A Question for FOT

rrjackIII

Reaction score
Or any other Tubby Fan who has followed him closely over the years before coming to MN.

FOT - I know you tend to rely a lot on stats to make your points in defending Tubby.

However, setting aside stats for the moment, can you say whether Tubby has had a similar year to this one in his past coaching career. His team has played pretty well on occasion - at times worthy of a top 3 slot in the Big 10. At other times they look and play like they belong in the 11 spot in the Big 10. Even under Monson I don't think I have seen such inconsistency. At least with Dan I never expected much. We occasionally would get more than we expected Grier Hagen Arob Lawson Stamper. But usually we underperformed. But I do not remember a Monson year similar to this - with a few unexpected highs and a series of definite lethargic lows.

Anything in Tubby's past that you can remember that would be similar to this year.

Clearly you can have a bad year once in a while (see UNC etc) so I continue to look forward to Tubby's future with the Gophers. But did he have any real clunkers in his past that you can easily throw out of his resume? Did he then bounce back with a better more consistent team performance the following year?

Also, if you know, is Tubby still head of the NABC. Does this take a lot of his time? Could this have added to the many distractions he has had to face this year?

Or any other Tubby Fan who has followed him closely over the years before coming to MN.

FOT - I know you tend to rely a lot on stats to make your points in defending Tubby.

However, setting aside stats for the moment, can you say whether Tubby has had a similar year to this one in his past coaching career. His team has played pretty well on occasion - at times worthy of a top 3 slot in the Big 10. At other times they look and play like they belong in the 11 spot in the Big 10. Even under Monson I don't think I have seen such inconsistency. At least with Dan I never expected much. We occasionally would get more than we expected Grier Hagen Arob Lawson Stamper. But usually we underperformed. But I do not remember a Monson year similar to this - with a few unexpected highs and a series of definite lethargic lows.

Anything in Tubby's past that you can remember that would be similar to this year.

Clearly you can have a bad year once in a while (see UNC etc) so I continue to look forward to Tubby's future with the Gophers. But did he have any real clunkers in his past that you can easily throw out of his resume? Did he then bounce back with a better more consistent team performance the following year?

Also, if you know, is Tubby still head of the NABC. Does this take a lot of his time? Could this have added to the many distractions he has had to face this year?

Sorry for the delay in replying. Tubby's only "clunker" record was 15-14 in his second year at Tulsa. He followed that with back-2-back Sweet 16's there.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/teamslist.html

It reminds me of 2000 at UK. That team lost Michael Bradley and Ryan Hogan (to transfer) and then key starter Desmond Allison late in the season. They really struggled down the stretch.

In another way it reminds me of 2002 at UK. That team couldn't hold a lead in the second half.

I doubt NABC takes any of his time during the season.

As FOT said, some might say this season reminds them of 2002 Kentucky. That team had chemistry issues and was nicknamed "Team Turmoil" by the locals in Kentucky. It struggled with leads late in games. They, too, had legal issues before the season ever began. In some ways it has to remind Tubby of this Gopher team that has had legal and academic issues, chemistry flaws, bad luck, etc.

His Kentucky Team Turmoil did have a bevy of talent, though, and overcame the issues to have a pretty good year (Sweet 16), although in Kentucky it was considered an underachieving club.

Kentucky Team Turmoil

And, outside of the horrible Michigan game the other night, this Gopher team (IMHO) had recovered by stringing together five pretty decent games.

As FOT said, some might say this season reminds them of 2002 Kentucky. That team had chemistry issues and was nicknamed "Team Turmoil" by the locals in Kentucky. It struggled with leads late in games. They, too, had legal issues before the season ever began. In some ways it has to remind Tubby of this Gopher team that has had legal and academic issues, chemistry flaws, bad luck, etc.

His Kentucky Team Turmoil did have a bevy of talent, though, and overcame the issues to have a pretty good year (Sweet 16), although in Kentucky it was considered an underachieving club.

Kentucky Team Turmoil

And, outside of the horrible Michigan game the other night, this Gopher team (IMHO) had recovered by stringing together five pretty decent games.

2002 may have been his most talented team (ever). 7 HS A-A on the roster. Prince, Bogans, Hayes, Daniels, Fitch all made NBA off that roster.

Thanks - appreciate the historical perspectives.

2002 may have been his most talented team (ever). 7 HS A-A on the roster. Prince, Bogans, Hayes, Daniels, Fitch all made NBA off that roster.

True. But, read through that recount of the Team Turmoil season that I linked and there are a lot of similarities with what happened to that team in KY and what is happening this year in MN. Again, the talent level is totally different, but with the chaos, legal issues, injuries, turmoil, late game meltdowns, etc., I could see how Tubby might feel a little this year like he did that year (in relative terms, of course).

True. But, read through that recount of the Team Turmoil season that I linked and there are a lot of similarities with what happened to that team in KY and what is happening this year in MN. Again, the talent level is totally different, but with the chaos, legal issues, injuries, turmoil, late game meltdowns, etc., I could see how Tubby might feel a little this year like he did that year (in relative terms, of course).

Actually some friends of mine (from my hometwon) have a son who played on that 2001-02 UK team so I have a second hand, insiders view of what happened. The Jon Scott write-up "sugar coats" how bad it really was.

Tubby booted a few off that team, added a couple of missing parts, and proceeded to go 87-15 with UK the next 3 seasons.

Actually some friends of mine (from my hometwon) have a son who played on that 2001-02 UK team so I have a second hand, insiders view of what happened. The Jon Scott write-up "sugar coats" how bad it really was.

Tubby booted a few off that team, added a couple of missing parts, and proceeded to go 87-15 with UK the next 3 seasons.

Here's hoping Tubby pulls another rabbit out of the hat and does the same at Minnesota the next three years!!

Top Bottom