Recruits

baseball_stud

Reaction score
Let's face it. Since Tubby has been here, our recruiting hasn't been very good. It hasn't gotten a whole lot better than when monson was here. Sure, it might have been a halfway decent class if royce woulda played but he never suited up. You would think we would be able to get some bigger names and at least be able to keep the best players within our state. Justin Cobbs will never be anything better than a role type player. I do like Rodney williams and think he will be good in a year or two. Devoe will be average...youll have to live with the bad to get the good as he is unpredictable. Iverson wouldnt start for a mid major. I think Ralph Sampson will turn out to be a good player by the time hes a senior. Also, next years class looks terminal unless we get c jospeh but the chances of that are slim. I guess we do now have an open scholorship

Another first time poster down on Tubby. How odd.

no, I like tubby, I am just starting to question his recruiting a little bit. You would think he would be able to use his name a little more to swing some better recruits in here. It would just be nice for once to have a solid class coming in that don't have a million questions behind them.

Colton, Devoe, Ralph - very solid group.

Royce + Rodney + JUCO Trevor = great recruiting class.

The production has been bad, but the recruiting has been good.

2010, however, is not good.

I don't know if I would call that a very solid group. I'd call it average for big 10. No one knows if Trevor will be good or not. Juco transfers are hard to judge for basketball. How does Wisconsin get such good recruits year after year. They are not in anymore of a basketball hotbed than the gophers but they are better year after year. Bo Ryan isn't anymore of a big name than Tubby. Its sickening.

It would just be nice for once to have a solid class coming in that don't have a million questions behind them.

I think it would be better to have new posters that ain't got an agenda when they first sign up here.

I don't know if I would call that a very solid group. I'd call it average for big 10. No one knows if Trevor will be good or not. Juco transfers are hard to judge for basketball.

I've personally seen Trevor play many games.. high school, D1, Miami-Dade... he can be very good in the Big Ten. He's a JUCO transfer by way of Marquette University.. he's played Big East bball before. Not your typical 'JUCO transfer'.

Combine him with Royce and Rodney and it is most definitely 'very solid'. But, the entire premise of your post is wrong and not factual.

Trevor was a 3 star recruit for Marquette and got injured in his first year their I believe...Something like 3.8 points per game...don't let those numbers mislead you...he was on a very talented Marquette squad who made a decent tourney run that year... His Juco numbers were beastly...I believe he was also the JUCO player of the year when we signed him...Espn gave him a rating of 94/100 and ranked him as the best JUCO player...he was another 5 star signing for MINN...I would have to say that our recruiting class last year was among the best in the Big Ten and probably in the Country...I'm not sure where it ranked exactly.

well at least everyone is satisfied with mediocrity and just finshing 6th,7th or 8th annually in the big 10 every year. Look at other big 10 schools recruiting classes. There is no reason that the gophers classes shouldnt be just as good as everyone elses in the big 10 barring michigan state. At least every once in awhile. Our classes are rarely as good. The class with royce, trevor being an exception. That was as good as most of the other big 10 classes.

This year is not good I admit that...Last year would have been great...things just didn't work out...like they always say...sh!t happens...Will this incoming recruiting class be able to compete with other big ten classes...No!...however I believe that Tubby can coach these guys...he always has gotten by with 3 star recruits in the past at Kentucky...and he won a championship and made it to the tournament almost every year...Joseph would make this a good class...but we would still be in the middle of the big ten.

well at least everyone is satisfied with mediocrity and just finshing 6th,7th or 8th annually in the big 10 every year. Look at other big 10 schools recruiting classes. There is no reason that the gophers classes shouldnt be just as good as everyone elses in the big 10 barring michigan state. At least every once in awhile. Our classes are rarely as good. The class with royce, trevor being an exception. That was as good as most of the other big 10 classes.

...uhh, glad you changed your post. In what was essentially Tubby's second recruiting class, he had one of the absolute best classes in the Big Ten. That is 'at least every once in awhile'.

The only issue is that there were some risky recruits included in that very solid group... but, the real issue is looking forward. And 2010 may wind up being a poor class compared to the rest of the conference. Couple that with losing a guy(s) from the very solid recruiting class in 2009, and it gets scary.

Yes, It would be very nice if we could somehow get joseph here. We'd have a fairly solid core. I just hope that the higher level recruits were going after end up signing here so were not forced to go after a couple last minute lower level recruits with our open scholorships. There is def. hope we just need to start fresh next year.

baseball

Yes, It would be very nice if we could somehow get joseph here. We'd have a fairly solid core. I just hope that the higher level recruits were going after end up not signing here and were forced to go after a couple last minute lower level recruits with our open scholorships. There is def. hope we just need to start fresh next year.

This comment left me confused. Could you clarify, please?

:confused:

no problem man your new here.

you're.

Joseph is unlikely. Gophers 2011 and 2012 classes better be incredible (playing time will certainly be available) and/or they need to find someone coming outta the woodwork. U G L Y

Tubby's previous recruiting classes were mediocre? They were both top 25. How is that not any different than Monson's classes? Obviously they haven't panned out as hoped, but you can't exactly predict that Trevor and Royce wouldn't play a minute this year, or that Bostick, Devoe, and Iverson wouldn't turn out better (at least in their first two years). And Wisconsin doesn't get that great of recruits each year. They get recruits that fit their system well. Some we'd want, some we wouldn't.

Let's face it. Since Tubby has been here, our recruiting hasn't been very good. It hasn't gotten a whole lot better than when monson was here. Sure, it might have been a halfway decent class if royce woulda played but he never suited up. You would think we would be able to get some bigger names and at least be able to keep the best players within our state. Justin Cobbs will never be anything better than a role type player. I do like Rodney williams and think he will be good in a year or two. Devoe will be average...youll have to live with the bad to get the good as he is unpredictable. Iverson wouldnt start for a mid major. I think Ralph Sampson will turn out to be a good player by the time hes a senior. Also, next years class looks terminal unless we get c jospeh but the chances of that are slim. I guess we do now have an open scholorship

Hmm. You smell like another Kentucky racist. Hmm.

They get recruits that fit their system well. Some we'd want, some we wouldn't.

Re: Wisconsin - great point. Personally I hate Wisconsin and their ugly system.. but, to their credit, they do get some goofballs that are able to make it work for them.

Luckily Vander Blue saw the light before he enrolled at the Madison extension of the univ of wisconsin.

Bo Ryan=Ron Gardenhire :)...has a few pretty damn good ones...and then the rest just fit in and play well.

no i am not a kentucky fan haha. Im born and raised MN. Been a gophers fan my whole life. I try to stay positive but not much has seemed to work out basketball wise. When we got Tubby I was so excited and just nothing has panned out. I still think a turn around is possible. I'm not sure what type of players would fit "our" system. Also, as much as i do despise wisconsin i do have to give them credit. There system does work. We have better overall athletes I would say but Wisconsin just doesn't make very many mistakes and handles the basketball well.

When we got Tubby I was so excited and just nothing has panned out. I still think a turn around is possible.

Right. So when he turned around a team that won nine games into a team that won 20 the next season, graduated the majority of the scoring and then took that team to an NCAA berth, exactly what do you think hasn't panned out?

Troll.

Correction

Colton, Devoe, Ralph - very solid group.

Royce + Rodney + JUCO Trevor = great recruiting class.

The production has been bad, but the recruiting has been good.

2010, however, is not good.

Colton, Devoe, Ralph - fairly solid group.

Royce + Rodney + JUCO Trevor = Rodney

Yes, he had a nice turn around the first year. What happened after? Still has never finished better than 6th in the big ten. I'm not trying to say I do not like Tubby because I do. What I am saying is it just hasn't worked out yet. The numbers don't lie. Our record still turns out halfway decent because our non conference record is always good because we play tiny school teams at the barn. Once we get into big ten play we start gettin worked.

What happened after? Still has never finished better than 6th in the big ten. I'm not trying to say I do not like Tubby because I do. What I am saying is it just hasn't worked out yet. The numbers don't lie. Our record still turns out halfway decent because our non conference record is always good because we play tiny school teams at the barn. Once we get into big ten play we start gettin worked.

And what exactly do you propose they do? They were in the 76 Classic this year, they're going to Puerto Rico next year. It's not like home and home's with top 25 schools are readily available.

You see rather than acknowledge any accomplishments you would rather focus on whatever you perceive as " hasn't worked out yet ".

You're a troll. It's a broken record around here lately. Crawl back under the rock you came from.

Hmm. You smell like another Kentucky racist. Hmm.

FOT, I'm pretty much a fan of yours and I know that I've learned a great deal from you, but I gotta be honest with you here . . . .

um. . . .how to say this . . . .well, the thing is from time to time your "detectoracistmeter" get stuck on full open. And, it bugs the crap out of everyone. Well, me anyway. I can help you out on this if you'd like. Here's what you do.

1. Take a few deep breaths
  2. Remove the batteries from the detectoracist device.
  3. Thwack it with the palm of your hand
  4. Wait five seconds
  5. Replace the batteries in the detectoracist device
  6. The device has now rebooted and the needle has hopefully become unstuck from the KKK level
  7. Test on a relative (of known prejudice) to see if it HAS properly recalibrated

If not, please return it to the manufacturer for a refund, and do not attempt to use another device until you have successfully completed the appropriate training for using racist identification technologies.

We are just not digging having a lot of Gopherholers (new and old) being called racist on such flimsy and whimsical data.

Word to the wise man.

HAHA I'm sorry but I'm absolutely lovin FOT right now. Have anything bad to say about Tubby and your a racist. Who the h*ll is this guy? Al Sharpton? I've defended Tubby numerous times on this board, so please don't call me a racist for this post.

Top Bottom