The Lineup Will Change Tomorrow - But Tubby Won't

The one thing that appears to be missing from this team is the confidence in their ability to close the deal and win in a close game. They fall apart at some point down the stretch. Pulling people from the game because of a mistake does not improve that. That is my main concern with the coaching staff. I am not sure they know how to install true leadership and confidence which any organization must do with its members to be successful.

"The only person in the program that knows what it takes to have a great college basketball team is Tubby. Not one player has been there or even been close.

"Each player that has been recruited by Tubby came here knowing what he expects: play hard, run his D, rebound, box out, go for loose balls and the points will come. The others have to adjust. I am glad that Tubby is digging in his heals and play the guys who "buy" in."

Count me in Bayfield's corner. This has been a frustrating season, no doubt, but I'm not going to lose faith in a coach with Tubby's proven track record simply because we have a "season gone haywire." Adversity happens. You hope it doesn't happen to the team you follow, but it happens. Seasons where expectations are not met, happen. Tubby didn't become a fool overnight, and neither did Roy Williams, Jim Calhoun or Ben Howland for that matter. I'll trust those guys know how to run a successful basketball program much moreso than a dozen 18- to 23-year-old young adults, and certainly moreso than us "chatboard champions".

For the record, no, I don't think Tubby is perfect, or agree with everything he does. Case in point, not sure why Colton is starting tonight. I'm not seein' it. Shaking up the lineup isn't a bad idea, but Colton's about the last guy I'd put in the starting lineup at this point, especially vs. the Badgers (as others have pointed out). I think we're more likely to dig ourselves a hole with Colton in the starting lineup. I think we're better served having him come off the bench. But again, I'll trust Tubby. This season has sucked and certainly been disappointing, but I look at this more from the long term than the short term. And quite frankly, I don't want the players calling the shots. Their job is to toe the line (on and off the court). And if they can't, find someone else.

Did you even watch UK while Tubby was there? Because you have zero clue as to what you're talking about.

Tubby's not going to change. It's not going to happen. He's stubborn and his hubris is both his greatest asset and his undoing at times. I thought maybe he learned a bit but obviously, based on what I've seen this season from Minnesota, I was wrong. I hope he can get it turned around for his sake and yours but he's digging in again. That's bad news for the Minnesota program imho.

i have zero clue??
so he DIDN'T have guys from Oak Hill..
he DIDN'T have NBA talent..
he DIDN'T have guys making plays..
he DIDN'T win 20 games..

AND when did i say anything about Tubby changing or not changing??? i happen to agree with you that he is digging in... he will not change... and he doesn't have the talent to pull it off this time.

"The only person in the program that knows what it takes to have a great college basketball team is Tubby. Not one player has been there or even been close.

"Each player that has been recruited by Tubby came here knowing what he expects: play hard, run his D, rebound, box out, go for loose balls and the points will come. The others have to adjust. I am glad that Tubby is digging in his heals and play the guys who "buy" in."

Count me in Bayfield's corner. This has been a frustrating season, no doubt, but I'm not going to lose faith in a coach with Tubby's proven track record simply because we have a "season gone haywire." Adversity happens. You hope it doesn't happen to the team you follow, but it happens. Seasons where expectations are not met, happen. Tubby didn't become a fool overnight, and neither did Roy Williams or Jim Calhoun for that matter. I'll trust those guys know how to run a successful basketball program much moreso than a dozen 18- to 23-year-old young adults, and certainly moreso than us "chatboard champions".

For the record, no, I don't think Tubby is perfect, or agree with everything he does (I think FOT's the only one that thinks he walks on water). Case in point, not sure why Colton is starting tonight. I'm not seein' it. Shaking up the lineup isn't a bad idea, but Colton's about the last guy I'd put in the starting lineup at this point, especially vs. the Badgers (as others have pointed out). I think we're more likely to dig ourselves a hole with Colton in the starting lineup. I think we're better served having him come off the bench. But again, I'll trust Tubby. This season has sucked and certainly been disappointing, but I look at this more from the long term than the short term. And quite frankly, I don't want the players calling the shots. Their job is to toe the line (on and off the court). And if they can't, find someone else.

Agree -we certainly should trust Tubby- he's earned that. He's a great coach. I think there is a balance between fully trusting - regardless of results - and calling for the firing of a coach or saying he's a bad coach. The middle ground as a fan watching a very bad season unfold is to wonder aloud why certain changes are or are not being made and why certain things are or are not being said.

So along those lines- I for one am very happy he's our coach, but I am wishing he would do a few things a bit differently right now. BTW- Those things do not for me include the blind call for reinstatement of athletes that have put their careers and the University's reputation at stake with off court actions.

Carter, Tubby, and the ball-line

I am in agreement that Carter would be a better option to start. I am not a fan of the first team and second team substitutuions either. Lets face it Tubby is gonna play the ball-line man defense no matter if he has the athletes to play it. So guess what expect wide open three's. I don't see a ton of atheletes especially at guard to get it done on the horizon either.

I am beginning to wonder with the types of ball players Minnesota produces if Bo Ryan's system is a better match. Other than Rodney Williams, Minnesota doesn't produce a ton of fast/athletic players. Ryan gets big men who can play/shoot outside, he also rarely double teams the post. He plays guys straight up. Seems like a better plan in the big ten right now.

People have a tendency to panic when things go wrong within ONE season, and ignore the big picture, and proceed to project toward the future based off one poor season. After his first two years, almost everyone was practically annointing him King of Gopher athletics just cause of an NCAA berth. Now that there's a few struggles, people sit there and talk about how stubborn he is, and how he can't win cause of this and that. While some of it is true, we have to remember not to overreact here. It sucks, but this is still just one season. Tubby can't undo a bunch of good to great seasons and change everything he does based on a bad season here and there. That's just not how it works.

Again, no to belabor this, but this team is not light years away from even competing for the Big Ten title. Just look at the losses.

Portland (61-56)
TA&M (66-65)
Miami (63-58)
@ MSU (60-53)
@ IU (81-78 OT)
MSU (65-64)
MIchigan (71-63)
@ NU (77-74 OT)

22-2 doesn't look so bad lol. Obviously you probably don't win all of those, but you get my drift. We also were fortunate @ PSU, so it can go both ways, but this year seems to be a year when we just aren't winning a lot of these nip and tuck games at all. Perhaps coaching is to partly blame for all these close losses, but you gotta realize that just sometimes, things don't work out and it can snowball as far as the players losing confidence, becoming frustrated, and sometimes acting out because of it. If they catch a few more breaks earlier in the year to avoid some of these losses early, then they're playing with more confidence and suddenly the team is winning all of the close games. Look at Kansas this year. They have one loss, but they've been on the ropes about as many times as us. The difference is they are closing their games out, like good teams do. Is Bill Self really coaching up that team to win those games, or is it perhaps the senior leadership of Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich carrying them through?

I hope this team stays together so we can see guys like Devoe and Ralph as seniors and see how things are working at that point. I'm willing to bet the outlook will be much brighter than it appears right now.

People have a tendency to panic when things go wrong within ONE season, and ignore the big picture, and proceed to project toward the future based off one poor season. After his first two years, almost everyone was practically annointing him King of Gopher athletics just cause of an NCAA berth. Now that there's a few struggles, people sit there and talk about how stubborn he is, and how he can't win cause of this and that. While some of it is true, we have to remember not to overreact here. It sucks, but this is still just one season. Tubby can't undo a bunch of good to great seasons and change everything he does based on a bad season here and there. That's just not how it works.

Again, no to belabor this, but this team is not light years away from even competing for the Big Ten title. Just look at the losses.

Portland (61-56)
TA&M (66-65)
Miami (63-58)
@ MSU (60-53)
@ IU (81-78 OT)
MSU (65-64)
MIchigan (71-63)
@ NU (77-74 OT)

22-2 doesn't look so bad lol. Obviously you probably don't win all of those, but you get my drift. We also were fortunate @ PSU, so it can go both ways, but this year seems to be a year when we just aren't winning a lot of these nip and tuck games at all. Perhaps coaching is to partly blame for all these close losses, but you gotta realize that just sometimes, things don't work out and it can snowball as far as the players losing confidence, becoming frustrated, and sometimes acting out because of it. If they catch a few more breaks earlier in the year to avoid some of these losses early, then they're playing with more confidence and suddenly the team is winning all of the close games. Look at Kansas this year. They have one loss, but they've been on the ropes about as many times as us. The difference is they are closing their games out, like good teams do. Is Bill Self really coaching up that team to win those games, or is it perhaps the senior leadership of Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich carrying them through?

I hope this team stays together so we can see guys like Devoe and Ralph as seniors and see how things are working at that point. I'm willing to bet the outlook will be much brighter than it appears right now.

You hit on two good points. First I never forget what Tom Kelly said all the time 'Don't get toohigh when you win, don't get too low when you lose.' Tubby shouldn't have been annointed King of Gopher Athletics just for making the NCAA tournament. He also shouldn't be thrown under the bus for this disappointment of a season.

Second, we all know that we'd have a better record if we had 2 or 3 of our missing players available. How much better? Probably 5 games at minimum. 19-5, 8-4 would look pretty good right about now. But even without them, we are 2-8 in what I would deem 'close' games. If we were simply 5-5 instead of 2-8, we'd be right there fighting for an NCAA birth at 17-7, 7-5. Some of it is chokng down the stretch. Some of it is bad luck.

The only person in the program that knows what it takes to have a great college basketball team is Tubby. Not one player has been there or even been close.

Each player that has been recruited by Tubby came here knowing what he expects: play hard, run his D, rebound, box out, go for loose balls and the points will come. The others have to adjust. I am glad that Tubby is digging in his heals and play the guys who "buy" in.

+10000000000000000000

Look at Kansas this year. They have one loss, but they've been on the ropes about as many times as us. The difference is they are closing their games out, like good teams do. Is Bill Self really coaching up that team to win those games, or is it perhaps the senior leadership of Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich carrying them through?

Um, it is not the senior leadership of Sherron and Cole carrying them through. It is the 4-5 first round draft picks they have on their team carrying them through. We have nowhere near the talent they do. Bill Self is also an excellent Coach, but talent is playing the primary differentiator here between KU and our squad.

Um, it is not the senior leadership of Sherron and Cole carrying them through. It is the 4-5 first round draft picks they have on their team carrying them through. We have nowhere near the talent they do. Bill Self is also an excellent Coach, but talent is playing the primary differentiator here between KU and our squad.

+1
collins can get as selfish and out of control as LW at times.. are we saying with this type of leadership, collins = LW?

The only person in the program that knows what it takes to have a great college basketball team is Tubby. Not one player has been there or even been close.

Each player that has been recruited by Tubby came here knowing what he expects: play hard, run his D, rebound, box out, go for loose balls and the points will come. The others have to adjust. I am glad that Tubby is digging in his heals and play the guys who "buy" in.

'buy in' or not, you still have to have guys that can do those things: "play hard, run his D, rebound, box out, go for loose balls"...

you read this script to Rondo et al and it works... read it to Cobbs & co and it doesn't work quite as well.. so how to get Cobbs & co to Rondo's level? that's chapter 2... something we are still waiting to see from tubby ( and from ol Roy ).

+1
collins can get as selfish and out of control as LW at times.. are we saying with this type of leadership, collins = LW?

Agreed, although Collins' talent is infinitely more than LW

Obviously Kansas is far and away more talented, that's without question. But there is, believe it or not, still talent on this Gophers squad. My point was they have been in close games many times this year and only once they have fallen. They just plain execute when it gets down to it. This Gopher team is placed in position to win many games this year and just have flat out not executed late in games to win them. Some of it is coaching, some of it is confidence, but in all of that, we just have to remember that you can't panic and call for wholesale changes just because of some games that haven't turned out quite right during a season in which there really couldn't have been more distractions and negatives off the court for this team.

I have always thought it takes about 3-4 years for a new coach to get his system and
style in place when he takes over a new job. It takes time for the old coaches players
to pass through with what they have learned and time for the new coaches players
to start to develop the way the new coach wants.

I also don't think it is wise for a person, regardless of what they do or how long they have
done it to be unwilling to consider trying new things.

I strongly believe that Tubby is going to have a very hard time getting the top players it takes to get Minn. to get to the top of the BIG TEN unless he changes his focus to playing some offense
and not just preach defense. The top players recruits out of high school are going to choose schools that can help them learn offensive strengths that can give them a shot at the NBA.

If you were a Henry, Lucas, Wall, would you want to play for a coach that is going to sit you
on the bench and stifle your offensive skills because you make a mistake on defense ?
If you were any of those players and wanted to make the NBA, would you play for a coach
who speaks the word defense every other breath?

I know defense is very important but you can't reach the top with defense alone. It takes
playing both sides of the ball. The reason offense is lacking is because Tubby spends so little
time with it in favor of working on defense. He has got to be willing to look in the mirror a
little and be willing to not be so hard headed and try to work some offense also.

Everyone can always stand some criticism and be willing to improve.

""Everyone can always stand some criticism and be willing to improve. ""

Nugget...I can NOT stand criticism, I am perfect. I am NOT willing to improve, I am perfect.

If you were a Henry, Lucas, Wall, would you want to play for a coach that is going to sit you
on the bench and stifle your offensive skills because you make a mistake on defense ?

Ask Kalin Lucas about that.

Top Bottom