Is anyone else confused with this team?

Sota1

Reaction score
Based on spurts of excellence this year I would like to think the Gophs have a chance to go deep in the b10 tournament. BUT, after bad losses to Michigan, Indiana, and barely beating Penn State at home, I'm not convinced.
-I would like to think Sampson is on the verge of becoming a major force in college basketball. BUT, he has disappeared in games for no apparent reason.
-I would like to think our defense is strong enough to hold even a very good team in check. BUT, the Illinois game clearly showed this can change from half to half in a game.
-We can play with any team in the conference (except maybe Ohio State and Michigan-for some reason). BUT the poor performances against bad teams this year have me very frustrated.
-We have shown periods of excellence on the offensive end. Getting the ball inside, strong post to post passing, finishing, hitting open easy shots. BUT, then we fall back into the same old, throw the ball around the horn until the shot clock hits "10" and scramble for a poor shot.

This team is Jeckyl and Hyde. Win a big game, lose or play poorly in the next..... It is very difficult to get a feel for how this team is going to play from one game to the next. I want to get excited for this weekend, but I can't muster up the courage based on recent history. I'm still a die hard fan, but my fire is tempered going into this weekend. Going into the tourney on an even keel seems to be my only chance of remaining sane.

A.Teams with tall athletic guards are a problem for us. Westbrook and Hoff can get ineffective in a hurry.
B. We are a slightly better than average team with depth, but no stars, that depends 100% on effort and teamwork. When the effort lags against any team - good or bad- it's a tough day.

A.Teams with tall athletic guards are a problem for us. Westbrook and Hoff can get ineffective in a hurry.
B. We are a slightly better than average team with depth, but no stars, that depends 100% on effort and teamwork. When the effort lags against any team - good or bad- it's a tough day.

Well said.

This is the time of year when the media focuses on teams at the edge of making the tournament or just outside of it. There are lots of stories of disappointing seasons and inexplicable collapses circulating right now, from heavyweights like North Carolina & UCONN, to teams who climbed the polls and fell hard like Texas Tech.

It puts in perspective, for me at least, the incredible job Tubby has done with this distracted season. We've had tough losses and teetered toward disaster but the team has always rallied and fought back. I think Michigan would like to be where we are right now, .500 in conference and a chance to make it to the Dance without having to win the BT tournament.

I like this erratic maddening team. When they play with effort and teamwork they can beat anybody.

Top Bottom