From Marcus Tweet Royce is officially done

North Country

Reaction score
"Shooter breaks another one. Royce White officially withdraws from school, according to A.D. Joel Maturi."

It's been fun. All right, clarity is good. Hit the recruiting trails Tubby.

Nothing to see here folks. Let's move on.

What a disappointment.

in about a hour we also lose Seantrel to USC.. bad day all around.

Glad this is over. No need to speak of 'the player' anymore (channeling Bill Parcels).

Maturi handled this so bad, it's not even funny. If they were gonna cut him loose, they should've done it a long time. Yes, Royce bears responsibility, but to string him along and then cut the cord is stupid.

Maturi handled this so bad, it's not even funny. If they were gonna cut him loose, they should've done it a long time. Yes, Royce bears responsibility, but to string him along and then cut the cord is stupid.

RW quit, you tool, he didn't have "the cord" cut by Maturi.

Ky - Most of what Royce did is known. Almost none of what Maturi or Tubby had to deal with here is known. They are not even allowed to defend themselves. White set some sort of short term record for minor and major misbehavior in his stay at the U. These guys never knew when they woke up in the morning what White would do next. So who had who on a string? We'll never know.

Chalk this up to bad decisions made by, and terrible advice/counsel given to, Royce White.

I wish him well.

The gophers can now turn their attention toward finishing this season out strong and coming back next year with Nolen, Mbakwe, potentially four new recruits now, and the returning players. I still like our chances over the next couple years of challenging for the BT title.

In the end, Royce never stole the laptops. I saw no reason why he couldn't play now. All he got was some flimsy trespassing charges that the DA wants to turn into a federal case. The kid is being railroaded and Maturi and Tubby certainly haven't helped the kid at all. What about second chances?

bga1 said:
Most of what Royce did is known. Almost none of what Maturi or Tubby had to deal with here is known. They are not even allowed to defend themselves. White set some sort of short term record for minor and major misbehavior in his stay at the U. These guys never knew when they woke up in the morning what White would do next. So who had who on a string? We'll never know.

+100

As a fan...the most disappointing thing is we lost a player that was supposed to put us over the top. No doubt, Royce is high maintenance and I think he thought he called the shots, but the kid can ball and those types only come around now and again. This is just turning into a terrible year for Gopher basketball and who knows if we will get another shot a a blue chipper in the Tubby era....

What a great day to be a Gopher fan... I didn't think it could be worse than being a Gopher fan in the 2000's, but the 2nd decade of the 2000's is sure getting off to a "great" start.

Strib Link

here is the strib link:

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/83484087.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUZ

Gophers freshman forward Royce White announced his decision to withdraw from school after a Monday court appearance.

On Wednesday, athletic director Joel Maturi said White has officially left the university.

"My understanding is that he has officially withdrawn," Maturi said via text. "We wish him well."

The Gophers released White from his scholarship Wednesday, according to a release sent by the team.

In the end, Royce never stole the laptops. I saw no reason why he couldn't play now. All he got was some flimsy trespassing charges that the DA wants to turn into a federal case. The kid is being railroaded and Maturi and Tubby certainly haven't helped the kid at all. What about second chances?

He wasn't kicked out of school. He was allowed to practice with the team. All he had to do was keep going to practice, keep his head down, his words out of the press, and sooner or later Tubby would let him play. Railroaded???? Seriously?

This is a case of someone making REALLY bad decisions. That someone is Royce White. To lay this at the feet of the coach and AD is insane. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's from the passion of wanting the gophers to win.

Where are those posters that said he would play at PSU.

He has always tested his limits........

and always gotten away with it because someone was always willing to let him slide because of his talent.

He will get another chance somewhere, but he will run out of opportunites soon.

I agree with those who hope he finds his way, but this is not a good fit for our program.

The bad news just won't stop rolling in. I really don't understand what happened after he finally seemed on track. I realize the trespassing charges came out, but I don't see why it really mattered whether he was found guilty of them or not. We know what he did either way, why should the final verdict make a difference in his status? I suppose he figured he would still get to play this season once he returned to practice. I guess I don't understand why that door was shut because of his legal issues still going. They're trespassing charges, seriously now. I guess he wouldn't have necessarily been given a chance either way.

The bad news just won't stop rolling in. I really don't understand what happened after he finally seemed on track. I realize the trespassing charges came out, but I don't see why it really mattered whether he was found guilty of them or not. We know what he did either way, why should the final verdict make a difference in his status? I suppose he figured he would still get to play this season once he returned to practice. I guess I don't understand why that door was shut because of his legal issues still going. They're trespassing charges, seriously now. I guess he wouldn't have necessarily been given a chance either way.

I think it's a case of him(Royce) being impatient and getting bad advice from whatever brain-trust that surrounds him. i honestly wish him the best. If he wants to play pro-ball and is capable of it with a bit more experience,
I think the easiest road was keep laboring away in Tubby's doghouse, prove his commitment level, get onto the roster even if that means waiting till next year, and have an incredible year in the Big Ten. Then make a decision. It would involve swallowing some pride and actually thinking of the team. But, he's chosen a different path.

They didn't cut hom loose. He quit.

And still no public apology. And there won't be one either as this is all about RW.

Top Bottom