Ronnie Wingo Visit set

If we get him, it will be because of Brew+Minneapolis. Wingo is from STL and his other 4 visits are to schools in the boonies. Let's hope for a heatwave. Think Mason would have gotten this guy in for a visit?

Actually, Mason might have. After all, he did recruit 4 star Lawrence Maroney from, where else, St Louis, MO. ;)

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that Wingo was going to be moved to OLB in college. Is this changed now and he is going to stick at RB?

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that Wingo was going to be moved to OLB in college. Is this changed now and he is going to stick at RB?

Most schools have been trying to recruit him as a LB rather than a RB because he is pretty tall for a RB. I could be wrong but I think the Gophers are one of the teams telling him that we would let him try to be a RB and that is one of the reasons he is interested in Minnesota. If he comes here and falls on the depth chart he could still be moved to LB. I'm blanking on his name, and I don't care to look it up, but Purdue did that with one of their 4 star RB's that fell behind classmate Kory Sheets and developed in to a very good LB.

If we get him, it will be because of Brew+Minneapolis. Wingo is from STL and his other 4 visits are to schools in the boonies. Let's hope for a heatwave. Think Mason would have gotten this guy in for a visit?

Telling him he can play RB and him believing that's the case would likely be another big factor. A lot of the schools after him want him as a LB.

To be fair to Mason, he seemed to do alright with a 4 star back from that area, correct?

A certain Lawrence Maroney.

Edit:
Sorry Digger! Didn't see you already posted this!

i almost forgot that Mason brought in 1 four-star athlete during his 10 years, kind of ironic it was from that area (but not that ironic)

4 stars under mason

Alex Daniels and Brandon Owens were 4 stars

Alex Daniels and Brandon Owens were 4 stars

Owens was 5 stars (#1 rated Safety) on Rivals and 3 stars (#18 rated safety) on Rivals. Daniels was indeed a 4 star (rated higher than Lauranitis) and Paris Hamilton was the other 4 star under Mason. They didn't have Rivals yet but Tapeh would likely have been a high 3 star or low 4 star too.

thanks, I now remember Owens was 5 stars. That was really a tragedy about his shoulder.

Isn't 6'03" a bit tall for a Running Back?
Especially since a lot of guys grow another inch or two in college?

It is tall. The only tall RB that comes to mind is Eddie George, who was also 6-3.

Hey, if he didn't work out as a RB, there's always safety or OLB. :)

Don't know if he's any good, but his name just rolls off the tongue. Let's get him.

Don't know if he's any good, but his name just rolls off the tongue. Let's get him.

The name's cool allright. And if he ever got the chance to throw some passes, the announcer could say "And Ronnie Wingo'd another one."

Hey, if he didn't work out as a RB, there's always safety or OLB. :)

Exactly. Most schools are projecting him at LB, he played TE at the Army AA game and at times they split him out like a WR. There aren't very many athletes that are 6'3" 212 lbs and run a 4.4 40 yard dash. That is receiver speed in the body of a big safety or undersized LB. In watching him he definitely doesn't look like a WR, I think TE would be wasting his abilities and I would project him at either a big RB or an outstanding OLB that can also play safety. He is similar to Keanon Cooper in last year's class except 2 inches taller, 20 lbs heavier, and .05 seconds faster in the 40.

He wants to play RB and we are going to give him that chance which is why he is considering Minnesota. However, I would rather see him fall down the RB depth chart and end up at LB because I am drooling over the thought of having 4 4-star LB's line up next to each other in 2010 (w/ projected size & speed):
WLB: Keanon Cooper 6'0", 225 lbs, 4.45
MLB: Sam Maresh 6'2", 250 lbs, 4.65
SLB: Ronnie Wingo, Jr. 6'2", 230 lbs, 4.40
On paper this would be the best linebacking corp Minnesota has ever had in my lifetime and if they perform as projected I would put this linebacking corp up against anybody in the Big Ten...including both schools that call themselves Linebacker U.

Even the back ups: Spencer Reeves (OLB) 4.5, Gary Tinsley (MLB/OLB) 4.6, and Brent Singleton (OLB) 4.58, all 3 stars, can fly and would provide great depth and you can add to that list Ryan Grant (MLB?) and Mike Rallis (SLB) who will probably being moved to OLB by then.

If Wingo works out at RB then we still have a deep LB corp and with Lipscomb & Wingo sharing carries we would project to have a running back tandem like Maroney & Barber.

Any info. on how Wingo's visit to Arkansas went? There's an article about it on Rivals, but I know many of us here are not subscribers. Anything wrong with someone briefly summarizing that article?

Any info. on how Wingo's visit to Arkansas went? There's an article about it on Rivals, but I know many of us here are not subscribers. Anything wrong with someone briefly summarizing that article?

At http://nwanews.com/blogs/slophouse/, said that Arkansas had 19 recruits in this weekend and Wingo was their top target. They all attended the Arkansas - Mississippi State BB game. Another site http://blogs.arkansasonline.com/recruiting/?p=1264#comments said that Wingo will only consider schools that will give him a real shot at running back.

I think we still have a good shot, especially if we are targeting him as a running back and with our new power running game, we should have enough plays for him. It will help if we have our new OC on staff by the time he gets here.

Too bad Wingo wasn't here for the Minnesota / Penn State basketball game. The Gophers played their best game in years.

Top Bottom