Minnesota Basketball

AuggieGopher

Reaction score
With the conference tournaments on and what not, I have just been thinking that if we would keep the talent that this great sate has here we would have a damn good basketball team.

Sample lineup

PG-Jordan Taylor (WI)- Kwadzo Ahelebe (UNI)-Al Nolen (U)

SG-Blake Hoffarber (U)- Matt Janning (NE)- Cam Rundels (Wofford)

SF-Ryan Wittman (Cornell)- Jon Leur (WI)- Rodney Williams (U)

PF- Noah Dahlman (Wofford)- Leur (WI)

C- Cole Aldrich (KU)- Jared Bergreen (WI)

Possibilites as well- Diggs (Wofford) Wolters (SDSU)

I know a guy like Cole is a long shot but this is a damn good team to me and better yet some guys with heart.

Would love to see some of the talent in the state stay here!

Go Gophs!

Would love to see some of the talent in the state stay here!

In case you didn't notice some of the talent in the state DID stay here. Nolen, Hoff, Rodney in particular. I think you mean that you'd love to see more of the talent in the state stay home.

Can't say I disagree with your general premise, but continuing the influx of talent to the team is key, and frankly I don't care where it comes from. Canada, Junior College, or Europe. Makes no difference to me. I just want kids who can flat out play in Tubby's system.

I always find these types of posts odd because there are piles of teams that could say this about their in state talent.

That point aside, is this a depth chart or just a list? If it's supposed to be a depth chart, Leuer certainly should be starting ahead of Wittman and/or Dahlman.

Its a depth chart I will agree that Leur could start in front of Wittman (would be an amazing shooter off the bench) but I would not start him over Dahlman. Yes he is undersized 4 but he is the exact glass cleaner that this team is missing much like green of MSU. This team is a top 10 team guaranteed.

Its a depth chart I will agree that Leur could start in front of Wittman (would be an amazing shooter off the bench) but I would not start him over Dahlman. Yes he is undersized 4 but he is the exact glass cleaner that this team is missing much like green of MSU. This team is a top 10 team guaranteed.

You already have Cole Aldrich to clean the glass. A healthy Jon Leuer is one of the top five best players in the Big Ten. There's absolutely no way that he wouldn't start.

5 million people

One difference between our in state talent and other states, is that there is only 1 division 1 basketball school in this state. If Tubby can bring back more respectability; a majority of these players should want to stay home.

You may have the Aldrich's leaving, but the non-McDonald's All Americans, will probably want to play here. I live in Colorado, a state with less division one basketball players and less population. But they have CSU, Colorado, Air Force, and Northern Colorado to vie with for instate recruits. Ditto for Iowa and Wisconsin.

Noah Dahlman starts of Leuer? Come on.....

As far as the rest of those guys on the list go, there are certainly some players that would be nice to have (Leuer, Aldrich, etc), but I would take most of our guys over pretty much everybody on your list. Adding Leuer and Aldrich to the current Gopher squad would be a million times better than the team you listed.

Noah Dahlman starts of Leuer? Come on.....

As far as the rest of those guys on the list go, there are certainly some players that would be nice to have (Leuer, Aldrich, etc), but I would take most of our guys over pretty much everybody on your list. Adding Leuer and Aldrich to the current Gopher squad would be a million times better than the team you listed.

Taylor, you wouldn't want him. He is going to be tough by the time he gets to be a senior. He has improved more than anyone on the Gophers roster.

Taylor, you wouldn't want him. He is going to be tough by the time he gets to be a senior. He has improved more than anyone on the Gophers roster.

Of course he has improved more than anyone on the gophers, because nobody on the Gophers had as bad of a year last year as he did. :D I'm not ripping him completely I would take Taylor over Cobbs, but I would take Nolen and Devoe over Taylor.

PPG AST STL TO FG% 3PT%
Taylor 10.2 3.6 .9 1.2 39.8 31.6
Nolen 6.7 4.6 2.4 1.6 37.0 39.3
Devoe 9.0 3.0 .8 1.8 39.5 37.0

Devoe's numbers are skewed because he didn't start the first half of the year, but I don't think you can look at these and say one guy completely blows out the others. I will say as a tiebreaker I would look at the head to head matchup where Taylor has been owned by anybody playing point guard for the Gophers over the last two years.

Of course he has improved more than anyone on the gophers, because nobody on the Gophers had as bad of a year last year as he did. :D I'm not ripping him completely I would take Taylor over Cobbs, but I would take Nolen and Devoe over Taylor.

PPG AST STL TO FG% 3PT%
Taylor 10.2 3.6 .9 1.2 39.8 31.6
Nolen 6.7 4.6 2.4 1.6 37.0 39.3
Devoe 9.0 3.0 .8 1.8 39.5 37.0

Devoe's numbers are skewed because he didn't start the first half of the year, but I don't think you can look at these and say one guy completely blows out the others. I will say as a tiebreaker I would look at the head to head matchup where Taylor has been owned by anybody playing point guard for the Gophers over the last two years.

Taylor played 32 minutes a game in Big 10 games for a team that went 13-5. I think the Badgers will keep him. Doesn't mean Nolen and Joseph are bad players, but I think the Badgers will keep Taylor.

You can beat the Badgers at home every year as long as the Badgers finish 4 games ahead of the Gophers in the standings. Deal?

I love beating the Badgers as much as anyone but if you dont recognize Jordan Taylor as being a very good basketball player you are clearly not watching enough games. He is currently better offensively than Nolen and 3 times as good on the defensive end as Devoe. I think Devoe is better on the offensive end in certain situaitons but Taylor at this poing is a better overall player. Also, Leur versus Dahlman wouldnt be close. Just my thoughts.

Dahlman would dominate leur on the block and boards.. he's a manchild on the boards and has way more heart then Leur.. Leur is a better perimeter player but with shooters like Hoff and Wittman already spotting up on the perimeter ill take Dahlman at the 4

Dahlman would dominate leur on the block and boards.. he's a manchild on the boards and has way more heart then Leur.. Leur is a better perimeter player but with shooters like Hoff and Wittman already spotting up on the perimeter ill take Dahlman at the 4

You are 110% insane. Leuer arguably has the most polished post moves of anyone in the B10 along with a solid face up jumper and 3 pt ability.

I love beating the Badgers as much as anyone but if you dont recognize Jordan Taylor as being a very good basketball player you are clearly not watching enough games. He is currently better offensively than Nolen and 3 times as good on the defensive end as Devoe. I think Devoe is better on the offensive end in certain situaitons but Taylor at this poing is a better overall player. Also, Leur versus Dahlman wouldnt be close. Just my thoughts.

Never said Taylor wasn't good, just like our guys better. Especially Nolen, even though Nolen isn't much of a scorer. I think if you gave Nolen two guys that could score like Hughes and Leuer he'd look better.

I suppose I could have Taylor on the list on the in-state guys the Gophers would take. I was mostly surprised at all the Wofford, and SDSU guys the original poster mentioned.

I think it is pretty clear you have never seen Leuer play. Which Dahlman are you talking about? The one that rode the pine at MSU for four years or the one at Wofford. If you are talking about the one at Wofford, there is a reason he is there and Leuer is at Wisconsin. Leuer does not play the 3. He plays the 4 and he is a very good rebounder.

Not knowing much about Noah Dahlman, I used the google and found out he is 6-6. That double seals this argument. I'll take a guy who is 6-10 that has post moves, a jumper, and can create off his own dribble any day over a guy that is 6-6 that hasn't made a 3 pt. basket in his entire college basketball career. I'll especially take that extra 4 inches and wingspan in the rebounding column.

You beat me to it. 6-6 PF playing over Leur... great argument.

Not knowing much about Noah Dahlman, I used the google and found out he is 6-6. That double seals this argument. I'll take a guy who is 6-10 that has post moves, a jumper, and can create off his own dribble any day over a guy that is 6-6 that hasn't made a 3 pt. basket in his entire college basketball career. I'll especially take that extra 4 inches and wingspan in the rebounding column.

You think the Badgers will keep Taylor? Thanks for the info. Not to be a dick, but it gets really annoying when you have to defend every Wisconsin related statement on here. I know you hate being told to go away since you're a badger fan, but seriously, of course you aren't going to agree with what people on a MN board have to say about their most hated rival. Of course the statements are going to be biased. I don't mind your contributing on here, but responding to every somewhat negative post related to Wisc is getting pretty annoying, especially now that you always tack on something about Wisc doing better this season.

Taylor played 32 minutes a game in Big 10 games for a team that went 13-5. I think the Badgers will keep him. Doesn't mean Nolen and Joseph are bad players, but I think the Badgers will keep Taylor.

You can beat the Badgers at home every year as long as the Badgers finish 4 games ahead of the Gophers in the standings. Deal?

Boy, if I was a coach, I'd love to coach against you someday if you're making a decision to start Dahlman (either Dahlman) over Jon Leuer. Leuer will be cashing NBA paychecks in a couple of years. No way he isn't a starter on ANY team in the Big Ten, let alone one that can only include Minnesota natives.

I would take a guy with tenacity that uses his frame to max and shows heart over a 6'10" player that floats around the perimeter and gets pushed around on the block.. 6'6'' PF's with tenacity and a knack for the ball are very effective in college ball see: Dejuan Blair.. there are many GREAT college basketball players that never make a dollar in the joke of a league named the NBA. As for coaching my team full of guys that have the tenacity to win would wipe the floor with your squad.

I would take a guy with tenacity that uses his frame to max and shows heart over a 6'10" player that floats around the perimeter and gets pushed around on the block..

I didn't know we switched the conversation to Mike Tisdale....

Again, it just shows you haven't seen Leuer play and if you have, you are clearly missing something. Leuer is a solid post player with a nice face-up game. If you see him floating around the perimeter it's because every player in Bo Ryan's swing offense moves inside and outside. The bigs are often out on the three point line and the guards can often be seen in the post. Leuer certainly isn't looking to take 3's over something in the post.

Wait, did you just compare Noah Dahlman to Dejuan Blair? You need to watch a little more basketball if you are doing that. Blair is currently a complete steal in the NBA Draft. He is a beast. This argument should be over. And part of the reason that Leuer "floats around the perimeter" has to do with Bo Ryan's offensive scheme, in most other systems he would be on the block a lot more and would be posting up and shooting right over Dalhman at 6'6.

false. His post play is marginal at best

On what basis do you make this statement? Maybe you are basing your opinion off of Leuer last year because his post moves were raw at best then, but this year he looks quite polished under the basket.

best lineup without question is

pg Taylor, sg Wittman, sf Leur, pf White, c Aldrich, 6th man Mbakwe

lets end this argument by saying they all suck and a team made up of Minnesota born players would never beat a North Carolina team. A team of all Minnesotans would be much worse than our current Gopher squad.

lets end this argument by saying they all suck and a team made up of Minnesota born players would never beat a North Carolina team. A team of all Minnesotans would be much worse than our current Gopher squad.
Tell you what, nearly any of those MN teams listed could surely beat North Carolina this year...no question, or maybe you haven't seen the Tar Heels play this year?

Is that a serious statement? Are you aware of North Carolina's team this year?

I don't think he meant the North Carolina Tarheels, I think he meant a team with only kids from NC.

Top Bottom