And it begins....Reusse takes on Tubby.

too bad you major in the minors and can't respond with any form of intellect to the point either pro or con. If I wanted a grammer or speeling tutor I would ask. Please keep your comments to yourself or put me on your ignor list. I really dont give a rats ass about your corrections..................................
Go knock yourself out........

too bad you major in the minors and can't respond with any form of intellect to the point either pro or con. If I wanted a grammer or speeling tutor I would ask. Please keep your comments to yourself or put me on your ignor list. I really dont give a rats ass about your corrections

I know, I know, you tried to misspell spelling, ignore, and grammar.

Or did you?

Schmuck.

There was another thread where a guy came on and attacked Tubby's coach. Another guy came on and defended him, saying he's seen Tubby's practices and defended Tubby's coaching style and ability. However, one thing the second guy (the pro Tubby guy) said stuck with me. He said Tubby's ball line defense is incredibly tough to learn and that Chuck Hayes, a great player said he didn't really understand it until his senior year.

If that's the case- why would you ever recruit a great JUCO offensive player - such as Bostick was with only two years to learn it? Then you put him on a yo-yo string all year and kill his confidence. I just don't get that. You have to find a system you can use with the players you have and be functional on both sides of the court- not just defense.

I am sure that Tubby's defense can get complicated and difficult to execute as the weak side must adjust to so called "ball-line." However, it does not mean the defense is difficult conceptually. My understanding is that it is to discourage high percentage shots by playing basically good man-to-man (with aggressive help defense from the closest help defender when the ball is near the power zone) on the ball side while the weak side adjust to the ball-line (again defending the power zone). Pressure on the ball, constant adjustments of the weak side along the ball-line, fighting through screens, etc., require a lot of efforts from defenders. Also, the opponents do not make it simple with great ball movement, motion, screens, etc. Mostly, though, I think the effort part, mental and physical, of the defenders is the key as long as they have average intelligence.

Since I am no expert, I hope someone in this forum can illustrate better Tubby's defense.

(Also, one source says that it took Chuck Hayes "a year" to learn the defense. I am not sure which quote regarding Chuck Hayes is correct.)

Some basic resources:

Basic principles: http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/35105319.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiacyKUnciatkEP7DhU

Some illustration: http://www.aseaofblue.com/story/2007/6/20/83756/8944

A short clip: http://www.basketballcoach.com/cgi-...for-Pressure-Man-to-Man-Defense_BD-02777.html

The previous poster had it right. The "ball-line" defense is about 80% hustle and 20% knowing where to be. It's the same as any other defense.

I agree with MRJ, I haven't read Ruesse for years. It's been the same xhit for 20 years.

I thought it was a reasonable column, backed up by facts. You can justifiably argue that he shouldn't take shots at at freshmen, but that's the world we live in. Cobbs doesn't look like a B10 guard yet. That doesn't mean he won't. Williams had a couple of good games against meaningless opponents but hasn't had an impact in any of the conference games.

As I've said before, whatever success has been achieved to date has been due almost entirely to Monson's players. I think it's reasonable by the third year for Tubby's recruits to have an impact.

It is proper however to review the progress of Tubby in his 3rd year. I think his story was pretty good, like him or not. Any cosch should be under some inspection, especially we were all counting on this team for our Winter sports fix and a lock for the NCAA. Maybe some of his recruits just are not that good. On Reusse's radio show this morning he elevated the discussion to fault Maturi for his handling of Mbwkeee and White. He called into question the AD's leadership. Imagine that we have a football coach to select in a year? Do we really trust maturi to choose? The program is in a free fall and we may even put the longevity of Tubby at risk with maturi's poor leadership.

I'm a third year guy with BB coaches. As of right now what's the diff between Tubby and Monson?

He has been a failure if you look at it without emotion. We suck and it appears Kentucky was right. I don't even like his coaching during the game to be perfectlyu honest.

Ugh

Why are you a "third year guy"?

Being a third year guy pretty much gets you a senior class you didnt recruit, a junior class that was recruited by the predecessor who still chose to sign with you, a sophomore class of your recruits who still adjusting and a freshman class that are still freshman who rarely contribute.

If anything we got spoiled by making the NCAA tournament last year. Do you remember Monsons last year? the talent that he left for Tubby?

Im not happy with this year, but when a new coach takes over I would say the 4th and 5th years are most telling. His players are upperclassmen, and have been coached by him for 4 years.

Perhaps the criticisms of the freshmen were a bit harsh, but otherwise, there isn't much to disagree with in the article. Last year's team with an added year of experience has taken a step backwards. Despite extenuating circumstances, Al Nolen was allowed to play basketball while his grades went south. The offense is as offensive as the scheme down in the Bierman Building (it's amazing to watch other basketball games and see screens, motion, cutters, etc. on offense). The incoming recruiting class is nothing short of uninspiring. Last year's recruiting class fell apart (you play with fire, sometimes you get burned). There doesn't seem to be a difference maker in the previous class. No one's calling for Tubby's head, but it doesn't mean he should be immune from the microscope, and the reality of it is that this team is no better than mediocre.

I wrote this in an email exchange with a certain BleedGopher:

"I thought for the most part it was fine. I think it's probably a little early to write off Cobbs and Rodney. But from a big picture standpoint, I think the column was fine. This Gophers team team is probably the most disappointing sports team in Minnesota over the past year. This team was ranked 16th in the country early this season and now doesn't look like it is going to go to the NCAA tournament. That's not good.

And while this team has had adversity -- some self-inflicted, some not -- Tubby's job is to keep the ship steady in a storm. I think some of this is on him."

First Reusse article I agree with him on.

At least the Brew backers on the football board can't whine about Tubby 'getting a pass' from the evil media anymore.

He's still getting a pass compared to Brewster. He makes more than twice as much as Brewster. He hasn't been called a 'blowhard' yet. He doesn't have half the state mocking him yet...

It was an unfortunate article, but it was fair. There's a lot in the air, and this could all be just a bump in the road, or the beginning of a slide and back to square 1 for Coach Smith.

The real question is does he stick it out here if he fails to land Joseph, loses Mbwake, and signs another mediocre class next fall?

tubby is frustrated with the Administration --I would expect that Tubby would have no problems getting a raise to leave. There were rumors someplace of DePaul and Arizona earlier this year. Lets hope we can keep him.

tubby is frustrated with the Administration --I would expect that Tubby would have no problems getting a raise to leave. There were rumors someplace of DePaul and Arizona earlier this year. Lets hope we can keep him.
The "rumor" was started by your alter ego, trolling for a reaction. It's been clarified by an inside source that Missing Lots of Things misunderstood and it was actually Depauw.

Top Bottom