Welcome to NIT- Doogie

Love posting on here and being apart of an on-line community that is passionate about Gophers athletics ... we should have a viewing party soon, so everyone can meet, or I can possibly organize a hoops gathering for those who play.

I would love to watch a game with you. Or even play basketball. That would be so much fun. Honestly, if you do this please PM me and let me know. I am not sure if this was sarcastic, but if you meant it I am game.

As much as I appreciate Tubby Smith, Maryland could do better.That's mostly just based on age. When that job opens, it's going to make a lot of coaches under 55 think hard about throwing their hat in the ring. The D.C., Baltimore, Northern Virginia recruiting grounds and the Comcast Center are top notch. Maryland should be a top 10-15 job.

I tend to agree. First, I don't see Gary Williams getting fired this year, but even if he does, I think they have better options. Tubby just doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to coach more then 5 more years or so, and I'm not sure a top-flight program wants to go in for that. UVa was semi-desperate. They have a brand new arena and it was half-full. They badly needed a spark to re-fill it. Frankly, I think they ended up better off with Bennett long-term. I suppose the same can be said for NC State, but again, I'd run far away from that. That said, if the Maryland job should be offered, I think Tubby is gone. But otherwise he's hear until he retires (or has 2-3 more bad seasons.)

Gopher Warrior -- If you believe everything and A.D./coach/management type says, I have some oceanfront property in International Falls to sell you.

Cool, I am always interested in prime real estate. If I buy this property, would you consider throwing in the Quesadilla Maker you got as a wedding gift? That thing looks awesome.

With respect to your NC State comment, I found it strange... first, there was no need to single out a 'potential new school for Tubby'... second, why NC State?! On the surface, it looks like an easy prediction... length of time Lowe has been there.. the 'fire Sidney' websites... but the reality is NC State has a top recruiting class coming in and the administration is afraid of the kids going bye bye if Sidney is fired. Harrow, Brown, Cothron... not too shabby. 2012's Uchebo isn't a bad guy to have a verbal commit from either.

It's not so much what the AD is saying that makes me think Lowe will be back next year, rather the fear the administration has of kids not sticking with NC State if Lowe is gone. You know how it is - I'm sure listenership dropped dramatically when you were axed from your job.

I have to agree with Doogie about Sampson and his lack of development thus far. His biggest problem is that he plays with marginal (at best) intensity. You can see flashes of greatness (a la PSU game) when he attacks, but more often then not he looks bored on the court. How many other 7 footers do you see taking fade away jumpers from 4-5 feet? That is Ralph's biggest problem and I don't see it hasn't changed from last year to now.

Cool, I am always interested in prime real estate. If I buy this property, would you consider throwing in the Quesadilla Maker you got as a wedding gift? That thing looks awesome.

With respect to your NC State comment, I found it strange... first, there was no need to single out a 'potential new school for Tubby'... second, why NC State?! On the surface, it looks like an easy prediction... length of time Lowe has been there.. the 'fire Sidney' websites... but the reality is NC State has a top recruiting class coming in and the administration is afraid of the kids going bye bye if Sidney is fired. Harrow, Brown, Cothron... not too shabby. 2012's Uchebo isn't a bad guy to have a verbal commit from either.

It's not so much what the AD is saying that makes me think Lowe will be back next year, rather the fear the administration has of kids not sticking with NC State if Lowe is gone. You know how it is - I'm sure listenership dropped dramatically when you were axed from your job.

The maker is great ... I even figured out how to use it, but sure, consider that done. A wild hypothetical: What if the Wolfpack promised Saul the head job in 5-7 years? Sort of a Bobby/Pat Knight situation?

Wis. was down? They, like they have in all of Bo Ryan's years, still finished top-4, right?

Are you really this stupid? If you knew anything about basketball, you would know that Wisconsin barely squeaked in the tournament as a 12 seed last year as one of the last four in.

The maker is great ... I even figured out how to use it, but sure, consider that done. A wild hypothetical: What if the Wolfpack promised Saul the head job in 5-7 years? Sort of a Bobby/Pat Knight situation?

Come on Doogie, now you are really reaching.

Sadly, if the next 9 months of recruiting don't get back on track, Coach Smith's time here could mirror Coach Knight's in Lubbock. Although I don't think we'll be desperate enough to have to settle for Saul if things aren't rolling.

Are you really this stupid? If you knew anything about basketball, you would know that Wisconsin barely squeaked in the tournament as a 12 seed last year as one of the last four in.

Maybe I am overrating them slightly, but I do happen to remember them doing OK as the 12 seed, and I do remember 2 wins over Michigan and a win at Marquette, and an above .500 record in what was one of the better years in the Big Ten in a while.
Royboy -- At least have the decency to use your real name if you are going to call me stupid. Real easy to hide behind your moniker.

Maybe I am overrating them slightly, but I do happen to remember them doing OK as the 12 seed, and I do remember 2 wins over Michigan and a win at Marquette, and an above .500 record in what was one of the better years in the Big Ten in a while.

Ahh, wrong Doogie. Wisconsin lost at Marquette last year. Wisconsin was probably the last team in last year. Consider also that three of their wins came against hideous Iowa and Indiana teams and they lost at Iowa. Wisconsin rode their schedule, which was tough, two wins against Michigan, and beat Ohio State and Illinois. But, only one of the those was on the road, at Michigan.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/wbg/schedule?y=2008

They made a fair showing of themselves but didn't really deserve to get in the NCAA.

I thought your article was decent but informed Gopher fans know better than to believe all of what you're saying, which really is the sad thing with the media. You guys spoon feed dubious information to an largely uniformed fan base, which they take as Gospel not knowing that you're creating a story based on flawed presumptions and facts. Well done though! I'm sure you left a lasting impression of what's going on behind Gopher basketball according to you.

You guys spoon feed dubious information to an largely uniformed fan base, which they take as Gospel not knowing that you're creating a story based on flawed presumptions and facts.

It reminds me of an article I read this week from " the badger herald ". Student newspaper I suppose that had this gem in it-

Nolen not hitting the books hard enough and White, a prize recruit, leaving the team after being arrested for stealing laptops out of university dorms completely embarrasses the University of Minnesota and the Big Ten conference as a whole.

Never let the facts get in the way of good story I always say. :)

Was it the 2 point win over Idaho State or the 2 point win over Iona that made Wisconsin great last year?

Last year's UW team was probably Bo's worst in his almost 9 years in Madison. They were 10-8 in conference, which still got them 4th place, but his only other year that bad was 9-7 when Stiemsma and Landry were academically ineligible. Last year's team had no excuse for the 9 games they led late in and lost. Bo has lost 11 times in the Kohl Center, 3 of them came last season.

You all need to lay off of Doogie. It is in very poor class to stand behind your moniker and tear him a new one. Most of the info in his post was correct.

Most of the info in his post was correct.

Reminds me of the famous Brittney Spears Youtube ..

LEAVE DOOGIE ALONEEEEE !!

Collapses into uncontrollable sobbing.

Doogie has an opinion

Some of its on, some of its off.

He's a big boy ( with a stupid pink hat ) that can defend himself.

Go4 -- I love the back-and-forth ... if I didn't respond, it's because I didn't see it ... I am on here as much as my schedule allows, but not all the time ... I couldn't find one person I talked to on Thurs. that thinks Ralph has gotten better ... I will breakdown the stats later, but how many double-doubles does he have this year compared to last? How many double-digit scoring games does he have this year compared to last? Maybe I am stupidly asking these questions without looking up the numbers, which I will do later, but I will also trust my naked eye in making the statement.

Sampson is better this year than last.

Scoring Avg - 6.3/game last year: 8.3/game this year
Rebounding Avg - 4.2/game last year; 6.1/game this year
Double-Doubles - ZERO last year; TWO this year
Double Digit Scoring Games - EIGHT last year: SIX this year (6+ games to go)
Double Digit Rebound Games - ZERO last year; THREE this year
Block Shot Avg - 1.5/game last year; 2.1/game this year
Assists Avg - .78/game last year; 1.9/game this year
FG% - 50.3% last year; 52.8% this year
FT% - 75.8% last year; 62.7% this year (this hurts him)

Am I the only one that gets frustrated about the "it's too cold in MN" banter. I honestly hate that defense for coaches wanting to move jobs more than anything else out there.

I completely agree that the winters in MN are more harsh than other locations in the US, but I think as a university and as a state MN has more to offer then 90% of the universities in the country. Maybe it's the Marron and Gold glasses I wear, but I just don't see any of our athletic jobs as lower tier jobs because of the weather here.

Am I the only one that gets frustrated about the "it's too cold in MN" banter. I honestly hate that defense for coaches wanting to move jobs more than anything else out there.

I completely agree that the winters in MN are more harsh than other locations in the US, but I think as a university and as a state MN has more to offer then 90% of the universities in the country. Maybe it's the Marron and Gold glasses I wear, but I just don't see any of our athletic jobs as lower tier jobs because of the weather here.

It drives me up a wall. Virginia, the 'warmer weather' job we were supposedly going to lose him to, has gotten more snow this year then Minnesota. I am enjoying it, but everyone is being very whiny. (It would help if it didn't take VDot 10 days to get the roads clear after every storm.) Is it still warmer here then in Minnesota? Yes. But who honestly cares if it's 20 above or 0? Either way, Tubby's a little too busy to care. Come July, I'd think he'd take 75 and sunny over 98 and suffocating.

Sampson is better this year than last.

Scoring Avg - 6.3/game last year: 8.3/game this year
Rebounding Avg - 4.2/game last year; 6.1/game this year
Double-Doubles - ZERO last year; TWO this year
Double Digit Scoring Games - EIGHT last year: SIX this year (6+ games to go)
Double Digit Rebound Games - ZERO last year; THREE this year
Block Shot Avg - 1.5/game last year; 2.1/game this year
Assists Avg - .78/game last year; 1.9/game this year
FG% - 50.3% last year; 52.8% this year
FT% - 75.8% last year; 62.7% this year (this hurts him)

Ralph's 2009-10 offensive rating and turnover rate are unfavorable compared to last year. He's better than last year, but not by much and not as much as I had hoped or as much as we should expect.

A knock on Ralph for years has been the lack of competitiveness and fire... it's nothing new. And it looks like it may always be there.

I see him make a play or two most games where I think, "Wow! What has gotten into Ralph?!?! That's what I'm talking about!!!"... it's as if I'm surprised by seeing him do what I actually expect him to do more consistently. That's not a good sign. When great players make great plays, you should think, "Yes - that is what he does."... when Ralph makes great plays, I still think, "Wow - where did that come from?".

He can still be a very good player and I think he'll be a significant asset over his remaining time at the U... but I wish he could 'snap out of it' and take on the mental state of a warrior. Don't think it will happen, though.

GW - I think you're exactly right. You see those flashes and wonder "Why doesn't he do that more consistently?". It all comes down to that lack of fire. He has the size and occasionally shows the ability, but just doesn't appear to have the willpower to be great. I don't know if/how you can change something like that.

Ahh, wrong Doogie. Wisconsin lost at Marquette last year. Wisconsin was probably the last team in last year. Consider also that three of their wins came against hideous Iowa and Indiana teams and they lost at Iowa. Wisconsin rode their schedule, which was tough, two wins against Michigan, and beat Ohio State and Illinois. But, only one of the those was on the road, at Michigan.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/wbg/schedule?y=2008

They made a fair showing of themselves but didn't really deserve to get in the NCAA.

I thought your article was decent but informed Gopher fans know better than to believe all of what you're saying, which really is the sad thing with the media. You guys spoon feed dubious information to an largely uniformed fan base, which they take as Gospel not knowing that you're creating a story based on flawed presumptions and facts. Well done though! I'm sure you left a lasting impression of what's going on behind Gopher basketball according to you.

Yes, sorry for the mistake from the top-of-my-head ... that same week they did win at Virginia Tech.

Was it the 2 point win over Idaho State or the 2 point win over Iona that made Wisconsin great last year?

From something I found from someone who follows them closely:
During a 6 game losing streak in January, the Badgers lost two overtime games, a one-point contest against Purdue, and suffered a 3 point loss in Evanston. That means Bo Ryan's team was 8 points away from winning those four, and that Wisconsin was not as average as their record suggested.

Undoubtedly, Ryan has raised the bar high enough where last year wasn't supreme, but a win over a 5-seed isn't too bad ... plus they were second in conference efficiency ... and the 10 conf. wins in a good year certainly doesn't go unnoticed.

From the Barn -- Here is where I am confused: I go to your website and clearly you do good work and come across as very knowledgeable ... why the fear in actually attaching your full name instead of your initials?

From something I found from someone who follows them closely:
During a 6 game losing streak in January, the Badgers lost two overtime games, a one-point contest against Purdue, and suffered a 3 point loss in Evanston. That means Bo Ryan's team was 8 points away from winning those four, and that Wisconsin was not as average as their record suggested.

Undoubtedly, Ryan has raised the bar high enough where last year wasn't supreme, but a win over a 5-seed isn't too bad ... plus they were second in conference efficiency ... and the 10 conf. wins in a good year certainly doesn't go unnoticed.

From the Barn -- Here is where I am confused: I go to your website and clearly you do good work and come across as very knowledgeable ... why the fear in actually attaching your full name instead of your initials?

My name is everywhere there. Just look.

So does that mean because the Gophers lost games by 5-1-5-3-1-3 that they're not as bad as we all think they are as well? :)

Aside - Weird numbers.

the Gophers lost games by 5-1-5-3-1-3

So folks like Doogie make this excuse for Wisconsin but don't translate it to Minnesota's season this year?

Really.

Doogie to me just comes off.....

as a lout without much true information. His persistance make keep him around for a while but accuracy should still count for something in reporting. If you want people to buy into your opinions, try building a case with some facts!!

So folks like Doogie make this excuse for Wisconsin but don't translate it to Minnesota's season this year?

Really.

I agree 100% Why is Doogie doing this for Wisconsin but not for Minnesota?

Wis. still made the tourney and played UCONN, Texas, Va. Tech, and Marq. in the non-conference ... they still won 10-games in a great year for the conf. ... and a breakdown of the numbers had them as the 2nd best team in the conf.

As for Tubby's team, said on-air this morning that I am willing to give Tubby a mulligan for this year ... and that he should be in the Hall of Fame already ... overachieved last year to a degree, underachieved this year ... next year will be a big year.

Top Bottom