years. I'll stop the Berrian arguement right there and say that Berrian is not a good WR. He simply has speed. Hester is a poor route runner and drops too many balls. I cant name another chicago reciever in the last 4 years other than Muhammad; who was good but came to the Bears as a FA and i wouldnt say that this guy developed him. Basically, i say that the Bears WR's are crap...why this guy?

DARRYL
DRAKE

Drake began his coaching career at Western Kentucky as a graduate assistant coach (1983-84) and spent nine seasons with the Hilltoppers, working with the wide receivers for four seasons (1985-88), the secondary for two years (1989-90) and serving as the passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach in 1991. He starred as a wide receiver for WKU in 1975 and during the 1977-78 seasons. He helped the Hilltoppers to an 8-2 record and the OVC Championship as a senior and was a member of their 11-2 OVC Championship squad that played in the NCAA Division II Championship game in 1975. The Louisville, Ky., native earned his bachelor's (1980) and master's (1984) from Western Kentucky.

Anyone remember the last coach we hired that was an amnus of Western Kentucky University?
Hint.... his name rhymmes with Flem Flaskins.

Bonus question... Anyone know who the biggest Gophers fan of all time that is also a Western Kentucky Alumnus? Hint... his screen name rhymmes with Toe Snowfers Claw.

Go Gophers (and Go Hilltoppers). Rah!

Heupel

Heupel is from South Dakota, but I'm not sure it would be coming "home" for him. Josh's sister married a current US Congressman (who is the son of the current OU president and former OK senator or governor or something) from OK and I think his parents live in Oklahoma now too.

If there is a "home" for Heupel I'm pretty sure it's near Norman. That said I wouldn't be down on him as an OC hire at all.

Go Gophers!! Don't forget that if it were not for Clem Haskins we would not have TUBBY . Clem had more to do with him coming here than Maturi did.

I'd be surprised if Heupel doesn't come here. He's got the midwest connection going, and he'd be taking a step up in the coaching ranks by becoming an OC. I, for one, would be pleased if we landed him. From all accounts he's done a fine job at OK, he'll help develop our stable of young QBs, and will continue to be a diligent recruiter.

Top Bottom