Trevor delayed until 4/8

Blizzard

Reaction score
102 03/08/2010 REPORT RE: TRIAL DATE SET FOR 04/08/2010 AT 09:00
101 03/08/2010 REPORT RE: STATUS SET FOR 04/08/2010 AT 09:00

Not that it's any surprise I guess.

Sid continues to speculate it will be dropped

Mbakwe in Miami
Trevor Mbakwe, who has practiced with the Gophers basketball team all season but wasn't permitted to play because of legal problems, is in Miami, where his case might be tried this month or, more likely, could be dropped. Mbakwe is accused of felony assault while a member of the Miami Dade Junior College team last season.

I hope he hasn't flown down there 3 or 4 times just to have them delay it (whether it is his doing or not). This would be quite a boon next year if he was back. Two years of Mbakwe, Sampson and Iverson down low would make our post game pretty formidable, IMO.

My guess is that the prosecution is having one hell of a bad time, so they request a continuance.

My guess is that the prosecution is having one hell of a bad time, so they request a continuance.

The reason for this case not going to trial as of yet is a result of the defense's wishes more than anything. Trevor's attorney indicated more than half a year ago that they would not go to trial during the season. Much of the defense's case is based on an alibi defense placing him at a party with a bunch of guys that are currently playing basketball and going to school all over the country.

Per Samms (Mbakwe's attorney) back in August: "We won't be going to trial during the season... I'll talk to you in 2010."

This matter remains very serious and potentially life changing for Mbakwe (and by life changing I'm not talking about being required to sit on the bench and not play college ball for a year)... if it ever does go to trial, remember that anything is possible when a jury is involved.

GW...""...remember that anything is possible when a jury is involved.""

I know that, GW. I have served on more than one jury. I will leave it at that.

What is the difference between these 2 cases: Claiborne punches a cab driver and Trevor (maybe) punches a girl on a bike? Claiborne plays the whole year pleads to a misdemenor and Mbakwe sits out for a whole year and waits to go to trial.

What is the difference between these 2 cases: Claiborne punches a cab driver and Trevor (maybe) punches a girl on a bike? Claiborne plays the whole year pleads to a misdemenor and Mbakwe sits out for a whole year and waits to go to trial.

Um, didn't you (at least in part) answer your own question? I don't know anything about Clairborne, but apparently he:

"pleads to a misdemenor" (sic)

I don't recall TM doing this.

Does anyone know what players they are waiting for?

I think they also could be waiting on Trevor's coach from Miami-Dade. He's an assistant at Memphis now and was pretty adamant that he would not be able to testify during the season.

just to clarify "claiborne" is the fat-arse lineman from ioweee football. apparently if you play bcs level college sports and are going to be accused of a crime (whether you did it or not....and claiborne did) then you should do in the state of iowa. guys down there seem to get away with just about anything and rarely do their iowa coaches or the AD do anything about it.

on a related note. i read recently that there is a state rep in iowa (who also played college ball for the ioweee hogeyes) that feels the same way about this crap. apparently he thinks there needs to be some changes made by the board of regents of the iowa university systems to start demanding some of these iowa athletes actuallly be held accountable for what they get arrested for and actually have to start missing REAL time during the sports season, which does not seem to be the case now for 99% of them.

Clayborn was never charged with a felony. He was accused of basically an open hand slap on a cab driver's cheek after the cab driver called him the N Word. There was no serious injury. Clayborn was originally charged with misdemeanor assault. He pled it down to disorderly conduct.

Trevor has been charged with a felony. Whomever did it, the fact of the matter remains that the victim suffered a broken cheekbone which required surgery and medical care, as well as she alleges the assailant tried to pull her pants down.

Had Trevor been charged with misdemeanor assault for slapping a cab driver, he'd have played this year.

The U of M protocol on felony charges is different.

Clayborn was never charged with a felony. Trevor has been charged with a felony. The U of M protocol is different with felony charges. Had Trevor been charged with what Clayborn was charged with then it is likely that Trevor would be playing.

i hear ya. but, i guess my point was more that the whole freaking system (college town police included) in one big frickin' joke.

Clayborn was never charged with a felony. He was accused of basically an open hand slap on a cab driver's cheek after the cab driver called him the N Word. There was no serious injury. Clayborn was originally charged with misdemeanor assault. He pled it down to disorderly conduct.

Trevor has been charged with a felony. Whomever did it, the fact of the matter remains that the victim suffered a broken cheekbone which required surgery and medical care, as well as she alleges the assailant tried to pull her pants down.

Had Trevor been charged with misdemeanor assault for slapping a cab driver, he'd have played this year.

The U of M protocol on felony charges is different.

Huh? You are actually believing that lame excuse with Clayborn? He pulled out the race card to get the sentence reduced. If Clayborn believed that him smacking the cabbie was because he called him a name, why did he flee the scene and then deny he even did it until witnesses came forward? This is lame.

The Minnesota Daily reports that all depositions have been taken for Trevor's trial. The Miami-Dade spokesperson said that a trial date will be set in April.

minn

Huh? You are actually believing that lame excuse with Clayborn? He pulled out the race card to get the sentence reduced. If Clayborn believed that him smacking the cabbie was because he called him a name, why did he flee the scene and then deny he even did it until witnesses came forward? This is lame.

Race card? I assume you were not present so you really have no idea what transpired between the cabbie and Clayborn.

I don't either, but I wouldn't deny the possibility of the N word being involved... or not.

Regardless of that issue, as others have mentioned, a male slapping a male is significantly different than what Trevor is accused of.

I see. So every time a black gets accused of punching someone they can say he called me a racial slur? I am not saying what Clayborn does rises to the level of what TM did. Where did I say that? I am saying TJ is saying that Clayborn's account is what happened without even knowing the cabbies side? Bottom line is Clayborn punched a defenseless man sitting in a cab threw the window? If Clayborn did not have violence on his mind why did he exit the car to go back to confront the cab driver? All I am saying is why should I believe what TJ is saying? I don't.

I see. So every time a black gets accused of punching someone they can say he called me a racial slur? I am not saying what Clayborn does rises to the level of what TM did. Where did I say that? I am saying TJ is saying that Clayborn's account is what happened without even knowing the cabbies side? Bottom line is Clayborn punched a defenseless man sitting in a cab threw the window? If Clayborn did not have violence on his mind why did he exit the car to go back to confront the cab driver? All I am saying is why should I believe what TJ is saying? I don't.

You're the one who talked about the witnesses. Those witnesses apparently back Clayborn's account. The police report apparently states that the cabbie was blocking the road. Clayborn was trying to get to practice. He asked the cabbie to move. Honked his horn. The Cabbie calls him the N Word and Clayborn walks over, reaches into the window and gives him a hard slap. Words are exchanged, the cab moves, Clayborn goes to practice. Several days later the cabbie goes to the cops. Clayborn is charged with a misdemeanor. He later pleads it down to a disorderly conduct.

Look, Iowa City is not a place that has been kind to athletes who break the law. If there was more to it, this would have gone to court. Kirk Ferentz has given some sort of suspension to all of the guys he's had that have gotten into trouble, including his own son. He didn't here. There's a reason for that. Not saying what Clayborn did was right, but there was provocation. The cabbie was not innocent here. Clayborn got his penalty and fine, his record will not be clean.

I want to get this straight about Clayborn because the misinformation on here is incredible.

http://http://www.fanhouse.com/news/main/adrian-clayborn-charged/391726

First of all, unless Iowa has practice at 1:00 am, Clayborn was not going to practice. He was probably heading home from a night of drinking. Second, the witnesses said Clayborn walked BACK after the cabbie honked at Clayborn's car and that Clayborn hit him through the window. Witnesses also included Shonn Greene who probably backed up Clayborns claim of a racial slur. Other witness probably contradicted those by Clayborn's teammates. That is why the plea bargain. Clayborn fled the scene.

I want to get this straight about Clayborn because the misinformation on here is incredible.

He was probably heading home from a night of drinking....Witnesses also included Shonn Greene who probably backed up Clayborns claim of a racial slur. Other witness probably contradicted those by Clayborn's teammates. That is why the plea bargain.

Hilarious that you 'want to get this straight', then go on to say 'probably' 90 times in a single paragraph. Yeah, you sure have all the facts.

At any rate, Trevor's case has nothing to do with any other person's case - completely different and any suggestion that Clayborn and Mbakwe's criminal matters are similar or the same is ridiculous.

I want to get this straight. Maturey was <b>probably</b> involved in Clairborn's plea bargain. Why does Mattouree hate Minnesota sports so much?? Mattchurey <b>probably</b> should be fired. But he <b>probably</b> won't because McKinley Boston is a pussy.

Hilarious that you 'want to get this straight', then go on to say 'probably' 90 times in a single paragraph. Yeah, you sure have all the facts.

At any rate, Trevor's case has nothing to do with any other person's case - completely different and any suggestion that Clayborn and Mbakwe's criminal matters are similar or the same is ridiculous.

The facts are in the article. TJ was wrong about the practice. Wrong about the car and wrong about the punch in the car window. I never suggested that TM's case was similar to Clayborns. If I did, please point it out. I am saying that TJ's representation of what happened in the Clayborn incident are wrong. That ok with you?

Top Bottom