Our offense...

GopherNation5

Reaction score
Is fricking ABYSMAL. Itall starts with Dunbar. He is a terrible play caller, and if it was up to me I'd fire him after this season, I don't care what his resume is. It is impossible to watch this offense without wanting to throw your remote at the t.v. There is no explosive plays, let alone good plays. Also, our running backs are weak and slow, and our offensive line is easily the worst in the big ten, and if you ask me, one of the worst in the fbs. We need Lewan, and Lipscomb asap.

I'd say it all starts up front with the OL. A RB who can break a tackle would be nice too (Hi Hasan, you're much needed here). I'm starting to think that MarQueis may push Weber for playing time too.

I think this will be Brewster's biggest mistake is with the Spread Option attack. You have to have really versatile offensive lineman, and this line hasn't developed into one that can open holes in the running game. The potential is there obviously, but it's a work in progress.

Weber's a nice athlete and looks like his confidence has been shaken. But it's hard for him to get his feet set and read a defense when he's getting immense pressure from the edge.

Is there another receiver who's going to emerge opposite of Eric Decker?

Is there another receiver who's going to emerge opposite of Eric Decker?

The receiving core should be fine going forward. One or more of the true freshman will work out (I really think Green is going to be a good player), and hopefully JUCO Hayo Carpenter is as good as advertised. The bigger problem is the OL, of course. Seriously...these guys have been worse than bad this year. A couple of them should develop into good players, but it's going to take time...

I don't think that the spread option attack is what is wrong with this offense. The problem with this offense is that they don't have the size and athleticism on the line. The scheme needed to be implemented from day one if they want to have any success three to four years down the road.

The situation at running back shows us that we have a very glaring need. Will Lipscomb be able to contribute from day one in the Big 10? I'm not sure. This offseason will allow Eskridge and Salamon to bulk up and get some of the size needed to break tackles. We also have Whaley who was a beast in high school (IMO he was the best of the three running backs).

The wide receiver position will be one of our most solid positions next year. Decker and Green are returning, and Green will have an offseason under his belt to work on his strength, conditioning, and overall knowledge of the offense. McKnight and Smith should be able to contribute next year as well. I expect Carpenter to be an immediate downfield threat. He is a beast, and his beastliness will carry over to DI football.

The offensive line is what bothers me the most. We are completely undersized in almost every contest. There isn't a single starter over 6'5", and we have a whole slew of linemen that are 6'2". The weight of the lineman, other than Tavale maybe, is undersized in the Big 10 also. This is something that can be improved over the summer. While I think that Olson and Campion will be good lineman for us in the future, I don't see them making an immediate impact. The only recruit I see making an immediate impact is Lewan (if he decides to be a Gopher). Even with the improved weight of the lineman, are they really competent lineman that can hold their own in the Big 10?

Adam Weber needs to look out. Marquies Gray will be inches from a starting spot if Weber screws up. Gray adds a whole different dimension to this offense. He has the ability to move around at a fast pace and make things happen with his feet. Weber is mobile, but he just isn't a Pat White, Michael Vick, etc...(these types of quarterbacks have shown lots of success in the past). According to analysis, during summer practice Marquies Gray looked like he was light years ahead of where Terrelle Prior was, if that is an indication of talent (take it for what its worth). Weber has shown over the last six to seven weeks that he isn't all that accurate of a passer (Decker was able to use his athleticism and talent to make up for the lack of accuracy), and he just doesn't seem to have the arm for the deep ball. Can Gray give us what we were looking for from Weber this year? Maybe...

I've hated this offense for two years...

It's not matched to our talent; can't run out of it; no momentum, etc. It's 0-55 with 11 minutes left.
No touchdowns for 11 quarters or so...yuck.

It's not matched to our talent; can't run out of it; no momentum, etc. It's 0-55 with 11 minutes left.
No touchdowns for 11 quarters or so...yuck.

I beg to differ. It makes a big difference when you try to run an offense that calls for beefy and tall lineman with short and small offensive lineman. It's also tough to run an offense whose personel was recruited to run a power running attack with zone blocking schemes. It also makes a difference when you try to run an offense with two true freshman running backs that have never seen defenses this physical and have never been this physically worn down. Dunbar knows what it takes for this offense to work. Like I have said, he needed to implement the offense on day one if he wanted to have any success 3-4 years down the road.

Our offense was Stoudermire running back kick-offs. Those were the only yards we generated really.

After watching Green hit the secondary untouched a few times, and even when we did stop them we were allready pushed back 3 yards, it's clear to me where the difference is. It's the OL. Pure and simple. And if you look at the D chart from tonights game you'll see the big reason why.

I don't care how good a coach you are, you aint going to win if you can't run at least a little.

I dont understand why some of you think Gray will push Weber for playing time. Weber is the best player on the team. Some of you are unrealistic or clueless as to the development of young quarterbacks.

I dont understand why some of you think Gray will push Weber for playing time. Weber is the best player on the team. Some of you are unrealistic or clueless as to the development of young quarterbacks.

Terelle Pryor took over Todd Boeckman's spot after like 2 games, and many people thoght boeckman would be a first day draft pick. So, I'm not saying it will happen for sure, but I would not be surprised next year if Gray ended up seeing 10 or more snaps a game, just to show the defense something different.

So from what I can gather, we've got question marks at all four offensive groups--QB, RB, WR, and OL.

I realize I'm being optimistic but I think we all expect some improvement at 3 of them...

QB play ought to improve with Weber in his 3rd year and Gray coming in.
WR play ought to improve with Decker healthy, Green in his 2nd year, Kuznia back, and Carpenter joining the squad.
RB play ought to improve, if nothing else because the # of options will improve--Bennett back, Salamon and Eskrisge in their 2nd year, and Lipscomb coming in.

OL is where I'm not sure I see a big upgrade. Sure. we'll have a bunch of guys back for their 2nd, 3rd years but are we going to see guys come in to improve the line? Where are we with talent upgrades? Are Michel and (hopefully) Lewan going to make an impact? Are there others that we can expect to greatly improve the line? Who/what do we need to get the OL improved significanty?

Top Bottom