Another Myron gem..

Gopherholefan

Reaction score
First, sorry if this has been posted already, but there are a ton of posts after tonights win and I'm not goin through all of them looking. Two good quotes from this article about tonights game.

First is Westbrook when you have to assume he was asked about Damian being left off of the all-defensive team, ""He didn't make it ... I was looked over as well," said Lawrence Westbrook, who was named an All-Big Ten honorable mention by media and coaches. "I think it was a disgrace that me and him weren't on the list. ... So we both got slapped in the face, I feel."

Second is Myron talking about Battle, "With Battle limited by Westbrook's pressure and an apparent ankle injury revealed after the game, the Nittany Lions couldn't keep pace in the second half."

HAHA. He's a beat writer and didn't know of the ankle injury until after the game?? I had to of read that wrong didn't I?

Whole article http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/87399262.html?page=2&c=y

Westbrook had the most confidence defensively tonight that I have ever seen from him. It was obviously because Talor Battle was limping and he knew he could actually stick with a guy for once. It was kind of like watching a hawk circle its wounded prey.

If it takes an injured player to turn up your defensive juices then there is a problem.

I can't believe some of the stuff Westbrook says publicly...I mean even if you think it, actually saying it takes his ego to a whole new level.

Here's another one, presumably talking about his defense: "If people really watch the games and know as much as they think they do, they'd realize I usually play the best perimeter scorer every game, and I more than hold my own," Westbrook said.

Lawrence, what I usually realize is that you often get burned by gambling or plain laziness. Putting you on the All-Defensive team would be like putting Dallas Lauderdale on the All-Offensive team. For God's sakes, Tubby himself called you out 3 weeks ago, and said the reason he put you on the bench was because you were so poor defensively.

Just keep your mouth shut, don't try to force bad shots, and keep up the solid play you've been exhibiting lately. We'll need it if we're going to beat MSU tomorrow.

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure you read that correctly. My god, Westbrook can never seem to answer a question about the team/a teammate without making it about him. I also enjoyed the opening quote about him being a great perimeter defender.

I actually like this from Westbrook if it motivates him.

Westbrook is a terrible team defense guy....(he is a terrible team anything guy)...but since Nolen has been out he has been guarding the best guard from the other team. He has not gotten killed.
Westbrook, in my opinion, is not an all conference player or all defensive team player....but I have no problem with him saying he thinks he is if it means he plays with a chip on his shoulder. This team needs some attitude.

I'm in the minority around here..but I don't think the Gophers would be even sniffing a bid without Westbrook. We need a tough as nails player and he is that guy. He plays solid man to man defense and doesn't loaf around.

I think the Midwestern value types get a little bent out of shape when listening to Westbrook talk about himself. In my opinion, a team of 5 nice guys who want to sing songs around the camp fire will win you nothing. A couple of those guys are important, but in hoops its also nice to have a guy that wants to build the fire, tend to it and be first in line to cook his smore.

A Team of Individuals

The Westbrook quotes in the Pioneer Press today about being disrespected by not making any all-conference teams was laughable. It would be quite fitting if this team makes a run in the Big Ten tourney solely because a bunch of individuals were ticked off that they didn't win individual awards and therefore were finally motivated to play winning basketball.

Agreed. I just think it's more hilarious than anything when he talks.

I'm in the minority around here..but I don't think the Gophers would be even sniffing a bid without Westbrook. We need a tough as nails player and he is that guy. He plays solid man to man defense and doesn't loaf around.

I think the Midwestern value types get a little bent out of shape when listening to Westbrook talk about himself. In my opinion, a team of 5 nice guys who want to sing songs around the camp fire will win you nothing. A couple of those guys are important, but in hoops its also nice to have a guy that wants to build the fire, tend to it and be first in line to cook his smore.

He was acting like a dbag all game towards Battle. Just constant taunting like when he's jumping up and down after a made shot bumping his chest into Battle. I don't know how much of that
was on camera but it made me embarrased for his behavior.

Bull$hit...I want a player who talks smack just to pi$$ people off, and then Hoff, DJ, Devoe, Ralph, Colton and others carry us to victory. Go Gophers!!!!

I agree but only when he shows up to play. Too often this year he has shown too little fire. Need consistency from a senior.

It could just as easily be said that the team would be a shoe in for the tourney without Westbrook. No one can really know. There is plenty of evidence that LW is a locker room cancer (see the incident with AN), there are plenty of boneheaded (and selfish) offensive plays and defensive liabilities. On the other hand, there were a few games where he did take control. Nothing like last season, mind you, but a few.

Top Bottom