Official U of MN release - Royce White is granted release from U

GopherLady

Reaction score
If this hasn't been posted, here your go (not on my PC)

University of Minnesota athletics officials today announced that freshman Royce White has requested and will be granted his release from all scholarship obligations as a student-athlete at the university.*&^!#“We are deeply saddened by the entire chain of events involving Royce White this season at the University of Minnesota,” said Minnesota head basketball coach Tubby Smith. “However, we feel like he will always be a member of the Minnesota basketball family and want what is best for him and his immediate family. We wish him the best of luck.”*&^!#White, a Minneapolis native and Hopkins High School graduate, practiced at times with the team this season but did not appear in an official contest.-UM-*&^!#

Sit out a year. Transfer. Sit out a year. Play college ball. Not likely. NBA? No chance.

Welcome to Turkey or the Ukraine, Royce. It's a living.

NBA? No chance.
I agree. From what Royce has shown us, I don't think he has the mental toughness to ever make it to the NBA.

Why does it seem like all the recent 5-star hoops players from this state are big ego, self-centered crybabies?

I wonder if we weren't looking at the second-coming of Kris Humphries here. A guy who just wanted to pad his stats, impress scouts, and bolt for the NBA. How much would he have really made the team better?

Yes, I speak out of frustration. Wasted talent. What a shame.

Whats sad about it is that he basically lost his eligibility for a year because of shoplifting and shoving a security guard. People can create all they want but, that is basically what he did. Was he wrong, absolutely. Did his penalty fit the crime though.

I am sure he had no clue he was doing anything wrong in the dorm incident. Just being a freshman and doing what college kids do, trying to find a party and meet some girls on a weekend night.

He shot off his mouth with the video's and that is basically what has turned many against him. I give him credit for sticking with it and getting good grades without any support from the U. I challenge other posters on this board to be put under the microscope he has been under.

He'll catch on somewhere else. I hope it isn't with another big ten school. I'd hate to see him at Iowa or Wisconsin for four years.

Not that you guys are going to believe a first time poster, but according to an agent close to the situation, Royce seems to think there's some direct path to the NBA for him. If he does follow through on this and declare for the NBA draft, he'll go un-drafted and spend next year in the NBA D-League for sure.

Back in November his people first started looking into the possibility of him playing in the NBA D-League. Royce is not eligible for this, however, though I'm not sure that he knows it. The D-League has a rule that says you can't sign a contract with the league if you have been enrolled and attended college courses at any point during the current D-League season.

Even if Royce wanted to play in Europe the rest of the year, it's highly doubtful he could find a job in Europe for more than about 3-5k a month if he's lucky. With Jennings struggling with Rome and Jeremy Tyler being a total bust in Israel, European teams have really cooled on signing American kids with no college experience. He could always try China, but he wouldn't develop a bit as a player over there.

Question about this whole situation-

Did he use up a year of eligibility? He never played.

If I'm not mistaken isn't there a rule within the Big 10 that says you can't transfer to another Big 10 school?

In retrospect the best thing for him probably would have been to go somewhere else and escape all of the influences he had here. Although, trouble finds those who look it so who knows.

Blizzard-
I think the rule is that you can transfer to another B10 school, but you can't get a scholarship.
Luke Rucker comes to mind... I think that was him name anyway.
Did Sam Okey transfer within the B10? Less sure about him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no matter what any of us thought about Kris Humphries (for me it was moreso his dad running roughshod over Monson), last time I checked Kris never embarrassed himself, his coach, his teammates or his university with criminal behavior and sociopathic tendencies off the court. It's not fair to lump Humphries with White.

Blizzard-
I think the rule is that you can transfer to another B10 school, but you can't get a scholarship.

Thanks, that seems to ring a bell.

On his chat Myron stated he's not ruling out a return of Royce White.

I can't possibly, in any way, shape, or form, think the Gophers would take him back.

On his chat Myron stated he's not ruling out a return of Royce White.

Myron just tweeted that more Youtube's, a DVD ( of what? ), and a press release will be coming sometime from Royce.

I bet we're all pretty happy he goes away by the time this is over with.

Myron just tweeted that more Youtube's, a DVD ( of what? ), and a press release will be coming sometime from Royce.

I bet we're all pretty happy he goes away by the time this is over with.

I must admit I am curious to hear/see these.

What's the over/under. ...

on the next time we hear Royce has been charged with a criminal offense?

A. within the next 30 days
B. 3 months
C. 6 months
D. a year

I'll say B.

Then, after he's been charged, how many YouTube videos and media outlets will he use to proclaim his innocence, and cry a river about being a victim?

A. 1
B. 3
C. 5
D. More than 100

And those videos will have how many visits:

A. 1/2 the viewers of "The truth about Tubby"
B. 1/100 the viewers of "The truth about Tubby"
C. Just gopherhole readers
D. Just J-strings, royce, dboy, millions, the laptop thief and the rest of his posse

Top Bottom