hmmm

Reaction score
My buddy showed me this off of Mbakwe's facebook. I know some people aren't a fan of some these but this is still rather interesting...

Trevor Mbakwe wishes they would just not have let me enroll in the first place this is some bs. ive been treatin like ive been guilty ever since i came to this damn school.

Is he just saying this now because Tubby said he would redshirt? I kind of thought the writing was on the wall.

This another example of Maturi's dithering and inability to make decisions hurting his athletes. There's no reason he couldn't have made a decision on Trevor's status in August instead of November. He knew full well that nothing was likely to change in the interim period. Instead he dithered and left Trevor hanging before dropping the bad news on him in November when it was too late to go elsewhere. What harm would there have been in telling him in August 'you can't play if this matter isn't resolved. So if you're lawyer doesn't think he can get it resolved for you in a timely manner, we want you to be able to consider your options'

Maybe he would have chosen to enroll anyway. Maybe he'd have gone and played another year of JC and come here next year. Maybe he would have said the hell with MN and left altogether. But at least it would have been his decision. But no, Maturi couldn't do that for him. He can't decide anything without dithering until the last possible minute.

If you were receiving threats I bet you might do the same thing.

Whatever. Call the cops then if you're receiving "threats" for something you supposedly didn't do.

If you look at the timeline of events there wasn't any time for him to receive these "threats" you speak of before he emptied his apartment and headed out of town.

What if there is a plea bargain?

I've always felt that fleeing the state is indication that Trevor did something he ought not to have done. If he is found innocent, what has he really lost? If he is guilty, I guess that's it for him because he'll go to jail. Question is, what if he ends up plea bargaining to a lesser charge? Would he be allowed to play? I suppose Maturi would waffle on that too.

I've always felt that fleeing the state is indication that Trevor did something he ought not to have done. If he is found innocent, what has he really lost? If he is guilty, I guess that's it for him because he'll go to jail. Question is, what if he ends up plea bargaining to a lesser charge? Would he be allowed to play? I suppose Maturi would waffle on that too.

I wouls guess it would depend on what he pleaded to. A misdemeanor charge with a minor sentence or fine, maybe...

If he pleads to something it sure wont look good after claiming innocence all this time though.

I also agree with Art on this topic, leaving so quickly looks really bad.

Well he must have updated or taken down that phrase, because it's not there anymore.

I also believe he did exactly what he should have short of calling the police himself and reporting a threat - got the hell out of there. As a juror I would question that but apparently they have the evidence to back up the threats.

I wouls guess it would depend on what he pleaded to. A misdemeanor charge with a minor sentence or fine, maybe...

If he pleads to something it sure wont look good after claiming innocence all this time though.

I also agree with Art on this topic, leaving so quickly looks really bad.

I disagree it depends on what he pleads to. If he pleads guilty, even if it's a lesser charge than felony, he would be pleading guilty to assaulting a woman he didn't know. After telling the administration he had nothing to do with it, that it's a case of mistaken identify, etc., I'd pull the scholarship immediately if he pleads guilty in this matter.

Maybe if Trevor had told the Tubby and Maturi about the charges instead of not discussing them for over four months after being arrested and charged, he could gotten a better understanding of where he stood with the program long before classes started.

I blame Royce White.

I'm serious. White absolutely forced Smith/Maturi to suspend him after ALREADY being caught shoplifting ... and ALREADY filmed assaulting the guard ... and then ... have the balls to go out and case dorm rooms with his buddies (dawgs, homies, etc) for anything not tied down ... ???

So Mbakwe may be an innocent bystander, misidentified by a victim, and then doubly screwed by White's actions. With two guys in legal trouble, I just don't see that Maturi had a way to let Mbakwe play. NOT Maturi's fault. NOT Mbakwe's fault (unless he's really guilty), Plain and simple, the fault falls on White.

I stand by what i said in the football forum about maturi. all he does is spin around in his big chair all day, when a player gets in trouble he hits his big red suspend button because hes too busy spinning to care to resolve the issue

If he pleads to a lesser charge, he'd look pretty silly (not to mention of really poor character) after professing his innocence all this time. I would think he'll have to be found not guilty of all charges or have the charges dropped entirely in order to ever suit up for the Gophers.

Obviously, I hope Trevor is telling the truth and didn't do it. Our main concern should be that the young lady is OK & that the person who did this is correctly identified and prosecuted.

After everything that has happened with Royce this year, Mbakwe and teammates have to realize that certain remarks posted on Facebook and Twitter will end up on GopherHole and some other blogs. Although, I'm a little surprised it made page 2D of the Pioneer Press today.

Pleading guilty is by no means an admission of guilt. It is doing what is best for you. Just like pleading the 5th is not an admission of guilt. Sometimes it is just the smartest thing to do.

Pleading guilty is by no means an admission of guilt. It is doing what is best for you. Just like pleading the 5th is not an admission of guilt. Sometimes it is just the smartest thing to do.

Those 2 scenarios are completely different. I agree with the 2nd statement. However....

Why would pleading guilty to something one didn't do *ever* be the right thing to do? I can't think of a situation. Please enlighten me with a documented situation where that was done (and was the best thing to do) or at least give me a realistic hypothetical.

By the way, TM is exactly where he should be: suspended. It's not really even debatable. Sorry that felony court cases take so long.......

Those 2 scenarios are completely different. I agree with the 2nd statement. However....

Why would pleading guilty to something one didn't do *ever* be the right thing to do? I can't think of a situation. Please enlighten me with a documented situation where that was done (and was the best thing to do) or at least give me a realistic hypothetical.

By the way, TM is exactly where he should be: suspended. It's not really even debatable. Sorry that felony court cases take so long.......

Let's say you are accused of a felony that has years in prison as its penalty. You know you are innocent but there's enough doubt about the witnesses that there's a small chance the jury gets it wrong. Now the prosecuting attorney offers you a misdemeanor with a fine and probation - no jail time and no possiblity of a felony on your record. It's a thinker.

Let's say you are accused of a felony that has years in prison as its penalty. You know you are innocent but there's enough doubt about the witnesses that there's a small chance the jury gets it wrong. Now the prosecuting attorney offers you a misdemeanor with a fine and probation - no jail time and no possiblity of a felony on your record. It's a thinker.

I understand your point. But felony to no jail time? I dunno....maybe that can happen. I guess it's a little like poker sometimes. It would be a thinker.

A hypothetical for pleading guilty to something you didn't do (a very extreme/obvious example)

You are accused of killing someone you didn't kill. Though you did not kill anyone, you have no alibi and all of the evidence points to you. There is no chance you are going to get off unless you have Johnny C as your lawyer. So you plead guilty to 2nd degree instead of facing 1st degree at trial. Though you still will get a sentence of 10-25 years in prison, you will avoid a 25-life sentence.

I blame Royce White.

I'm serious. White absolutely forced Smith/Maturi to suspend him after ALREADY being caught shoplifting ... and ALREADY filmed assaulting the guard ... and then ... have the balls to go out and case dorm rooms with his buddies (dawgs, homies, etc) for anything not tied down ... ???

So Mbakwe may be an innocent bystander, misidentified by a victim, and then doubly screwed by White's actions. With two guys in legal trouble, I just don't see that Maturi had a way to let Mbakwe play. NOT Maturi's fault. NOT Mbakwe's fault (unless he's really guilty), Plain and simple, the fault falls on White.

It's possible that Maturi was going to let Mbakwe play until the Royce stuff went down, but I seriously, seriously doubt it.

Maturi knew all of the basic facts of Trevor's case in August at the latest. He could easily have made a decision right then. It was obvious to everyone that his trial was probably not going to happen until deep into the season, and probably not until after the season was over. Maturi could have said in August, 'you can play until a verdict is rendered in your trial since you are asserting absolute innocence in this case.' Or he could have said exactly what he did in November, 'sorry but we can't let you play until this is resolved.' Either would have been perfectly defensable positions.

Either way, dithering until November when he 'had' to make a decision was extremely unfair to Trevor. If he did let the actions of Royce White then influence his decision, well that is just pathetic. That is not the way to hand out discipline in athletic program and is incredibly unfair to Trevor. 'Sorry, we know this has been tough on you, and we believe your innocence. We were going to let you play, but since Royce White is a dumb-ass, we're going to have to suspend you for the whole season until your trial is complete. Sorry, tough break.' I don't put something this pathetic beyond Maturi, by any means. But nothing he's done leads me to believe that he ever had any intention of letting Trevor play. He spent the period from August-November with his fingers crossed, clicking his heals, praying for it to go away. That seems to be how he deals with most big problems at the U.

A hypothetical for pleading guilty to something you didn't do (a very extreme/obvious example)

You are accused of killing someone you didn't kill. Though you did not kill anyone, you have no alibi and all of the evidence points to you. There is no chance you are going to get off unless you have Johnny C as your lawyer. So you plead guilty to 2nd degree instead of facing 1st degree at trial. Though you still will get a sentence of 10-25 years in prison, you will avoid a 25-life sentence.

Or put more simply; innocent people are sometimes wrongfully convicted.

Top Bottom