Shooter Now: Tubby Smith says Gophers are 'going in the right direction'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shooter Now: Tubby Smith says Gophers are 'going in the right direction'
By Charley Walters

Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith reacts as he looks at a scoreboard during the second half of an NCAA college men's basketball game against Northwestern in Evanston, Ill., Sunday, Feb. 14, 2010. Northwestern won in overtime 77-74. (Associated Press: Nam Y. Huh)Tubby Smith-coached basketball teams — Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky and the University of Minnesota — have won at least 20 games during each of the last 16 seasons. That feat — the nation's longest active 20-victory streak — is in jeopardy this season.

But Smith isn't hanging his head.

"You still come out every day," Smith said. "If people don't make the call, they don't get the sale, they don't get the commission. What are you going to do? You going to quit?

"You come back and you work even harder. You make more calls. You do more. You concentrate more, and you keep working at it."

Then, eventually, Smith said, "it all evens out. I know in my career, it all evens out. Somewhere down the line, those 10 losses will be 10 wins. That's the way I look at it."

Smith's Gophers are 14-10 heading into tonight's game against Wisconsin at Williams Arena.

Smith, 58, seems to have his frustration in check.

"I'll be honest with you, I'm not happy with losing," he said. "But we see the big picture. Most people can't see it; I see the big picture."

Smith sees a new Gophers practice facility in his program's future.

"Even though we've had a setback this year, we've got things going in the right direction," he said.

Smith cautioned, though, that he can't predict the future.

"Maybe if I were Nostradamus," he said. "He predicted the world's going to come to an end sooner of later. But we can all make that prediction.

"I feel good about stuff. We've had a great recruiting class. I feel we've got the right combinations. I've got a good staff. I'm excited about the future. We've got the best fans. Minnesota nice — it's great."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14426046

Go Gophers!!

I honestly can't wait until we get that practice facility. I think it'll help us a great deal.

Top Bottom