What is your favorite Gopher win over Bucky Badger?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Time for a little positivity and a few smiles around here. While the rivalry was quite lopsided during the Monson years, Tubby changed that up last year. I'd love to hear what big Gopher wins over UW everyone cherrises...these are the wins that stick out in my mind:

- Obviously the big sweep last year. As frustrated as many of us get with Westbrook, his place in Gopher history will include the way he took over both UW games last year. He was fearless and on fire, and it was great to see Bostick contribute to the win at Wisconsin as well. Winning at Kohl is no small task, and that was incredible.

- I still shake my head that Bo Ryan didn't take Reedsburg's own, Clayton Hanson, off of Grier in 2005 as Monson got his biggest win as a coach and Grier was crazy good that day in front of a rockin' Barn.

- The 1994 season was incredible as the Gophers destroyed a solid UW team that featured Webster, Finley and Griffith. We humiliated them by almost 40 points at home and they vowed they'd repay us at the old Fieldhouse and we answered with a 31 point spanking there. That was the year we also destroyed St. John's on a rare late season non-conference national TV game. I was living in Wisconsin that year which was incredible as the Gophers beat the Badgers by a combined 68 points, Scott Erickson threw a no-hitter against the Brewers, and Jim Wacker did the un-imaginable and beat Barry and UW at the Camp.

- This one I didn't attend as I wasn't born yet, but my Dad has told me a number of times about a game in the late 60s/early 70s when former UW coach, turned tennis legend, John Powless brought a couple of highly touted big men into the Barn and we beat them up pretty bad and our crowd heckled Powless pretty hard all game long...as he was walking off the court after the game Powless flicked off our student section with the double bird!!

All in all, a great rivalry. Hopefully the fortunes have changed enough where this is a rivalry again and not the one-sided matchup it was from 2000 up until last year where we only beat them twice.

It's great having some solid UW contributors on this site like UWOle, GVBadger, LakeGenevaBadger, etc. Good conversations and banter with folk like you make this forum and rivalry fun.

All that being said, where's a Steve Yoder coached team when you need a slump to break out of?! ;)

Go Gophers!!

Time for a little positivity and a few smiles around here. While the rivalry was quite lopsided during the Monson years, Tubby changed that up last year. I'd love to hear what big Gopher wins over UW everyone cherrises...these are the wins that stick out in my mind:

- Obviously the big sweep last year. As frustrated as many of us get with Westbrook, his place in Gopher history will include the way he took over both UW games last year. He was fearless and on fire, and it was great to see Bostick contribute to the win at Wisconsin as well. Winning at Kohl is no small task, and that was incredible.

- I still shake my head that Bo Ryan didn't take Reedsburg's own, Clayton Hanson, off of Grier in 2005 as Monson got his biggest win as a coach and Grier was crazy good that day in front of a rockin' Barn.

- The 1994 season was incredible as the Gophers destroyed a solid UW team that featured Webster, Finley and Griffith. We humiliated them by almost 40 points at home and they vowed they'd repay us at the old Fieldhouse and we answered with a 31 point spanking there. That was the year we also destroyed St. John's on a rare late season non-conference national TV game. I was living in Wisconsin that year which was incredible as the Gophers beat the Badgers by a combined 68 points, Scott Erickson threw a no-hitter against the Brewers, and Jim Wacker did the un-imaginable and beat Barry and UW at the Camp.

- This one I didn't attend as I wasn't born yet, but my Dad has told me a number of times about a game in the late 60s/early 70s when former UW coach, turned tennis legend, John Powless brought a couple of highly touted big men into the Barn and we beat them up pretty bad and our crowd heckled Powless pretty hard all game long...as he was walking off the court after the game Powless flicked off our student section with the double bird!!

All in all, a great rivalry. Hopefully the fortunes have changed enough where this is a rivalry again and not the one-sided matchup it was from 2000 up until last year where we only beat them twice.

It's great having some solid UW contributors on this site like UWOle, GVBadger, LakeGenevaBadger, etc. Good conversations and banter with folk like you make this forum and rivalry fun.

All that being said, where's a Steve Yoder coached team when you need a slump to break out of?! ;)

Go Gophers!!

Nothing really tops the show Grier put on. I was there, and that helps, but that was just a performance for the ages by an individual player.

Given Bo Ryans ridiculous record at the Kohl Center and the fact that it was 8 on 5 as usual, the comeback we made last year was nothing short of a miracle.

90-53 in 1994 is one of my favorite Williams Arena memories and one of the only times in my life (along with 106-56 vs. Bobby Knight that same year) that I (and the rest of the crowd) have been able to remain loud and excited for all 40 minutes during a 40-point butt kicking.

Man, that team could be good. And bad.

Given Bo Ryans ridiculous record at the Kohl Center and the fact that it was 8 on 5 as usual, the comeback we made last year was nothing short of a miracle.

How was the game even close if the Badgers kept getting technical fouls for having more then 5 players on the court at once?

All wins over Wisky are tied for FIRST PLACE!!!

Larry Hisle Hr. missed free throws

Not necessarily my favorite, but most memorable was beating the Badgers at The Barn when Larry Hisle Jr. missed a couple huge free throws. Not sure if my memory is 100% correct, but I think the Badgers were down 1 with no time on the clock, Hisle was all by himself at the FT line, and he missed both. I remember feeling bad for Hisle, his teammates had to console him, but I felt great for the Gophers. I'm getting older now, all the games just kind of blend together, can't even remember exactly what era that was. Would that have been the Voshon Lenard era or was it the Willie Burton era?

Hodg, there was a real nice one I remember from my senior year undergrad, where we pulled away from what had been a real nip-tuck game to win by like 11 points or so. Would have been early February 1982, and it set us up for the run to the Big Ten Championship. IIRC, the Badgers were really keying on Trent Tucker, and Daryl Mitchell really mdae them pay for that, plus Randy Bruer was just making all of his free throws down the stretch, and we were all going crazy in the last 2 minutes or so when we realized we had finally beat those Wisconsinites.....

How was the game even close if the Badgers kept getting technical fouls for having more then 5 players on the court at once?

Is it true that there are deep grooves at both foul lines in the Kohl Center that will require the entire floor to be replaced years ahead of schedule?

last years game at the khole center is easily the best. How many people were screaming when it looked like the ball was thrown to nobody at half court, or who wasn't screaming no when DJ took that ridiculous 3 but when it went in went crazy.

who cares? even if UM wins on Thursday UW is going to the dance and the Gophs might not even make the NIT.

who cares? even if UM wins on Thursday UW is going to the dance and the Gophs might not even make the NIT.

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

From the other perspective, I have to say that the two that stick out in my mind are the Grier game and both of last year's game. Last year's UW team wasn't able to close anyone out and it was frustrating as hell. And as a UW fan, I will always remember the Big 10 closer from 1997 that basically put UW in the tournament. The Gophers had a hell of a team that year, and the Fieldhouse was rocking for that one.

Nothing really tops the show Grier put on. I was there, and that helps, but that was just a performance for the ages by an individual player.

+1

It was at that game that I felt the true electricity of The Barn for the first time. I have been a season ticket holder ever since. As frustrating as this season has been, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's game.

Top Bottom