What you DONT know about Tubbys coaching...

JackyHemmingway

Reaction score
Coach Smith...

1. Tells his athletes to over commit on defense. He tells them to REACH and gamble for the steal. Not a bad idea on the press. But in the half court offense it puts everyone else out of position thus creating foul trouble for everybody. If you don’t play defense his way YOUR ON THE BENCH!

2. He asks his players for 5 passes before a shot! So now were down to 4 seconds on the shot clock as a result we must force up a circus shot which makes everyone look bad. If you break his pass rule YOUR ON THE BENCH!

3. Coach Smith views fouls as turnovers. So therefore if you commit a foul you’re coming out of the game. No wonder we have 10 guys played by the 16min mark of the first half. If you foul YOUR ON THE BENCH!

Go figure why the gophers are so scared to play comfortable.

MASSIVE FAIL. Dude, I've been to a few of Tubby's practices in Lexington and knew many of his old UK players and what you're saying is a pure, unadulterated LIE. Obviously, you're promoting an agenda with your 5 posts. I can tell you for a fact that what you say is untrue.

I get my information from past and present players. I consider them the most valid source. You obviously dont know basketball. If you watch the game you would see coach stumping and yelling around the sideline, resulting in a gambled reach with a foul, followed by an unjustified substitution.

I get my information from past and present players. I consider them the most valid source. You obviously dont know basketball. If you watch the game you would see coach stumping and yelling around the sideline, resulting in a gambled reach with a foul, followed by an unjustified substitution.

Yet another troll. Ignore button please.

If you watch the game you would see coach stumping and yelling around the sideline,

Only Kentucky fans refer to the basketball coach simply as 'coach'. Around here we have more then 1 sport. Go back to Cat Pause troll.

He's right. Tubby isn't a God people.

I actually already knew #1. The five passes thing is obviously made up. And the foot stomping, I mean really, make the complaints consistent people. Tubby has been railed as too passive the last few days.

Coach Smith...

1. Tells his athletes to over commit on defense. He tells them to REACH and gamble for the steal. Not a bad idea on the press. But in the half court offense it puts everyone else out of position thus creating foul trouble for everybody. If you don’t play defense his way YOUR ON THE BENCH!

2. He asks his players for 5 passes before a shot! So now were down to 4 seconds on the shot clock as a result we must force up a circus shot which makes everyone look bad. If you break his pass rule YOUR ON THE BENCH!

3. Coach Smith views fouls as turnovers. So therefore if you commit a foul you’re coming out of the game. No wonder we have 10 guys played by the 16min mark of the first half. If you foul YOUR ON THE BENCH!

Troll.

JackyHemmingway. "Your" really impressing us. :)

Honestly, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I'd like to be able to have a discussion about the coach. I am, however, a spy.

Having visited the worst UK board recently, I know there is much concern that Tubby will get a banner in Rupp Arena. Having (from their view) successfully run two coaches out on a rail lately using the internet as a tool, they seem committed to doing what they can to make trouble for Tubby here. Logically of course: They think if he is successful here he is a shoe in for a banner - which would (for whatever reason) kill them. A few report on the happenings here - saying that we're letting him off the hook - and say they do not post but I don't believe that.

The two most active threads there today are all about Tubby.

BTW: There are even quotes from FOT posted there, so while FOT feels he is "helping" coach out he's actually just drawing these clowns to our site.

Coach Smith...

Hmm. I smell ANOTHER Kentucky racist recently joined GH in Jan 2010. Hmm.

Completely 100 percent hogwash...sounds like he's running a 5th grade team then...

Coach Smith...

Incorrect. Tubby's Ball Line Defense isn't a "gambling" defense in the conventional sense. You're not playing the passing lanes and trying for steals. It's a very complicated defense and I can understand where you'd think "he's out of position" but that isn't true. The entire philosophy of the Ball Line D is predicated around preventing easy shots close in to the basket and forcing longer shots on the perimeter. It's not an easy defense to play and requires quick thinking and extremely fast reaction to prevent getting burned by ball reversal.

You're correct on the last part: You had better play defense the way he wants you to or you'll sit.

There is actually some truth in this. I've seen Tubby implement this "rule" with his later teams at Kentucky because they just didn't like each other very much: Rondo and Sparks being two prime examples of that. But it's a misnomer to say that's a core part of what he does on the offensive end.

You're not getting an offensive system with Tubby Smith. Over the years he's experimented with a lot of different looks: the High-Low, some 4-Out motion and even the Flex used by Tom Davis where you invert your guards and bigs. What Tubby does like is playing through his post people and playing inside out.

There's no "pass rule" though.

That's not. If you make a dumb mistake or commit a stupid turnover you're coming out. Tubby does have some odd and mindboggling substitution patterns at times but I don't think you can make the case that he's automatically pulling a player for making a common foul.

There's no denying that (especially for younger players) that playing for Coach Smith is hard. His defense is complicated and requires everyone to know and do their job. He is prone to not having a lot of patience with players in certain areas like rebounding and defense. Chuck Hayes famously said he didn't even understand Tubby's defense totally until his Senior Year.

I don't know... I have a tendency to believe the guy with 6 posts when he comes in with a strong knowledge of Tubby's coaching.

Incorrect. Tubby's Ball Line Defense isn't a "gambling" defense in the conventional sense. You're not playing the passing lanes and trying for steals. It's a very complicated defense and I can understand where you'd think "he's out of position" but that isn't true. The entire philosophy of the Ball Line D is predicated around preventing easy shots close in to the basket and forcing longer shots on the perimeter. It's not an easy defense to play and requires quick thinking and extremely fast reaction to prevent getting burned by ball reversal.

You're correct on the last part: You had better play defense the way he wants you to or you'll sit.

There is actually some truth in this. I've seen Tubby implement this "rule" with his later teams at Kentucky because they just didn't like each other very much: Rondo and Sparks being two prime examples of that. But it's a misnomer to say that's a core part of what he does on the offensive end.

You're not getting an offensive system with Tubby Smith. Over the years he's experimented with a lot of different looks: the High-Low, some 4-Out motion and even the Flex used by Tom Davis where you invert your guards and bigs. What Tubby does like is playing through his post people and playing inside out.

There's no "pass rule" though.

That's not. If you make a dumb mistake or commit a stupid turnover you're coming out. Tubby does have some odd and mindboggling substitution patterns at times but I don't think you can make the case that he's automatically pulling a player for making a common foul.

There's no denying that (especially for younger players) that playing for Coach Smith is hard. His defense is complicated and requires everyone to know and do their job. He is prone to not having a lot of patience with players in certain areas like rebounding and defense. Chuck Hayes famously said he didn't even understand Tubby's defense totally until his Senior Year.

Nothing really hard about tubby's vaunted ball-line defense. You know the one he learned from that coaching legend, Barnett who won exactly.............oh yeah, nothing!!

It is nothing but a glorified zone. Stay between the goal and the ball, "you, ball, man" I've heard tubby say it a million times.They will deny passes to the post, but, encourage passes from the post to the outside. That's a great idea with the 3 point line, huh?

I played college ball when there wasn't a 3 point line. We played a lot of ball-line then too. It's a pretty good defense to stop penetration and easy shots inside and force the opposition to take 20 foot jump shots. Doing that today with the 3 point line and the shot clock is as outdated as saddle oxfords and poodle skirts.

tubby is what tubby is, you can't put enough lipstick on that pig.

Nothing really hard about tubby's vaunted ball-line defense. You know the one he learned from that coaching legend, Barnett who won exactly.............oh yeah, nothing!!

It is nothing but a glorified zone. Stay between the goal and the ball, "you, ball, man" I've heard tubby say it a million times.They will deny passes to the post, but, encourage passes from the post to the outside. That's a great idea with the 3 point line, huh?

I played college ball when there wasn't a 3 point line. We played a lot of ball-line then too. It's a pretty good defense to stop penetration and easy shots inside and force the opposition to take 20 foot jump shots. Doing that today with the 3 point line and the shot clock is as outdated as saddle oxfords and poodle skirts.

tubby is what tubby is, you can't put enough lipstick on that pig.

Link?

I don't know... I have a tendency to believe the guy with 6 posts when he comes in with a strong knowledge of Tubby's coaching.
Funniest line tonight when a bit of humor (well, intentional humor) is lacking. Thanks for the laugh! ... :clap:

You're not sagging to the ball-line on the strong side. You're pretty much playing straight up and trying to pressure on the ball. That's why Rondo struggled in Tubby's defense (and Doc Rivers has had these same problems with him in Boston) because he didn't care for good, solid in your face man-to-man. He just wanted to gamble-and he got burned many times. Cliff Hawkins was a great man to man defender who would pressure the ball.

The "weak link" in the Ball Line D has always been ball reversal. If you can whip the ball to the opposite side of the floor quick enough you'll get burned because the weak side defenders have sagged down almost into the paint to "help" and you end up having to recover quickly on the fly or you'll give up a wide-open three or a drive; which then pulls your entire defense out of position because now the opposite side has become the weakside help and you can pitch out for another three. Which is why the Dribble Drive killed us when we played Memphis in Maui in 06.

And if you want to complain about Zone defenses (which I do but just because I view them as a tactical tool like Tubby or Roy Williams and not a strategic one like Cheney or Boheim) that defense is built around inviting the 3 point shot.

IF Tubby required 5 passes before a shot Westbrook would never play. Simple as that.

Top Bottom