2010-11 in-season tourney nuggets

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
3 of the big preseason tourneys recently announced their headliners for next season.

The Coaches vs. Cancer Classic will have Illinois, Maryland, Pitt and Texas.

The CBE will have Duke, Gonzaga, K-State and Marquette.

The Legends Classic willl have Georgia Tech, Michigan, Syracuse and UTEP.

Thanks SS! I'd really like to see the Gophers schedule Marquette in the coming years. They'd be a good preseason test and it's not too far for a lot of Gopher fans to travel.

They've done pretty well this year and even had some close losses in the final seconds. Marquette is bringing in Vander Blue next year as well as another 4-star player from Florida.

Thanks SS! I'd really like to see the Gophers schedule Marquette in the coming years. They'd be a good preseason test and it's not too far for a lot of Gopher fans to travel.

They've done pretty well this year and even had some close losses in the final seconds. Marquette is bringing in Vander Blue next year as well as another 4-star player from Florida.

It's been an amazing year for Marquette. Although it would drive me freaking nuts, I would love to see the Gophers and Warriors play regularly.

You're referring to Jamail Jones... not sure he's quite what I'd call a 4-star player (you're probably basing that off Rivals?), but could become a nice player and is definitely a top 100 guy. 6'6", long, sweet stroke from deep. He's actually from Georgia, but went down to Montverde this season... really a great kid, can't wait for his arrival.

Besides Van and Jamail, we've got guards Reggie Smith (Illinois.. combo guard, hopefully will be able to play some minutes at point for us, athletic freak.. not much over 6'), DJ Newbill (6'3"ish from Philly... Strawberry Mansion) and Jae Crowder (one of the top JUCO beasts out there... 6'6" originally from GA, enjoying a great year at Howard College). Van and Jamail are more widely known, but all three of the others could wind up doing remarkable things in Milwaukee.

But.. that's next year... time to worry about Villanova in about an hour and Penn State tonight.

Don't you guys need some post players?

Ever wonder how some teams are donut teams, and others have too many bigs (north carolina). Most teams in the big ten could trade them a guard for one of their 6'10" + guys. Marquette is one of those teams who hasnt had a true post player in forever, but their guards and small forwards are great!

It's been an amazing year for Marquette. Although it would drive me freaking nuts, I would love to see the Gophers and Warriors play regularly.

You're referring to Jamail Jones... not sure he's quite what I'd call a 4-star player (you're probably basing that off Rivals?), but could become a nice player and is definitely a top 100 guy. 6'6", long, sweet stroke from deep. He's actually from Georgia, but went down to Montverde this season... really a great kid, can't wait for his arrival.

Besides Van and Jamail, we've got guards Reggie Smith (Illinois.. combo guard, hopefully will be able to play some minutes at point for us, athletic freak.. not much over 6'), DJ Newbill (6'3"ish from Philly... Strawberry Mansion) and Jae Crowder (one of the top JUCO beasts out there... 6'6" originally from GA, enjoying a great year at Howard College). Van and Jamail are more widely known, but all three of the others could wind up doing remarkable things in Milwaukee.

But.. that's next year... time to worry about Villanova in about an hour and Penn State tonight.

GW, since you are the resident Marquette expert, any further news on Jerrone Maymon? Did he finally find a school to transfer to, and does that impact Blue coming to Marquette?

GW, since you are the resident Marquette expert, any further news on Jerrone Maymon? Did he finally find a school to transfer to, and does that impact Blue coming to Marquette?

Jeronne enrolled at Tennessee in time to start the spring semester, so he will be able to compete for the Volunteers starting in December of this calendar year. Immediately upon Maymon deciding to head to Knoxville, Van's mother indicated he "Vander is going to Marquette, end of story" and that has certainly held true.

Jeronne was actually mentioned during the broadcast of today's MU/Nova game... Fran Fraschilla said something like, "actually I just don't think he played hard enough for this team" when discussing Jeronne. I think his dad is a complete nut, but I wish the best for Jeronne.

By the way, another former Marquette player apparently posted the following after today's win: "ok buzz I see you keeping marquette relevant. Make me wish I woulda stayed sometimes" - Trevor Mbakwe.

Growing up in milw i always have been a marquette fan, but i would love to see the gophers play them and hopefully beat em

Top Bottom