Spartan G Allen Suspended for Friday

rcpratt

Reaction score
Could have big Gopher implications if they can make it past PSU.

http://ow.ly/1g8p8

Junior guard Chris Allen has been suspended for Friday's opening game of the Big Ten Tournament for what MSU coach Tom Izzo said has been the cumulative effect of academic problems.

Allen will be held out of practice indefinitely and will not travel with the team when it leaves for Indianapolis on Thursday.

Izzo indicated that Allen may be allowed to dress for Saturday's game, if the Spartans were to win their first game of the tournament.

That's big. He averages close to 10 a game. He's prob their best three point shooter so our zone will face one less weapon. That said, let's beat Penn state first!

That would make it all the more sickening if we lose to Penn State. Allen is a key cog for the Spartans. It'll hurt the Spartans, no doubt. Lucas and Summers haven't exactly been lighting it up from the outside as of late, either. What scares me about Sparty now is Raymar Morgan is starting to play (to his ability). He's put together three good games in a row, which is unusual for him. Perhaps the senior is smelling the finish line?

Besides, Izzo and Tubby are friends, aren't they? I think Izzo is just doing his part to increase chances that the Big Ten gets a 5th team in the tournament.;)

Sorry to hear that for the Sparty folks happening by here. We know how bad it is to lose an important player to academics.

It does certainly help us though.

"The stars are aligning for us folks!"

My thoughts exactly, but that's also what scares me. Every time the stars have started to align for the Gophers this season, they've found a way to immediately p*ss it away. I hope that trend doesn't continue Thursday with a stinker vs. Penn State.

I hope that trend doesn't continue Thursday with a stinker vs. Penn State.

Positive SS. Think positive.

No threads about Talor Battle beating us by himself. :)

Think positive

A reminder that I need once in a while. Thanks. ... will do.

3 point defense has bothered the Gophers all year long. This could be a huge break.

Lucas is going to score his 15 points. We aren't going to stop that.

What we need to stop is his penetration/kick-out. The rest of the Spartans getting wide open looks is going to be what kills us.

I know Allen is a fine player and all, but I've always felt that he hurts them more than he helps. Sorta like LW for the Gophs (but not to that extreme).

Sorry to hear that for the Sparty folks happening by here. We know how bad it is to lose an important player to academics.

It does certainly help us though.

Allen is not suspended for academic issues...I'm assuming the OP's original source was Rexrode or Lacy. Izzo: "It was an accumulation of things," Izzo said. "I want him to be a better teammate. I want him to spend time with his team. I want him to understand he has an obligation to his team. If we don't understand that ... We are not winning big without everybody. It means he has not bought into obligations that make you a better teammate." This appears to be a basektball-only issue, maybe being late for film session or practice...

I think we will miss Allen more on the defensive side than anywhere...he's been a key stopper for us this year. It will hurt to lose his long range threat as we don't have many guys who can consistently hit the 3...

Yes, I posted this earlier this morning when the only word was that it was academics related. My source was linked in the original post. Izzo did say that academics were part of the reason.

Anyways, it's amazing how many issues the Spartans have had this year. Lucas' "lack of leadership" suspension, Allen's "accumulation of things" suspension, and all of the chatter about Summers talking to an agent and whatever else the team isn't talking about. Not a lot of chemistry in this group.

Good for Izzo. Did the right thing even though it could hurt his team.

Good for Izzo. Did the right thing even though it could hurt his team.

His team is a lock for the tournament no matter what happens on Friday. I am not sure it's that courageous a move. I'll put Tubby benching Westbrook and Nolen for half a key bubble game against A&M in Anaheim against this move any time. What would one more quality win mean to us now?

MSU may be another version of the Gophers this year, but with enough talent to dilute the effects better than we did.

Let's beat Penn State and move on.

Hopefully the players don't get too excited about this and lose focus on the PSU game.

His team is a lock for the tournament no matter what happens on Friday. I am not sure it's that courageous a move. I'll put Tubby benching Westbrook and Nolen for half a key bubble game against A&M in Anaheim against this move any time. What would one more quality win mean to us now?

MSU may be another version of the Gophers this year, but with enough talent to dilute the effects better than we did.

Let's beat Penn State and move on.

While a loss Friday may not hurt them NCAA-wise, it is still a courageous move by Izzo. I don't think any coach wants to mess with a successful team right before tourney time, but Izzo thought it was the right thing to do.

Top Bottom