#1 Hopkins vs. #2 Henry Sibley - Friday, January 9

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Friday night's match-up between #1 Hopkins and #2 Henry Sibley will be broadcast live on the Minnesota Sports Broadcast Network, available online on their website at:

www.mnsportsnetwork.com

Any thoughts on this game? Anybody planning on attending? We will have an FM transmitter at the game, so any fans that will be attending will be able to listen to our feed of the game though a walkman, if interested.

We will also have Saint Thomas Academy hosting Tartan on January 9th, as well as the Minnetonka-Hopkins boys basketball game on January 13.

It will be interesting to see how Hopkins does against pretty damn good team in Sibley. Possible finals matchup.

Hopkins by at least 15

Sibley is a good team and I hope they win, but the Hopkins roster is like Ohio State and Michigan football rosters in the 1960s. They have loaded up with so many great recruits that nobody has anywhere close to their talent. It wouldn't shock me if they lost focus somewhere along the line this year and dropped a game, but they will be ready to go against Sibley. The Sibley guards will get eaten up.

Having not seen Hopkins this year (and having seen Sibley several times), I'm looking forward to seeing how they match up. As you've said, guard play may very well decide things, but Sibley's height and length could be match-up problems for Hopkins as well. Either way, should be a great game.

Hopkins does have a 6'8" Royve White and a 6'8" Broghammer

Yes, but Sibley's got 7'0" Krueser, 6'8" Halvorson, and 6'7" Bruesewitz, and 6'8" Rostampour...I think the key, like you said, is guard play, but it'll be fun to watch down below as well.

I think this has the potential to be a great basketball game as both teams are very well coached and play tenacious defense; but would not be surprised if hopkins won this one by 20 or so. After seeing both of these teams play a few times this year it is safe to say that this game is going to come down to backcourt play and depth, sibley doesn't have either.

I see Hopkins turning up the pressure and forcing alot of turnovers in the backcourt, very similar to what memorial did to Sibley in the gatorade last weekend. If I was Sibley I would play Bruesewitz at the point forward as he is there best ball handler and decision maker, and play a lineup of:

Bruesewitz - point forward
hernandez - 2
halvorson - 3
Rostampour - 4
Kreuser - 5
(no rest for these 5)
throw up a big zone, make hopkins beat you from 3, and take your chances.

bruesewitz vs white (slight advantage white)
Halvorson vs Lockett (huge advantage lockett)
Hernandez vs Cowles (huge advantage cowles)
Kreuser vs Broghammer (push)
Sibley Gaurds vs Hopkins gaurds (overwhelming advantage hopkins)
Sibley Bench vs Hopkins bench (overwhelming advantage hopkins)

Hopkins is just to good and to deep, Hopkins by 23.

Go Hopkins

Henry Sibley has that loser on the team that is going to Wisconsin.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruesewitz is a good kid and good player. He may not have the physical abilities of Royce White, but he's showing this year that he absolutely belongs at the high major level. Should be a great game tonight, hopefully White and Bruesewitz spend some time tonight guarding each other.

Maroon Five

It's early in the season. You should save some of your zingers for down the road. What if you run out?

Is anyone else planning on going? What is the ticket situation like?

we will be there at 5:30 for teh JV game (per the AD's suggestion)
tickets went on sale yesterday at noon. sounds like they are expecting 3500 people, and the parking lot at sibley can accomodate 350 vehicles, parking could be an issue.

If you do end up heading to the game, you can bring your Walkman or hand-held radio and listen to our broadcast live by tuning in to 107.5 FM from the arena, in case anyone's interested. Again, if you're not headed to the game, you can catch it on our website at www.mnsportsnetwork.com, as mentioned above.

Hopkins up

Hopkins up by 10 at halftime.

Does anyone know when the tickets sold out? I got there 1:20 before game time and was turned away. Pretty disappointing but I guess that's what you get when you don't know tickets were sold in advance.

There were three technical fouls, all on Hopkins. Coach Ken Novak Jr. got one for disagreeing with the officials on a rules interpretation, Lockett got one for slapping the backboard and White got the third one. After blocking a dunk attempt by Bruesewitz (and being called for a foul), White pounded his chest and was T'd up.

not again...

not again...

Not to condone the behavior, but don't you think if it was anybody else they would have let it go? Every referee in the state knows who Royce is and are looking for reason to give him a technical. Not fair, but he made his bed and has to sleep in it.

Yeah, something you don't see from players all the time. Tim Tebow is a character issue now too after getting a personal foul in the NC.

Hopkins won by 11. They had a double digit lead most of the first half but Sibley cut it to 4 mid way through the second, but got some big steals and easy baskets late for the win. I'm usually pretty hard on royce but I wasn't that upset by the T tonight, as said earlier, if it was anybody else it would not of been called, it was a reputation call, which royce has unfortunately earned.

Nobody on either team really had a great game, Cowles hit five straight threes at the end of the first and beginning of the second but those we're his only points, Broghammer had a nice game but I still wonder about him in the Big East, just doesn't have the athleticism. Lockett really struggled shooting but was his defense was outstanding, Royce had his usual solid game, but needs to rebound better.

Sat with Ole and he took some pretty good notes so i will let him give the recap on Sibley and Brueswitz.

I will say that Jake Krueser had the best game I've ever seen him play, had him with 10 points and 10 rebounds and even though he is still a stick, he mixed it up with the big boys. when he starts to add some muscle, look out.

Blake was the only Gopher player or coach at the game, wolves assistant Ed Pinkney also was there.

Clearly the best two teams in the state and it's not close. Not sure how the brackets will work out but hopefully htese two will meet for the state championship.

How is it possible to run out of material when you are talking about Wisconsin? I mean seriously.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few extra notes on the game...

-The game sold out before halftime of the JV game, which would have probably been about 1:15 before the game began. I went to get a water at the concession stand at that time, and the line was 40-deep. There was also a line at the men's bathroom, which tells you the size of the crowd

-The attendance was just under 3,000. Other places reported that the gym held 4,000, but that was overstated...it holds about 2,800, and they had every bit of that there.

-Sibley had 14 turnovers in the first half, and allowed eight offensive rebounds in the half. Yet, they trailed by just 10 at the half.

-Sibley also went just 15-28 from the free-throw line. They lost by 11.

-Hopkins went 25-30 from the line, making their first 15 free-throws of the night.

-This was just the second time this season that Hopkins had been held under 79 points this year.

Not the best game for Bruesewitz or Sibley. As a team, I thought Sibley did a pretty reasonable job defending Hopkins, but Hopkins got too many easy shots off turnovers, espeically in the first half. Sibley fought hard to the end, but they could never get out of the hole Hopkins put them in during the first half.

Bruesewitz was productive, I had 15 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks, but he really struggled shooting the ball. A few forced shots, but mostly just one of those nights where you can't get the ball to go in. He was also a little loose with the ball in the first half and had 3-4 turnovers. I thought he did a better job in the second, where he seemed to be Sibley's primary PG. Royce is a stud offensively, but I thought Bruesewitz did a solid job staying in front. That said, there was a play early in the second half where Bruesewitz seemed to have baseline shut off, but Royce was able to sneak under him for a hoop. Very nice play by Royce. Bruesewitz's defense on Broghammer was better, and he slowed him down quite a bit in the second half.

I would guess that Royce and Mike will match up a number of times in the coming years in Big 10 play, hopefully they get one more opportunity on the HS level.

The state tournament will be reseeded, so if both teams make it out of their sections they can be put opposite each other. The only trouble with Hopkins is that they've had trouble getting out of their section, and the cast of characters waiting is daunting. Minnetonka (the Royals' playoff Kryptonite) is still there, and Wayzata is no tomato can.

When did Novak draw the T? If it wasn't in the first two minutes, chances are the refs had enough of him yapping at them.

If memory serves me correctly, Henry Sibley has the larger backboards with 3-4" of additional glass below the rim holder, similar to what you have at The Barn. If you look most other places, the backboard is cut off at the same level as the bottom of the rim holder.

As for slapping the backboard, it depends on when the backboard gets slapped. If in the process of trying to blocking a shot, no problem. Rule 10-3-4 in the NFHS rule book says the following about when to issue a technical foul for slapping the backboard:

A player shall not illegally contact the backboard/ring by:
a. Placing a hand on the backboard/ring to gain an advantage
b. Intentionall slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while the try is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

MaroonFive

Well said Maroon Five.

My nephew pointed out to me that "Badger" begins with the word BAD and "Wisconsin" ends with the word SIN. How someone can refute the clear evidence that the Badgers are evil is beyond me. :)

Lockett's T was a bad call, he was attempting to block a shot and just missed it when he hit the backboard. It should of just been a goaltending call. It was the beginning of a series of odd calls that set Novak off. For such a big game, two of the refs looked like they we're about 15. It was a pretty physical game and some questionable calls both ways but in the end I would say for a high school game, the refs actually did a nice job.

This game would have been a great game to have scheduled for the Sports Pavilion on the U of M campus. I was turned away as were many other people. The Pavilion holds around 5500 and there were well over 3000 fans inside the gym and quite a few fans left out in the cold.

Top Bottom