Whew!! We should be PROUD of this win!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again...every win in the Big Ten is a good win, especially on the road. There is no shame in having to grind it out, which is what we did tonight.

Tubby made some great adjustments that Lickliter had no answer for.

Busch and Paul Carter were huge.

Halfway through the first half I said to myself that this is the type of game that Wisconsin would find a way to win (this is a complement to UW, not a rip) and that we usually fail to pull out...well we found a way to grind it out and got a solid road win in the BT!!

Go Gophers!!

Totally agree, Bleed. Not a thing of beauty, and much of our offense went cold but we still managed to pull it out.

Nice to end Iowa's home winning steak. Never an easy place to play. We played some good defense tonight. Hopefully the offense will look a bit better over the next couple though.

Not pretty but nothing is in Iowa.

Encouraging to see Carter, Busch, Bostick, and a few others make some plays.

What happened to Iverson in the second half? I know that we went small/quick to cut off the lane but I don't think he saw the floor after the first few minutes of the second half.

Also, this was probably the worst game I've seen Hoff play. Really hope his shooting comes around because he is a non factor otherwise.

Always great to win on the road!

I think we'll have plenty to work on after this game. I am glad we starting trying to get to the rim more in the 2nd half rather than launch 3-pointers all night. I kept thinking of high school where on our team if you threw up a 3 that was at the wrong time or bad shot, you were on the bench the next time the horn sounded.

Like everyone else says, that win was ugly, but good.

Joesph and Hoff stuggled but the play of Carter, Bostick and Busch made up for it! That is the beauty of this team, when some guys struggle the others pick them up.

Great win! Anytime you win on the road in the Big Ten is huge. How sad is that Iowa crowd though? I bet there was not more than 6-7k fans in attendance.

I noticed that as well. 50% of the seats were filled at best. Makes you appreciate Williams!

Saturn, great Gilbert reference and so true.

Keokolo, I totally agree about Carver Hawkeye Arena. I went to a Gopher/Iowa game there about 8 years ago and it was one of the worst environments I've seen for a BT game, let alone a rivalry game, and tonight's crowd looked even worse than that.

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, the offense wasn't very good tonight for the most part, but, in the grand scheme of things, I'm smiling pretty wide about this win for a couple of reasons.

1. We found a way to get a win on the road despite not shooting the ball well at all. In other words, we kept on grinding until we got the job done.

2. Our defensive adjustments in the second half were really fun to watch. Gottlieb, for the all jabs he took at the Gophers scheduling in the first half, noted how "there was nothing there" for the Hawkeyes in the second half. And he was right. For most of the second half, Iowa had absolutely nothing going and that allowed us, even with our offensive difficulties, to find a way to win.

All and all, it's good to get out of Iowa City 14-1!!!:D

They were probably crowded around the stalls cheering.

Also,Brewster should talk to Tubby about how to hold Iowa under 50.

Well I don't know if proud is the word I would describe, but it was a gutsy win in a tough place and as other have said, a win is a win and I will take it. I am sure the team isn't proud of their shooting tonight, though....

We didn't play our best, but we still won ugly. What Tubby has done is find new ways to win. Before, it always seemed like we would find new ways to lose. That's the mark of a good coach and right now we are 14-1 and I will take it.

Born and raised Gopher --- pretty funny comment. Got a chuckle over both comments, actually.

You know the funny thing is after that MetroDome incident happened, I wasn't even shocked. I was like, "Yeah, that's the Iowa fans all right."

I am sure the guy thought it was pretty fun at the time but now the woman is saying this was done without her consent and she didn't know what was going on. That guy might be in for a rape trial and it isn't going away, either....

Great road win against a rival...

Always love beating the Hawkeyes, especially in Iowa City.

The Brew asking Tubby how to hold Iowa under 50 line was a pretty good one, but in that same conversation maybe Tubby can ask Brewster how to beat Purdue and Illinois on the road. Sorry, couldn't resist. One cheap shot deserved another.

Go Gophers.

This was a gutty win for the Gophers as a lot of factors were not in their favor tonight. They couldn't hit a jumpshot all night, the officiating was brutal, and Iowa did a great job of controlling the pace of the game. Coming back from 13 down against a team that uses 25 or more seconds on the shot clock most possessions is not an easy task and on the road it's even more difficult.

Concerns:

It's a bad sign when the Hawkeyes were driving past our guys for layups early on. We will face teams with much better penetrators going forward, so we better figure that out.

The Iverson/SampsonIII starting lineup simply can't happen against certain teams. I question whether we should have both in the starting lineup against anyone at this point in their careers, but there are certain games where it makes zero sense. Iowa's starting a lineup featuring 4 perimeter players and we counter with 2 7 footers . If either Ralph or Colton was a big time post threat offensively it might make sense, but the combination was a handicap for us tonight on both ends of the floor and contributed to another slow start.

We have to close out games. I have a bad feeling that we won't get better in these last two minute situations until we collapse in spectacular fashion. Westbrook hitting all his free throws down the stretch kind of bailed us out.

The Iverson/SampsonIII starting lineup simply can't happen against certain teams. I question whether we should have both in the starting lineup against anyone at this point in their careers, but there are certain games where it makes zero sense. Iowa's starting a lineup featuring 4 perimeter players and we counter with 2 7 footers . If either Ralph or Colton was a big time post threat offensively it might make sense, but the combination was a handicap for us tonight on both ends of the floor and contributed to another slow start.

I disagree. I think they are both playing extremely well together. They are starting to gel and create some good communication. I will agree with you tho on the point that when the opposing team starts 4 perimeter guys you have to make a switch early if it doesn't work. Last night the two big men started off well against the Hawks it wasn't until about 6 minutes in where we couldn't buy a bucket that things started to go south.

Top Bottom