Would nobody support a Cosgrove hire?

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
I don't know if he would be a good hire or not but I guess I'm surprised at how adamantly opposed the armchair QB's are here to hiring Cosgrove.

Most fans are basing their opinions of this on a track record at Nebraska and the Husker fans' perception of him, which could be ill-advised.

First of all, Nebraska began a downward spiral the second Osborne announced his retirement and it continued under the Solich regime. It's a difficult enough place to recruit to and Solich didn't do a fantastic job of selling the program. Since then, plain and simple, they just haven't had the horses. I expect Pelini to change that, however.

Secondly, Callahan was absolutely HATED for changing offenses, Cosgrove was a Callahan guy, and was treated as such. Again, they still didn't have the horses.

Lastly, try not making any assumptions based on input from Nebraska Cornhusker fans. If you've never lived there (which I did for two years), you just don't have any idea of how passionate and fanatical a fan base can be. It's like nothing you've ever seen. All of the sudden it's been a decade since the "glory days" and most fans still haven't come to grips with the fact that they're not a top 15 program anymore. Unrealistic expectations.

Basically, I'm hearing two arguments against Cosgrove; his defenses at Nebraska weren't up to par and the Husker fans hated him and said he was the worst coach in history. Nebraska just isn't what it used to be. It looks to be changing under the new regime. Let's face the facts, for 8-10 years there, they just weren't getting the players and their expectations were still linked to the "Black Shirt" glory days on defense. It just wasn't going to happen.

I have my doubts about the choice being Cosgrove, largely because (as somebody else pointed out) if Brew liked him, why wasn't he hired last year. But if he is hired, I'll reserve my judgement until I see the product on the field.

Fans know more than coaches who've been in the business for 20 plus years.

I don't know if he would be a good hire or not but I guess I'm surprised at how adamantly opposed the armchair QB's are here to hiring Cosgrove.

Most fans are basing their opinions of this on a track record at Nebraska and the Husker fans' perception of him, which could be ill-advised.

First of all, Nebraska began a downward spiral the second Osborne announced his retirement and it continued under the Solich regime. It's a difficult enough place to recruit to and Solich didn't do a fantastic job of selling the program. Since then, plain and simple, they just haven't had the horses. I expect Pelini to change that, however.

Secondly, Callahan was absolutely HATED for changing offenses, Cosgrove was a Callahan guy, and was treated as such. Again, they still didn't have the horses.

Lastly, try not making any assumptions based on input from Nebraska Cornhusker fans. If you've never lived there (which I did for two years), you just don't have any idea of how passionate and fanatical a fan base can be. It's like nothing you've ever seen. All of the sudden it's been a decade since the "glory days" and most fans still haven't come to grips with the fact that they're not a top 15 program anymore. Unrealistic expectations.

Basically, I'm hearing two arguments against Cosgrove; his defenses at Nebraska weren't up to par and the Husker fans hated him and said he was the worst coach in history. Nebraska just isn't what it used to be. It looks to be changing under the new regime. Let's face the facts, for 8-10 years there, they just weren't getting the players and their expectations were still linked to the "Black Shirt" glory days on defense. It just wasn't going to happen.

I have my doubts about the choice being Cosgrove, largely because (as somebody else pointed out) if Brew liked him, why wasn't he hired last year. But if he is hired, I'll reserve my judgement until I see the product on the field.

To say that he didn't have the athletes to work with to produce better than he did at Nebraska is just plain false, he coached 14 players during his 4 years at Nebraska that are now on NFL rosters and several starting, so he had talent to work with. His defenses there averaged 60th in the country during his 4 years there and his defenses at wisconsin averaged in the 50's. He wasn't getting slack because he was a part of Callahan's staff it was because his defenses were terrible. Pelini kept the offensive coordinator from Callahans' staff as his OC because he was good and the fans there loved the hire so let's not think they were just biased against Cosgrove because he was apart of the Callahan staff.

I never rip a hiring before I see the results of the hiring. Cosgrove would simply be a wait and see type thing for me. So what exactly is it that make his defenses so horrible? Like, what did he do that these fans hated that they could see why the defense was horrible. I heard the quote from the Mizzou game where they said he just sat back and rushed three while Chase Daniel busted them up. Is that his main defensive philosophy? Does anyone think Brewster would stand for that, cause I'm pretty sure he's all about having an attacking defense that imposes itself on the offense vs. one that kinda falls back and lets a team dink and dunk them (once the athletes are in place of course). What is Cosgrove's main defensive philosophy?

Talk to people in Wisc. They also think he is terrible, but would love the Gophs to hire him!! He is only a fair position coach.

Insight

Prior to their game w/ USC last year, my USC insiders told me that the SC coaching staff felt that Nebraska had a poor defensive scheme, a lack of speed on the edges, and that they were poorly coached. they felt extremely confident that their freshman center would be able to control the big NG Suh just by running misdirection and using motion, and that SC would have good success running the ball.

Sure enough, Nebraska defense was LOST most of the night. I know they lost a ton of talent from the year before, which was actually an ok defense, but they looked so confused that it reflected quite poorly on the staff. walking out of the stadium that night, and listening to Lincoln radio on the drive back to omaha, the vitriol towards Cosgrove was insane.

that game was a precursor for the rest of the year.

i'll be really unhappy if it's cosgrove. given brewster's nfl connections, just seems like he should be able to bring in someone better.

I can think of 10 guys who would like it, and their respective fanbases.

I never rip a hiring before I see the results of the hiring. Cosgrove would simply be a wait and see type thing for me. So what exactly is it that make his defenses so horrible? Like, what did he do that these fans hated that they could see why the defense was horrible. I heard the quote from the Mizzou game where they said he just sat back and rushed three while Chase Daniel busted them up. Is that his main defensive philosophy? Does anyone think Brewster would stand for that, cause I'm pretty sure he's all about having an attacking defense that imposes itself on the offense vs. one that kinda falls back and lets a team dink and dunk them (once the athletes are in place of course). What is Cosgrove's main defensive philosophy?

he is not a guy who believes in blitzing much, he is the most unagressive defensive coach you will ever see. His last season at Nebraska the entire team had 18 sacks, this year with the same players under Pelini 38 sacks. Every single one of the gopher defensive backs better be Deion Sanders or Ed Reed or else they will get lit up with his philosophy.

While I have some serious reservations about Cosgrove, I would still support him and here's why: I'm a gopher fan through and through.

Now, having just said that, he'll have some work to do in order to really impress me. I would LOVE for him to come in here and make us a great defense. I admit I have some doubts, but I will support the team regardless of who Brew hires as the coordinators.

I just happen to think that we can do better, that's all. :eek::eek:

If you aim to be successful in that endeavor, I suggest that you slit them rather than slight them. Slighting them will only make them feel bad about themselves.

Of course there is some merit to sticking to what you do best.

he is not a guy who believes in blitzing much, he is the most unagressive defensive coach you will ever see. His last season at Nebraska the entire team had 18 sacks, this year with the same players under Pelini 38 sacks. Every single one of the gopher defensive backs better be Deion Sanders or Ed Reed or else they will get lit up with his philosophy.

Okay, that's what I thought. This just doesn't make any sense to me then. It just goes contrary to what Brewster says he wants. Why would he do this? Like I said, "wait and see", but on the surface, I question it.

Okay, that's what I thought. This just doesn't make any sense to me then. It just goes contrary to what Brewster says he wants. Why would he do this? Like I said, "wait and see", but on the surface, I question it.
\

The only thing I can figure is that Brewster is letting his friendship and desire to help out a unemployed friend cloud his better judgement. Added to that is that Maturi appears to support it due to his undying love of all things Wisconsin. Those two things added together are a recipe for disaster.

\

The only thing I can figure is that Brewster is letting his friendship and desire to help out a unemployed friend cloud his better judgement. Added to that is that Maturi appears to support it due to his undying love of all things Wisconsin. Those two things added together are a recipe for disaster.

Or perhaps we don't have the $$$ to get someone better? I don't think blind loyalty/friendship is the only possibility here. Just b/c there are better folks available doesn't mean they want to coach here. Also, I'd point out (desperate hope on my part) that Cosgrove seemed like a shoo-in last time for the same reasons and then Brew pulled Roof out of his hat instead. So here's hoping. :D

I'm in the same boat as MRJ. I'll support whoever we hire. But Cosgrove will excite me less.

I don't particularly like the hire either, but I guess that I don't think it's terrible, just not great like I would like to see. One thing it does is to maintain stability while we get the O going. And even if the best Cos could do is 50-60 in the nation it's still an improvement and probably gets us to a winning program where we can then adjust.

Going out and getting that fresh star runs the risk of a complete bust as well. You strike out more when swinging for the fences. I don't think we can afford another swing and miss right now. I think another failure hurts us more than a great hire helps us. From a probs standpoint the EV might be a little better with Cosgrove than someone else.

It's the only good spin I could come up with.

I don't particularly like the hire either, but I guess that I don't think it's terrible, just not great like I would like to see. One thing it does is to maintain stability while we get the O going. And even if the best Cos could do is 50-60 in the nation it's still an improvement and probably gets us to a winning program where we can then adjust.

Going out and getting that fresh star runs the risk of a complete bust as well. You strike out more when swinging for the fences. I don't think we can afford another swing and miss right now. I think another failure hurts us more than a great hire helps us. From a probs standpoint the EV might be a little better with Cosgrove than someone else.

It's the only good spin I could come up with.

I applaud your efforts at spinning this but you are not a miracle worker. I don't think money is an issue as we will give the new DC 300,000-400,000 I am sure which would attract plenty of good candidates. If we are worried about striking out, I don't think you guy with a guy that has already proven to be a dud at two different programs. Cosgrove must be cat because apparently he has nine lives. If this hire does happen and if it fails as all previous indications suggest it likely will, then Brewster, Maturi, and Cosgrove should be able to share a moving truck in 3-4 years as they will all be sent packing by Bruininks.

My thinking is that it's Brewster's neck on the block. If this is his choice, well ....

The other thing is that I recall being here after Withers left. The choice was supposedly Cosgrove (because he was a buddy of Brewster and he was out of work). People were railing against the "choice". Then Roof was announced.

In any event, the initial announcement (whatever it is) will only affect the more hardcore fans. The casual fan could care less. They only care about winning. If the team wins, they will buy tickets. If they are not winning, they won't. It's not like Iowa and Wisconsin where people show up regardless.

I generally don't like the pick mainly b/c of the Withers experiment. Withers also had some checkered past issues about not being a very good defensive coach at his last college assignment. It is very possible Withers learned from his time here and took it to NC. I basically don't want another Withers coming in here trying things to figure out what works and doesn't again.

Or perhaps we don't have the $$$ to get someone better?

If that's the case, then Maturi should be trying to find the money. We don't have across the board talent, let alone depth. In our case a top rate DC is needed because we don't have the players to make a mediocre coach look good. What we need are top coaches to help make our players look better.

I wonder if Roof would have stayed if we had matched the money?

Ogee;

No trouble in the least with hiring Cosgrove as long as the Defensive Recruits stay, or better yet the Defense plays well next year. I don't know if the last year and a half at Nebraska was a delusion or not. I do know that there are plenty of Nebraska fans who think that any year they don't win the Big 12 is a crime against humanity.

Who the bleep knows how next year's team let alone Defense, will perform. It is pretty amusing though reading the posts from people who absolutely know that Cosgrove is going to be a failure.

So we're pretty much back to Mason's "Prevent" Defense with an Offense that couldn't move the football against a Pee-Wee League team?

Next year is going to be interesting........

I heard the quote from the Mizzou game where they said he just sat back and rushed three while Chase Daniel busted them up. Is that his main defensive philosophy? Does anyone think Brewster would stand for that, cause I'm pretty sure he's all about having an attacking defense that imposes itself on the offense vs. one that kinda falls back and lets a team dink and dunk them (once the athletes are in place of course).
This is my feeling too. I find it hard to believe that Brewster's not gonna have a say in the defensive philosophy they employ.

The ability to recruit is important, obviously, but I want competence as well. I don't know anything about Cosgrove accept for what has been shared on this board, which doesn't look good, (112th ranked defense in his last year at Nebraska? Is that right? Yikes), but what do I know?

What will be disappointing for me is if it is Cosgrove, mainly because it seems he is the easy/familiar choice. I understand the urgency to make a hire, but I would hope more candidates would have at least been interviewed and that doesn't appear to have been the case (it's been so tight-lipped). Again, this is assuming that Cosgrove is hired.

It it's someone else, nevermind.

Well, there was something I noticed about the whole hiring of a defensive coordinator. Around this time last season, a lot of us were thinking that Cosgrove was to be hired. Then Roof was brought in. None of us saw Roof as a possibility at all. We were all caught off-guard by this hiring.

I expect the same course of events to take place now. While Cosgrove may seem like the obvious hire for defensive coordinator (due to his connections to Brewster and Maturi), the next defensive coordinator will come out of nowhere. I'm banking on it. Nobody will have said anything about the new defensive coordinator connecting him to the Minnesota job prior to the hiring.

Cosgrove in an enigma. For most he is remembered as the Husker DC responsible for the #112 ranked D in the country in 07. Yet he also served Alvarez well for 14 years, a couple of BT Championship ings, knows his way around the Rose Bowl and was the UW DC with the #5 ranked D in the country in 99.

Plus his son is on Brewsters current staff.

From what I know, I would rank him about 5 out of 10 as far as qualified candidates go.

Talk to people in Wisc. They also think he is terrible, but would love the Gophs to hire him!! He is only a fair position coach.

Belated welcome to the board Littelbigboy. I am not big fan of the hire as you know, but I think Brew wanted the experience of Cosgrove and put Lee as Co to have a fall back plan. We could also switch up who is calling the D from game to game. As a former college coach I think you would agree how much harder it would be to scout Minnesota. I know you and your mates from 67 don’t like Maturi and probably think he had something to do with this, but if you guys still have faith in Brew lets see how it looks next year.

I guess I don't see the big controversy. The Nebraska D was ranked 56th in ypg in 2006 (they were 26th in 2005). They were 112th in ypg in 2007. Last year with no Cosgrove they were 55th. Other than 112 looking like a serious outlier, what's the beef?

Cosgrove had three very good years and then one bad one. Look at his schedule, though and it is easy to see that he was playing some of the most explosive offenses in the country and did well. Top 50 would have been something we would have killed for each and any of the last eight years, so let's get a bit real, here. Plus he can apparently flat out recruit.

Go gophers! Go Brewster! Oh, please pass another glass of that sweet, sweet Kool Aide.

Top Bottom