DJ gets snubbed for BT All-Defensive Team

Coaches' Vote

Everyone's saying that the coaches vote for the defensive team. Where was DJ's coach? Was he there? Did he have a say? I am having trouble following Coach Smith on his radio show when he says that he didn't know. How could he not know? Minnesota is 18-12, 9-9 in the conference, and DJ's stats speaks for itself. So were the players chosen based on stats or popularity?

you can play perfect D but if you can't rebound the miss then it goes all for not.

Most of the times he was guarding players outside the perimeter and wasn't playing his position. If you look at the Big Ten Stats Nash is nowhere on the list with the top 30. Overall, DJ's stats says it all. So clarify.

DJ- 4.4 rebounds, 1.9 blocks, 1.9 steals

Nash - 3.8 rebounds, 0.6 blocks, 1.7 steals

Kramer- 3.0 rebounds, 0.4 blocks, 1.7 steals

Tubby on his radio show also mentioned the lack of respect for Minnesota basketball. He didn't provide details.

What makes Minnesota basketball so deserving of respect? If, in general, mediocrity now deserves respect I might be able to buy the argument.

Originally Posted by CollegeBBallFan
Tubby on his radio show also mentioned the lack of respect for Minnesota basketball. He didn't provide details

Sounds like a cop out since he did not step up to the plate to represent his players. Players can't be blamed for substitution patterns, time-outs called when players are in the process of shooting, the unorganized half court offense, etc.

Everyone's saying that the coaches vote for the defensive team. Where was DJ's coach? Was he there? Did he have a say? I am having trouble following Coach Smith on his radio show when he says that he didn't know. How could he not know? Minnesota is 18-12, 9-9 in the conference, and DJ's stats speaks for itself. So were the players chosen based on stats or popularity?

Yes, the coaches vote. They send in a ballot. The votes are then tabulated. I'm sure Tubby voted for Damian as his Def Player of the Yr. He didn't know because he didn't know who the other coaches voted for and the results had not been released. So, when Max told him, he was shocked and pissed.

Well said.

Its obvious they picked 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center for the team - not necessarily the 5 best defensive players.

Kramer & Hughes were the guards
Nash & Johnson were the forwards
Dallas was the center

When you break it down this way the obvious oversight is having Nash on the team rather than Damian. I'd take DJ on D every day of the week and twice on Gamedays over Mr. 1-3-1 Nash.

I hate the senior type of theme, but you are right on. EVER-Y DAY! AND TWICE!

He didn't call any timeouts when players were in the process of shooting. He called a timeout and then Devoe shot uncontested and happened to make it. He also got a great look after the timeout. What was wrong with the substitution patterns once the BT season started?

Originally Posted by CollegeBBallFan
Tubby on his radio show also mentioned the lack of respect for Minnesota basketball. He didn't provide details

Sounds like a cop out since he did not step up to the plate to represent his players. Players can't be blamed for substitution patterns, time-outs called when players are in the process of shooting, the unorganized half court offense, etc.

>>That is ridiculous. Completely, utterly ridiculous.<<

There should be a federal investigation. Of course, many fed investigators are as crooked as the subjects they investigate.

Well, one way to fix 'em all...Take it out on 'em in the BTT. Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy beer. GO GOPHERS!!!

you can play perfect D but if you can't rebound the miss then it goes all for not.

True. BUT if you steal the ball or block a shot that falls in a teammates hands then its BETTER than a rebound, because it means that they didn't even get a shot on goal.

Steals and blocks. Steals and blocks. Hmmm, I wonder who might have had the most combined steals and blocks in the conference...? :confused: I know it wasn't anybody on the All-Defensive Team.

Top Bottom