Trevor M trial likely to be rescheduled

Trevor M has not played because? If he was that bad and a risk, why would you allow him to practice? This punative Helter Skelter Misconduct policy by our WEAK AD has cost this kid and this team. What happened to the rule of law where you are innocent until proven guilty?

I would gather that Maturi has this policy because he would look like a total moron if he let a kid play basketball who (3/4 of the way through the season) goes to jail for felony battery. Not saying the Mbakwe is guilty, but if his policy were to let people who were facing felony charges play ball, he wouldn't be able to discriminate between those who look guilty pretrial and those who don't.

Joel's quote says it all

"I don't even know," Maturi said about the trial date. "Sometimes I hear that it's not going to trial, that it's going to be resolved or whatever. I hope it does (go to trial). The sooner the better for all of us."

Maturi sums it up very well. It's pretty obvious he (like everyone else) is frustrated and getting sick and tired of the clouds surrounding the program. One cloud, fortunately, is gone, now there's one more to iron out. Certainly can understand his, "Let's get the trial going and be done with it" feelings, no matter the end result (verdict). One way or another, it'll be done and the program can move on. Until then. ...

Trevor M has not played because? If he was that bad and a risk, why would you allow him to practice? This punative Helter Skelter Misconduct policy by our WEAK AD has cost this kid and this team. What happened to the rule of law where you are innocent until proven guilty?

What is Maturi supposed to do? Just believe what Trevor tells him? Have his own trial for Mbawke? (maybe you can even be on of the jurors)

He has one play, and that is let the trial run its course and make a decision after that.

Funny, although im sure Trevor isnt happy about it. I havent seen one youtube video with him and J-strings!

At this point it doesn't really matter when it is. All that counts is that Trevor isn't found guilty. Although I agree with not allowing him to play, he is being charged with felony, what a shame that the actual trial won't probably be until after the season is over.

Mbakwe still has charges pending. The prosecutor has decided to press on. The court has determined there's Probable Cause. The court has also ruled against arguments (or motions) to dismiss.

Mbakwe still has his scholarship and is practicing with the team because Maturi et. al. agree that he's not convicted of any crime. But given the continuing legal case, suspension seems reasonable. Once the case is adjudicated (which would include dismissal of charges with prejudice or dismissal by the prosecutor in the interest of justice) then a final decision can be made.

The law is right where it should be. The law refers to the court system of the United States(not the Gopher Basketball Team) and Trevor is not in jail.

Thank you for the opportunity to explain this to you.

If only we had 3,417 posts to let us know how millions2spare felt about Maturi's handling of off-court issues.

Wait, what? We do? :cry:

her bearn boy, please put me on your ignor list....Look, other programs have policies that are not punative for Accusations.......I agree--if he is arrested--or his court dates prevent him from being scholastically eligible then he should go. Until then, he should be playing. PERIOD. Innocent until proven guilty. We can agree to disagree on that. Amazing how threatened some of you folks get about an alternative view. Its about time people who beleive you can WIN and have a world class University start to become vocal.It starts with leadership.

I'm not threatened. I'm annoyed. You say the same thing about Maturi in 12,201 posts.

We get it. You don't like Maturi.

What fun would it be to ignore you?

her bearn boy, please put me on your ignor list....Look, other programs have policies that are not punative for Accusations.......I agree--if he is arrested--or his court dates prevent him from being scholastically eligible then he should go. Until then, he should be playing. PERIOD. Innocent until proven guilty. We can agree to disagree on that. Amazing how threatened some of you folks get about an alternative view. Its about time people who beleive you can WIN and have a world class University start to become vocal.It starts with leadership.

Do you really think it's just about an 'alternative view'?

And I don't think anyone feels 'threatened'.

What's the difference between allowing him to be with the team and practice, but not letting him play? If a felony is such a big deal, Maturi should just kick him off the team and tell him to come back once the case is done. What's so ridiculous is that Trevor could probably transfer to any D1 school and play immediately, but our illustruous AD has this holier than though attitude that is crippling the program.

thanks KYG...
for the record....I have played golf with Joel maturi (I thought his name was Joe)...and have had dinner with him acouple times...he is a good guy. I like him. I just think he is over his head and a weak (jimmy catrer style) leader...

If Trevor knows what's good for him he'll flee the country.

thanks KYG...
for the record....I have played golf with Joel maturi (I thought his name was Joe)...and have had dinner with him acouple times...he is a good guy. I like him. I just think he is over his head and a weak (jimmy catrer style) leader...

Did you and Joe make-up a threesome or foursome?

Two Questions.

1. What would be the likely charge for Trevor if found guilty? and

2. What is the difference between Trevor's case and the Iowa DE who played all year and I believe has a Felony charge against him?

KyGopherfan said:
What's the difference between allowing him to be with the team and practice, but not letting him play?

Wow. Do we really need to explain this to you?

all the maturi supporters agree with having an open ended ambigious student misconduct policy. There is no objective standard and I guess it proves to them that the University has "higher" standards. ..Illogical....what message does it send about society that you get penalyzed punitively for being accused? Was he arrested? Is he on trial? Is he missing class because of court dates? Is he practicing with the team?

I think once proven guilty of a felony--poof you are gone no questions asked. Many of the TOP programs have that policy vs the Gophers punative Helter-skelter policy. Could you imagine if everyone was suspended for what they loved based on an accusation?

all the maturi supporters agree with having an open ended ambigious student misconduct policy. There is no objective standard and I guess it proves to them that the University has "higher" standards. ..Illogical....what message does it send about society that you get penalyzed punitively for being accused? Was he arrested? Is he on trial? Is he missing class because of court dates? Is he practicing with the team?

I think once proven guilty of a felony--poof you are gone no questions asked. Many of the TOP programs have that policy vs the Gophers punative Helter-skelter policy. Could you imagine if everyone was suspended for what they loved based on an accusation?

I am thankful that there isnt a set in stone student athlete misconduct policy. That our athletic director takes the time to look at each case individually: Gather as much information as possible, take into account all of the players actions, talk to the coach, determine if it is an isolated instance or a trend, review the legal proceedings etc. Then make a decision that he believes is in the best interest of the University.

I don't mean to sound redundant but we already know how you feel about Joe Maturi.

s19--you and your ilk know if you answer those questions it will force you to challenge your status quo position......If joel M says jump you bend over and say...how High Joel.

"What message does it send about society that you get penalyzed punitively for being accused?"

Millions, just so I'm clear. ... do you apply this to all criminal charges, no matter the crime? If a player on the Gopher basketball team (while pleading not guilty) was out on bail while being accused of let's say, rape, murder or child molestation, if you were the AD you'd let him play until he was convicted (according to you that's what the big-time programs would do, right?)? All things innocent until proven guilty, no gray area, right? That seems to be what you're saying.

Good question. I would say that in your scenero, if a player is arrested he should be given the choice to be released immediatly or suspended indefinatly.In your case, it would be doubtful the player could remain eligible achademically as they would be focussed. Anyway, that is the policy at other schools. I understand the football team had a couple players arrested and convicted but were allowed to play. Until Trevor is arrested, he should have been allowed to play.

s19--you and your ilk know if you answer those questions it will force you to challenge your status quo position......If joel M says jump you bend over and say...how High Joel.

Actually I have no association or institutional arrangement with 'joel' and therefore he is no position to say jump to me.

You act like it was Maturi's preference to suspend Mbakwe (and White). Quite honestly, while this entire situation is terrible, he did not have much of a choice. Athletics should come second to protecting the University's public image as a place of higher learning. Maturi's hand was forced: he simply chose the lesser of two evils by protecting the entire institution's integrity at the cost of a single student's participation in athletics. Yes, these decisions also ended up affecting the team as well, but once again, the needs of the University as a whole outweigh the needs of a single team.

thank you! We can agree to disagree.......I appreciate your perspective. What is he protecting the University from? If these kids are dangerous, why were they allowed to practice? If they are proven guilty, why does that harm the University?
You see, other Universities have a different approach. I think we should adopt a more objective and less punative policy.

Thank you for your view.

Until Trevor is arrested, he should have been allowed to play.

He has been arrested. That's why he has a trial scheduled next week. Arrested first, then trial. He has been charged with a crime, arrested, and released on his own recognisance.

Not quite sure why you are saying he hasn't been arrested.

thank you! We can agree to disagree.......I appreciate your perspective. What is he protecting the University from? If these kids are dangerous, why were they allowed to practice? If they are proven guilty, why does that harm the University?
You see, other Universities have a different approach. I think we should adopt a more objective and less punative policy.

Thank you for your view.

Well it's about time.

So he has been formally charged with assault. Then the next question is, is he a student in good standing? yes....he should be allowed to play....

Top Bottom