Welcome to NIT- Doogie

Regarding Nolen

I also cant understand how Nolen could be academically ineligible if Tubby had a tight grip on his academic situation. Shouldnt Tubby have known about this? If he didnt that is bad. If he did shouldnt he have had his butt firmly on the bench until he got his act in gear--and not making road trips up until the end. Tighten it up Tubby.

Congrats to Doogie for becoming the first media-type to speculate on the possibility of Coach Smith departing for another job in a warmer climate. I'm tempted to take my criticism a step further and question Doogie's motive or logic for arbitrarily choosing where he thinks Coach Smith would be more comfortable. But I won't.

Congrats to Doogie for becoming the first media-type to speculate on the possibility of Coach Smith departing for another job in a warmer climate. I'm tempted to take my criticism a step further and question Doogie's motive or logic for arbitrarily choosing where he thinks Coach Smith would be more comfortable. But I won't.

The article says, "Presumably, his name will come up again this year for openings in the ACC (think North Carolina State)... Could he view the Wolfpack job as far less of a dire situation than the Gophers' job?"... on Friday, NC State's AD essentially said Lowe would be back as head coach next year... I'm not sure the guy has any specific motive or logic in his comments.. rather, 'Doogie' is simply not a very bright guy.

this article is garbage and doogie knows it. If he doesn't know it then he should not be in journalism. I love how doogie talks about guys that haven't improved. every team has a few guys but he ignores the guys that have improved like Blake, Johnson, Nolen. In addition, if he thinks Ralph hasn't improved then doogie proved us all right that he just doesn't watch the games. sure doogie sat courtide for one game and ralph didnt play well but most everyone can see that Ralph is developing. doogie has no accountability. the last "article" he wrote he got ripped on the board and there was some valid criticism and of course doogie didnt take the time to defend himself because he knew he was wrong.

And this year’s schedule is easier (they don't play Wisconsin or Illinois twice plus the non-conference portion was laughable). Unless they win out – which has about the same chance of happening as Gophers football coach Tim Brewster agreeing to do a radio interview with Patrick Reusse on ESPN 1500 -- they will be NIT bound.

What I find best about this article is that a little birdie told me that Tim Brewster is actually going to be Ruesse's first guest on Monday, so I guess anything can happen!

By every conceivable measure the schedule was tougher this year, he could at least get that right.

Doogie

Another piece of sh*t article from Doogie, which largely duplicates his last Gopher basketball piece. Again he sounds like an idiot claiming Ralph Sampson has not improved from last year. Again he makes the same lazy, unsupported statement that the incoming recruits are "not program changers," whatever that's supposed to mean. If he wanted to find someone who has actually watched the recruits play the game and include their observations, that would be great. But why do I get the impression Doogie has just looked at some recruiting "top 100" list and stopped researching?

He also says he has yet to hear to Tubby "take responsibility" for the players on the roster. Interesting. Did you try asking him the question, Doogie? Because I really doubt Tubby would point the finger elsewhere. I would think that even the laziest "journalist" would ask that question before implying that Tubby refuses to take responsibility, but I guess not.

Doogie...doogie....doogie.....

What a hack job! You obviously do not know what you are talking about. What do you think Tubby or any recuirt will say when they read that POS article? I hope you at least got a chance to talk to Tubby once because he will never give you the time of day with those sorts of unfounded attacks on him. What an idiot, why don't go out and get a real job flipping burgers or something because you got no future in sports!!!

What was the purpose of the article, were you trying to show you know basketball better than Tubby? Did you just want to show how you could attack some one like the "big boys"? It had absolutely no purpose than to just spout off.

Doogie's take is basically a panic attack in print.

Having said that, he raises a couple of valid points; namely, that this team should be much better than it is. Also, the halfcourt offense is disjointed most of the time and there have certainly been times when the guys have looked confused on both ends of the court.

After that, things get dicey on the credibility front. I would venture to say that he hasn't the faintest idea what the incoming recruits will bring considering he hasn't seen them play. He therefore goes off of what the experts are saying, which is that they are role players. However, since these same experts have been proven wrong on multiple occasions, I'll hold off on judgment there until they actually play a game or two (or maybe even a whole season).

Doogie also seems to believe Smith still might jump at any old offer as long as it's in the ACC or the SEC. To that, all I can say is here we go again. In other words, Doogie is painting the worst possible scenario and running with it, which is fine (that's his perogative as a journalist). In all, it implies the team will stink, Tubby can't recruit or develop players, Tubby will also leave for the SEC or ACC and the Gopher program is on it's way down the toilet. If that's the slant that he wants to pursue, then fine. I for one doubt many of these things will happen, since there is no evidence to back up any of it other than the current players not living up to expectations.

Having said that, he raises a couple of valid points; namely, that this team should be much better than it is. Also, the halfcourt offense is disjointed most of the time and there have certainly been times when the guys have looked confused on both ends of the court.

After that, things get dicey on the credibility front. I would venture to say that he hasn't the faintest idea what the incoming recruits will bring considering he hasn't seen them play. He therefore goes off of what the experts are saying, which is that they are role players. However, since these same experts have been proven wrong on multiple occasions, I'll hold off on judgment there until they actually play a game or two (or maybe even a whole season).

Doogie also seems to believe Smith still might jump at any old offer as long as it's in the ACC or the SEC. To that, all I can say is here we go again. In other words, Doogie is painting the worst possible scenario and running with it, which is fine (that's his perogative as a journalist). In all, it implies the team will stink, Tubby can't recruit or develop players, Tubby will also leave for the SEC or ACC and the Gopher program is on it's way down the toilet. If that's the slant that he wants to pursue, then fine. I for one doubt many of these things will happen, since there is no evidence to back up any of it other than the current players not living up to expectations.

Excellent post - couldn't have said it better. As an aside, a quick scroll through the comment section at the Strib suggests that UK fans are still stalking Tubby around the net. Obsess much guys?

I'll go one-by-one ... I didn't randomly throw out NC State.

The article says, "Presumably, his name will come up again this year for openings in the ACC (think North Carolina State)... Could he view the Wolfpack job as far less of a dire situation than the Gophers' job?"... on Friday, NC State's AD essentially said Lowe would be back as head coach next year... I'm not sure the guy has any specific motive or logic in his comments.. rather, 'Doogie' is simply not a very bright guy.

Gopher Warrior -- If you believe everything and A.D./coach/management type says, I have some oceanfront property in International Falls to sell you.

this article is garbage and doogie knows it. If he doesn't know it then he should not be in journalism. I love how doogie talks about guys that haven't improved. every team has a few guys but he ignores the guys that have improved like Blake, Johnson, Nolen. In addition, if he thinks Ralph hasn't improved then doogie proved us all right that he just doesn't watch the games. sure doogie sat courtide for one game and ralph didnt play well but most everyone can see that Ralph is developing. doogie has no accountability. the last "article" he wrote he got ripped on the board and there was some valid criticism and of course doogie didnt take the time to defend himself because he knew he was wrong.

Go4 -- I love the back-and-forth ... if I didn't respond, it's because I didn't see it ... I am on here as much as my schedule allows, but not all the time ... I couldn't find one person I talked to on Thurs. that thinks Ralph has gotten better ... I will breakdown the stats later, but how many double-doubles does he have this year compared to last? How many double-digit scoring games does he have this year compared to last? Maybe I am stupidly asking these questions without looking up the numbers, which I will do later, but I will also trust my naked eye in making the statement.

By every conceivable measure the schedule was tougher this year, he could at least get that right.

We can probably breakdown the strength of schedule from many different angles ... my point is this: The Big Ten is weaker top-to-bottom this year, they don't have to travel to Madison, and don't have to play a borderline NCAA team in Ill. twice.
No non-conference game this year equals the toughness factor of Louis. last year ... this year on the non-conf. I see Tenn. Tech, SFA, something called Utah Valley, Brown, and Morgan State ... yes, also cupcakes on the sched. last year, but you can use overall RPI or Ken P's rankings ... I say this year's sched. is easier.

Another piece of sh*t article from Doogie, which largely duplicates his last Gopher basketball piece. Again he sounds like an idiot claiming Ralph Sampson has not improved from last year. Again he makes the same lazy, unsupported statement that the incoming recruits are "not program changers," whatever that's supposed to mean. If he wanted to find someone who has actually watched the recruits play the game and include their observations, that would be great. But why do I get the impression Doogie has just looked at some recruiting "top 100" list and stopped researching?

He also says he has yet to hear to Tubby "take responsibility" for the players on the roster. Interesting. Did you try asking him the question, Doogie? Because I really doubt Tubby would point the finger elsewhere. I would think that even the laziest "journalist" would ask that question before implying that Tubby refuses to take responsibility, but I guess not.

Thanks for reading ... if you would've been there, I did talk to Tubby postgame Thurs. He is limited to only a certain amount of questions by the S.I.D., and Myron, Marcus, and Dave from the AP also had questions, but so did I.
Those blogs are called "Your Voices" ... they want me to take stands ... they don't want me quoting people left-and-right.
Disagree on the tone, but lazy I am not ... trust me ... will challenge my work ethic vs. yours any day of the week.

Doogie...doogie....doogie.....

What a hack job! You obviously do not know what you are talking about. What do you think Tubby or any recuirt will say when they read that POS article? I hope you at least got a chance to talk to Tubby once because he will never give you the time of day with those sorts of unfounded attacks on him. What an idiot, why don't go out and get a real job flipping burgers or something because you got no future in sports!!!

What was the purpose of the article, were you trying to show you know basketball better than Tubby? Did you just want to show how you could attack some one like the "big boys"? It had absolutely no purpose than to just spout off.

No future? I have 13-years in this marketplace with multiple companies, and just turned 30... Tubby is a Hall-of-Famer ... should be in now ... just wondering when that iconic touch will translate to my alma mater.

When did I imply the the program is on its way down the toilet? Sure, provided some doom-and-gloom, but certainly not that bad. He darn near took the Virginia job, the Maryland job is his dream job, so why not think about the NC State job if it opens up?
Fair point on the two verbals ... deferred to a few different clippings I read and one person I talked to ... wouldn't know either if they were in our ch. 5 sports office right now, so fair enough to say we can wait to pass judgment.

Thank you for taking the time to read ... I apologize for not saying that earlier.

Doogie, no matter what I think of your article, which I did read, kudos for coming on and posting.

He darn near took the Virginia job
Do you have a primary source, a source who speculated, or your speculation?

the Maryland job is his dream job
Is he on record stating this?

Why would he want to leave for UVA? Why would NC State want a 58 year old coach? Tim Brewster's hometown is only 250 miles from Tubby's and he coached at warmer locales in UNC, Texas, San Diego, and Denver- why don't people like you throw out Minnesota being too cold for him and speculate that he desires the next job South of the Mason-Dixon?

Love posting on here and being apart of an on-line community that is passionate about Gophers athletics ... we should have a viewing party soon, so everyone can meet, or I can possibly organize a hoops gathering for those who play.

Why would he want to leave for UVA? Why would NC State want a 58 year old coach? Tim Brewster's hometown is only 250 miles from Tubby's and he coached at warmer locales in UNC, Texas, San Diego, and Denver- why don't people like you throw out Minnesota being too cold for him and speculate that he desires the next job South of the Mason-Dixon?

Informed speculation ... as for the Maryland job, I am 100 percent on that one ... heard it the day he was hired here from two people who absolutely would know.
The weather idea is not far-fetched ... more so other family members.

When did I imply the the program is on its way down the toilet? Sure, provided some doom-and-gloom, but certainly not that bad. He darn near took the Virginia job, the Maryland job is his dream job, so why not think about the NC State job if it opens up?
Fair point on the two verbals ... deferred to a few different clippings I read and one person I talked to ... wouldn't know either if they were in our ch. 5 sports office right now, so fair enough to say we can wait to pass judgment.

I guess I can see your point of view, that is if you differentiate between "some doom and gloom" and "going down the toilet." What is your difference between the two? To me, providing as much doom and gloom as you did basically, at least to me, implies going down the toilet.

And I would have to disagree about the "very nearly took the Virginia job." Didn't sound like that based on the information that was presented, but maybe you know more. The way some in the media talk, you would think Tubby is halfway out the door at all times. When and if something occurs, then talk about leaving would be warranted. But just randomly opening up "he might leave" because of having a difficult season is problematic and at this point is reaching for talking points.

Response

Thanks for reading ... if you would've been there, I did talk to Tubby postgame Thurs. He is limited to only a certain amount of questions by the S.I.D., and Myron, Marcus, and Dave from the AP also had questions, but so did I.
Those blogs are called "Your Voices" ... they want me to take stands ... they don't want me quoting people left-and-right.
Disagree on the tone, but lazy I am not ... trust me ... will challenge my work ethic vs. yours any day of the week.

Okay, Doogie, good for you. I suggest you apply your Herculean work ethic to writing better blog entries.

You guys are ridiculous. Any journalist who writes an article that is critical of Tubby or the gophs is immediately called trash or a hack job. Good lord the media isn't supposed to spoon feed fans candy and rainbows all the time.

I can't tell you how close he came to taking it, but I can tell you from an excellent source that UVa offered him the world including a huge pay raise from his already high salary, so my guess is he strongly considered it.

It is for that reason that I don't think he'll leave for any job other then Maryland unless he's really, really unhappy with Maturi or something. NC State is not a better job then UVa or Minnesota. It is the 4th best job in its own state (if that) and will always be poor step-sister to Duke and UNC. Yet its fans expect everyone to be the next Jim Valvano. Basically you are put behind a giant 8-ball yet face huge expectations. I'd run far away.

We can probably breakdown the strength of schedule from many different angles ... my point is this: The Big Ten is weaker top-to-bottom this year, they don't have to travel to Madison, and don't have to play a borderline NCAA team in Ill. twice.
No non-conference game this year equals the toughness factor of Louis. last year ... this year on the non-conf. I see Tenn. Tech, SFA, something called Utah Valley, Brown, and Morgan State ... yes, also cupcakes on the sched. last year, but you can use overall RPI or Ken P's rankings ... I say this year's sched. is easier.

Last year the Gophers played Louisville as their only moderately challenging non-conference game. This year they played Butler, Portland, Texas A&M and Miami on the road. Wisconsin was down last year. This year the Gophers play Purdue twice compared to once last year. But why let something silly like actual statistics that show this year's schedule is tougher get in the way of your view?

As much as I appreciate Tubby Smith, Maryland could do better.That's mostly just based on age. When that job opens, it's going to make a lot of coaches under 55 think hard about throwing their hat in the ring. The D.C., Baltimore, Northern Virginia recruiting grounds and the Comcast Center are top notch. Maryland should be a top 10-15 job.

Last year the Gophers played Louisville as their only moderately challenging non-conference game. This year they played Butler, Portland, Texas A&M and Miami on the road. Wisconsin was down last year. This year the Gophers play Purdue twice compared to once last year. But why let something silly like actual statistics that show this year's schedule is tougher get in the way of your view?

Wis. was down? They, like they have in all of Bo Ryan's years, still finished top-4, right? Miami is not good this year. Portland has some bad losses. I would rather play Purdue a second time compared to two games vs. Wis. & Ill. Plus, no game this year in Madison is huge in my mind (11-losses in 8+ years for Ryan at the Kohl Center).
We can probably agree on this: Both schedules are below-average. So arguing semantics a bit this year vs. last ... let's just agree to disagree.

Top Bottom