From Marcus Tweet Royce is officially done

What a great day to be a Gopher fan... I didn't think it could be worse than being a Gopher fan in the 2000's, but the 2nd decade of the 2000's is sure getting off to a "great" start.

You certainly have a point. But, it wasn't a picnic in the 70's, 80's and 90's eithers.

We will never miss what we never had. Kind of like me and money. :)

The bad news just won't stop rolling in. I really don't understand what happened after he finally seemed on track. I realize the trespassing charges came out, but I don't see why it really mattered whether he was found guilty of them or not. We know what he did either way, why should the final verdict make a difference in his status? I suppose he figured he would still get to play this season once he returned to practice. I guess I don't understand why that door was shut because of his legal issues still going. They're trespassing charges, seriously now. I guess he wouldn't have necessarily been given a chance either way.

White was quoted as saying that he had stopped practicing a couple of weeks ago, but I can't believe how many people buy his version of Royce the Victim. White quit, nobody else is responsible for that; as a matter of fact, my only criticism of the way the U handled things is that Tubby probably went too far in putting up with all of this BS.

Glad to see this one over I guess. Sorry, but I'm hoping for one more Youtube from Royce. I'd love to get the gory details on everything we didn't hear.

On the bright side - Trevor has a trial/hearing date on Monday!

Next!

You certainly have a point. But, it wasn't a picnic in the 70's, 80's and 90's eithers.

I was around to experience part of the 80's and all of the 90's and the 00's were the worst. In the 90's we at least had a final four appearance and not much positive in football. In the 00's we somehow managed to go the entire decade without winning a single NCAA tournament game and continued with little positivity in football (including tying the school record for most consecutive losses to Iowa at 5). Essentially in the 00's Gopher basketball failed to be relevant at all and the football programs ineptitude was magnified by some good seasons at Iowa and Wisconsin.

That's true about him being impatient. I remember getting the idea that he was finally on track but I think it was because he believed he would be given the chance to play this year. Too bad he didn't follow Trevor's path.

It would be interesting to hear how much support he got from his teammates, coaches, family, and mentors to stay. I can't imagine that all that many people told him he'd be better off dropping out. This is really going to come back to bite him.

I think it's a case of him(Royce) being impatient and getting bad advice from whatever brain-trust that surrounds him. i honestly wish him the best. If he wants to play pro-ball and is capable of it with a bit more experience,
I think the easiest road was keep laboring away in Tubby's doghouse, prove his commitment level, get onto the roster even if that means waiting till next year, and have an incredible year in the Big Ten. Then make a decision. It would involve swallowing some pride and actually thinking of the team. But, he's chosen a different path.

I'm disappointed as well. Sorry guys, but we've got very little coming in next year and there doesn't appear to be a whole lot that's going to step up next season so far. I know that's pessimistic..sorry. The recruiting for next year was not predicated on what was going to happen this year. It was certainly unforeseen .. but now what? Unless they can talk a super stud to come in here like Cory Joseph and who knows if he's coming or not - we're f'd.

Regarding Trevor .. given the way things have gone lately for Gopher athletics I would flee the country before your trial. If the bad karma is rubbing off on you there isn't a chance in hell you're going to be found innocent.

For Royce? You gotta wish the kid well wherever he ends up but I see a bad ending in this for him down the line. Such a shame too. Smart kid .. knows more than anyone else. Bad combination.

Hey folks....Royce expected to play at MSU, OSU and for sure by PSU....Why do you think he quit?

I will retract my comments.....he will not be playing at PSU..there you have it!.....let's hope you
all who feel vindicated and great about how you have now purged the evil one from the Gopher program don't see PSU's first Big Ten win this year come Saturday....

Hey folks....Royce expected to play at MSU, OSU and for sure by PSU....Why do you think he quit?

I will retract my comments.....he will not be playing at PSU..there you have it!.....let's hope you
all who feel vindicated and great about how you have now purged the evil one from the Gopher program don't see PSU's first Big Ten win this year come Saturday....

So now you're pulling for Penn State?

Nobody here feels vindicated by a young man messing up his life. AND no one was purged from the program, Royce White QUIT. He was still on scholarship, he had been allowed to return to practice, now there was just the matter of hard work and patience. Not immediate gratification.

Guess what, players don't get to decide when they play, or if they play. That is done by the coach. He does that based on his perception of the players talent, skill, and commitment. Royce was still a long way from proving he deserved to playing in games. BUT the way was there. GO TO PRACTICE. Get there early. Work your tail off. Expect nothing. After awhile things would have solved themselves.

Just because he expected to play in those games and didn't get to means he was justified in quitting the team? Please explain how him expecting to play makes it acceptable for him to quit after he didn't get to.

Although I don't agree with how everything was handled, especially the laptop incident, he still should've owned up to what he did a little more, apologized to the team, university, and fans, and been patient. If he had done that, then people would see him as more of a victim. Right now, it's hard to feel sorry for Royce, and this is coming from one of the people who thought Royce should be playing soon. I was still pulling for him even after all the crap he's done. He's really let a lot of people down and he's going to regret his decision pretty badly. I thought he had a good chance of making the NBA had he stayed here, now I don't really think he'll make it with his history and lack of height for his position.

He was frustrated. Without a clear policy on the basis for his return to games.
I am sure Royce felt picked on and singled out vs how some students issues were handled in other U of M programs. I agree that he did not handle it or respond correctly or with maturity. He just wanted to play and was totally frustrated by the treatment he recieved from the University Police and the AD's office. He was judged by an open ended and ambiguous policy that cannot even be explained. You and I would have handled it differently, I am sure. That said --it is an unfortunate result to a pooly handled situation all the way around. I hold the AD's office accountable for the way this Circus twisted and turned.They need to rise above the situation and handle problem childern with consistency and enforce misconduct policy even handed.

I am not pulling for Penn State. I just think this team is really struggling and I have no confidence in their ability to win on the road.

Glad to see this one over I guess. Sorry, but I'm hoping for one more Youtube from Royce. I'd love to get the gory details on everything we didn't hear.

On the bright side - Trevor has a trial/hearing date on Monday!

Next!

why does everyone kiss trevors butt. If royce was charged with what trevor was charged with he would be crucified by the posters here and by the public.

I guess its the acceptable negro that Dave Chapelle talked about.

royce and trevor were both screwed by the Athletic Dept....not Tubby.......

royce and trevor were both screwed by the Athletic Dept....not Tubby.......

How exactly was Trevor screwed by the athletic dept.? If innocent, don't flee the city. Man oh man people. Two guys messed up big time and I'm supposed to feel bad for them? Everyone hopes for the best with Trevor, but he did nothing to help himself with that situation.

why does everyone kiss trevors butt. If royce was charged with what trevor was charged with he would be crucified by the posters here and by the public.

I guess its the acceptable negro that Dave Chapelle talked about.

Nobody's kissing Trevor's butt (at least, I'm not). It's a simple fact that he has kept his mouth shut, has been going to classes, has been practicing with the team and supporting his teammates since charges were brought against him. Royce on the other hand? All we've heard from him is how victimized he is and now that he didn't get his way, he quit altogether. So you tell me, which is preferable?

And as a side note, how you could misconstrue that into being an "acceptable negro" is frankly beyond me. I would simply call it being an "acceptable teammate."

Top Bottom