Should Iverson be starting?

march madness

Reaction score
Iverson has greatly outplayed Sampson in the last three games. Would starting Iverson light a fire in Sampson?

Iverson is 13-17 on field goals, has 31 pts, and 4 blocks in just 55minutes of play.

Sampson is 9-16 on field goals, has 19pts, and 1 blk in 71 minutes of play.

I think the biggest reason against it is Iverson foul trouble and Sampson's ability to defend away from the basket...pick and rolls. Nobody sets a better pick than Iverson.

I may just be reaching here, but Tubby seems to have made some sort of deal with RSII and RSIII during his recruitment (as coaches often do).

Ralph has started from the day he stepped foot on campus...and will never come off the bench. Just seems to be the way things are...

I could see them both starting next year but I'm pretty sure the line-up won't be changed the rest of this season.

I think it's too late for a change like that. Just get Iverson some more minutes if he keeps it up. No need to start him.

No. Sampson is much more of an offensive threat day to day and has really improved his rebounding. I like Iverson and think he will be a strong player for us as he continues to improve. That being said, I think you play the hot hand. When Iverson gets comfortable he is tough. Tubby probably could have played him more last night.

No simple answer

In general, who knows.... RSIII should probably be starting as he is.

Against MSU, I really think Iverson should be starting just because of how physical Nix and Green have been with the Gopher bigs.

Interesting to see just how much pushing and shoving they allow Nix and Green to do in the paint tonight. That could determine the outcome

If Colt has been doing well off the bench, why change that. I know it sounds a bit silly, because we haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire the last few weeks, but we have won 5 of 7, and going into a 100% must win game isn't the best time to start toying with the rotation.

Colton does not draw the double teams like Ralph.

Also, Colton is often playing against the other team's second stringers.

I agree with The Big L. Let's stick with what works.

Another reason not to start Colton...jump ball to start the game. It is obvious that Ralph has a larger vertical than Iverson, and is also quicker to get off the floor. (We would likely always get the first alternating possession jump ball of the game though...)

It doesn't really matter who starts, because they both are getting a chance to earn their minutes. Play well, and you will play more.

Sampson is a way better player than Iverson. Don't be fooled by one good game where Iverson actually looked respectable. He needs to do that consistently against against good teams. Although, Sampson isn't always on offensively, his D is always there.

Being the starter is not that big of a deal in my opinion. It just means that player is on the floor at the beginning of the game. If Iverson comes off the bench and is playing really well, he'll get his minutes.

I think Colt is doing very well coming off the bench and I would be hesitant to change too much up and potentially mess up any of our rotations. I think a solid starting lineup has been a positive for us this year.

I agree with everyone on Colt coming off the bench. Some people just play better off the bench, psychologically, physically, or matchup-wise. Sometimes it just works. I think it would be best to keep Colt in the second line and if he is doing well, keep in in. That seems to be what's going on and it is working.

Sampson is a way better player than Iverson. Don't be fooled by one good game where Iverson actually looked respectable. He needs to do that consistently against against good teams. Although, Sampson isn't always on offensively, his D is always there.

I think that might be shorting Iverson a bit, hes had a few nice games for us lately, but overall I agree. I think back to the play late against Illinois, where Ralph was patient and calm under pressure, and made that pass to Carter to help us get the W. Not many people on our team would have waited for that play to open up...we need that basketball intelligence and talent on the floor tonight and hope for a good performance. That's what it takes to upset teams.

Colt is still going to be important tonight, especially if Sparty's big boys start throwing their weight around down low. I'm feeling a lot more confident with Colt out there than a month ago. I just hope he stops fouling people with the body while his hands are straight up, and think he is going to get away with it!

Tubby can only start with 5 players. Who starts? NO BFD. Who does what, where, when is what determines the whole game. We get to play 5, opponent gets to play 5. What we need is whoever is on the floor 5 on 5 needs to get 'er done. Go Gophers!!!

I'll be damned, it's already Miller Time!!! :cool03:

I may just be reaching here, but Tubby seems to have made some sort of deal with RSII and RSIII during his recruitment (as coaches often do).

Ralph has started from the day he stepped foot on campus...and will never come off the bench. Just seems to be the way things are...

Post like this make me sick. Tell me, who would change his starting 5 at this time of the year? Please your brain if you have any.

Ralph is an emotional player while Colt is as strong as a player can be. Tubby or any coach in the country would realize that benching Ralph at this point would kill his confidence. It has nothing to do with RSII.

Go Gophers

Post like this make me sick. Tell me, who would change his starting 5 at this time of the year? Please your brain if you have any.

Ralph is an emotional player while Colt is as strong as a player can be. Tubby or any coach in the country would realize that benching Ralph at this point would kill his confidence. It has nothing to do with RSII.

Go Gophers
I'm not saying it's the case with RSII, but if you don't think that coaches have this sort of understanding with players/families across the country, you're sorely mistaken.

I personally don't think he should change his starting lineup at all, I think it's a solid group. "Please use your brain" and don't assume my comments re: RSIII meant I thought he shouldn't be starting. I just said there is no way that RSIII won't start, period.

The most promising part is that both RSIII and Iverson have improved greatly this season. I think they will both be forces next year.

Being the starter is not that big of a deal in my opinion. It just means that player is on the floor at the beginning of the game. If Iverson comes off the bench and is playing really well, he'll get his minutes.

Point well taken. Starting does not necessarily mean what it used to. Total playing time and who is on the court during critical situations is more important.

Top Bottom