Myron blog

Xtreme

Reaction score
On his blog he says Unless they can win out and seize one or two key wins in the Big Ten tournament, they'll end up in the NIT.

If we win out we would finish 11-7 with wins over Butler, Ohio State, Illinois, Purdue and Wisconsin. One or two tournament wins on top of that?

On his blog he says Unless they can win out and seize one or two key wins in the Big Ten tournament, they'll end up in the NIT.

If we win out we would finish 11-7 with wins over Butler, Ohio State, Illinois, Purdue and Wisconsin. One or two tournament wins on top of that?

This has been discussed a lot. I would say no. If we win out, we're in. The only exception is if we are still the #6 seed. Then we would need to win the 6/11 game in the BTT. SS agrees with me. Suffice to say if you have to choose betwee SS and Myron P Metcalf on this subject, choose the former. FWIW though, Joe Linardi has comments in Marcus's blog at PP that seem to imply we need to win out and then some as well. But I can't see a 20-10, 11-7 Big 10 team that loses a 4/5 game against say Wisconsin in the BTT getting left out.

Yep, I agree with him. Must W out AND then W 1 or 2 in Big 10 tourney. 22+ W on March 14 = NCAA bid. Anything less = maybe. Anything under 20 W = nope UNLESS Gophers W the B10T.

They would then also have a 'strong finish' which the committee likes. The problem is they have not come close to showing they are capable of winning out.

He's wrong- 11-7 is in. But it doesn't matter - winning out is not in the cards. 10-8 means you need two W's in the BTT.

Yep, I agree with him. Must W out AND then W 1 or 2 in Big 10 tourney. 22+ W on March 14 = NCAA bid. Anything less = maybe. Anything under 20 W = nope UNLESS Gophers W the B10T.

Myron doesn't even agree with you. He said anything less = NIT, no maybe.

Get to Saturday in Indy

We are a stubborn bunch, still hoping against hope that the Gophers win out these last 6, despite all evidence (their play) pointing to the contrary!

I'm looking at things differently now. Sometimes you have to reset your goals. Re-group, re-focus, don't want to see any more (lack of) efforts like we had in the Michigan game. Play good ball down the stretch, win or lose, so that at least there's a glimmer of hope that a run in Indy is possible.

Get to Saturday (the semis); that's now my goal for the Gophers. That would require beating one team we should/could beat and one we we're not supposed to beat (in the quarters). If you can get to the semis, like we did two years ago, then you're within sniffing distance of the automatic bid. ... and only one day away from being the potential bid-stealer that forces all bubble teams across the country to squirm. That would be a nice role reversal for us.

Get to the semis.

If we win our last 6 and end up 11-7 with a 6-0 finish to the season, we will 99.999999% make the tourney. That would mean huge quality wins over Purdue and Wisconsin, and 2 more road wins, one of them also very quality. Especially with the way other bubble teams have been playing over the last week (A-10, Big East, SEC). The only we would have to sweat on Selection Sunday, is if there is a huge number of upsets in the little tourneys (Northern Iowa loses, Gonzaga loses, Butler loses, a lesser team from the Mountain West wins, maybe Siena, maybe Old Dominion,)

10 - 8?

If we went 5 -1 the rest of the way (I don't think that we are capable) with wins against both Wisconsin and Purdue, why wouldn't we get in? 10 - 8 usually means you are in or on the bubble, and we would have four wins against teams in or hovering around the top 15 in Wisconsin, Butler, Ohio St., and Purdue. Assuming that we don't blow the 6 - 11 games in the Big Ten Conference, I would think that's enough.

If we went 5 -1 the rest of the way (I don't think that we are capable) with wins against both Wisconsin and Purdue, why wouldn't we get in? 10 - 8 usually means you are in or on the bubble, and we would have four wins against teams in or hovering around the top 15 in Wisconsin, Butler, Ohio St., and Purdue. Assuming that we don't blow the 6 - 11 games in the Big Ten Conference, I would think that's enough

It would be enough. While its hard for any of us to imagine it happening..if it does, it means our RPI will be pretty good (probably 40's). It also implies a strong finish. RPI in the 40's with quality wins such as you mentioned would put us on the "last four in" ticket. That said, a first round egg in the BTT could push us out again so I think 10-8 and one win in the BTT would do it. That said, lets win a frickin game before we start "you know what" to our "you know what".

Yes, one at a time boys and girls, just one at a time.

Top Bottom